Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Different players and completely different sizes, I agree with. The rest of your post is rubbish (and childish).

Ah well, barracking for a footy team is a passionate pursuit, and you obviously have a very heavy emotional investment in this bloke, so I suppose we can forgive your cavalier dismissal of simple facts and logical argument. I hope he eventually comes good for you. And for the club, if they persist with him. Have a nice day, I have to go and do some gardening now. ;)

Ah well, barracking for a footy team is a passionate pursuit, and you obviously have a very heavy emotional investment in this bloke, so I suppose we can forgive your cavalier dismissal of simple facts and logical argument. I hope he eventually comes good for you. And for the club, if they persist with him. Have a nice day, I have to go and do some gardening now. ;)
Don't eat the leaves.Remember the Bandicoot, eats roots and leaves.

I'm prepared to go on record and claim that Lincoln McCarthy will turn out to be a better player than Jordie Murdoch. McCarthy has something audacious about him. Yes' he short but so too was Chapman and Stokes and they did alright.

McCarthy to consolidate a spot in our best 22, gather around 17 disposals per game and kick roughly 28-32 goals for the year.
Totally agree. My tip for a breakout year.

My tips for 2015 breakout are Kersten, Thurlow, Murdoch, McCarthy.

Caddy, Guthrie, Duncan, Horlin-Smith to all improve moderately.

Kelly, Bartel to continue their slow decline.
Stokes, Enright, Lonergan, Rivers could all drop off, but I've not as convinced that it will.

Johnson to improve markedly, once he realises he has lost alittle more pace and so doesn't have time to over think it anymore.

Taylor, Selwood, Hawkins, to all stay thereabouts with the same high levels.

It is just a personal theory that Johnson plays his worst football when he has time to stop and think and doesn't have to just get on with it and make immediate decisions.

It is my own personal explanation for why he plays well in finals but badly against teams he should be tearing apart.

I'm not usually one for big statements but Murdoch will end up being the best of ALL our youngsters, IMO.

That is a big call but I agree that he will make it.

The comparison with Chappy is an interesting one. Completely different players yet in their third full year of AFL footy their goal numbers are almost identical. 22 v 23 goals. This is what we need in our forward line - as many players as possible who can support Hawkins and kick 20/30 goals each year. Kersten can. Bartel can. MClark can. McCarthy? Let's hope so. We need a more varied forward line - hate to say it - like Hawthorn's where the main target supported by many.

Murdoch is on the cusp of being that sort of player. He just needs to work on his consistency within games and in blocs of games, we all know that. But a look from above at his numbers shows that he's improving, obviously not as fast as we would all like, but he is improving.

Round 1

FB Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB Mackie Taylor Thurlow
C Guthrie Selwood Motlop
HF Duncan Clark Stokes
FF McCarthy Hawkins Kersten
Fol Simpson Caddy Johnson
Int Blicavs Bartel Murdoch Kelly

First emergencies: HS, Smedts, Hartman

Round 22/finals

Same team but
- Vardy in for Simpson (Clark rucking 40% Vardy 30% Blicavs 30%)
- Menzel in for Kelly

That is a big call but I agree that he will make it.

The comparison with Chappy is an interesting one. Completely different players yet in their third full year of AFL footy their goal numbers are almost identical. 22 v 23 goals. This is what we need in our forward line - as many players as possible who can support Hawkins and kick 20/30 goals each year. Kersten can. Bartel can. MClark can. McCarthy? Let's hope so. We need a more varied forward line - hate to say it - like Hawthorn's where the main target supported by many.

Murdoch is on the cusp of being that sort of player. He just needs to work on his consistency within games and in blocs of games, we all know that. But a look from above at his numbers shows that he's improving, obviously not as fast as we would all like, but he is improving.
I like everything about Murdoch but his spatial awareness...gets caught holding the ball too often for my liking.

Round 1

FB Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB Mackie Taylor Thurlow
C Guthrie Selwood Motlop
HF Duncan Clark Stokes
FF McCarthy Hawkins Kersten
Fol Simpson Caddy Johnson
Int Blicavs Bartel Murdoch Kelly

First emergencies: HS, Smedts, Hartman

Round 22/finals

Same team but
- Vardy in for Simpson (Clark rucking 40% Vardy 30% Blicavs 30%)
- Menzel in for Kelly

I think GFC is committed to GHS playing so he needs to be in the 22 somewhere. Otherwise I think you will be pretty close.

Have very little idea about our best 22 next year, but there are several players I am really looking forward to seeing.
Bews.
Toohey
Lang
Thurlow
Murdoch
Duncan
Motlop
Blicavs
Caddy
Simpson
Clark
Guthrie
Selwood
Hawkins
Taylor
Brown
Walker
THunt
We still have some exciting talent.

Last edited:
Have very little idea about our best 22 next year, but there are several players I am really looking forward to seeing.
Bews.
Lang
Thurlow
Murdoch
Duncan
Motlop
Blicavs
Caddy
Simpson
Clark
Guthrie
Selwood
Hawkins
Taylor
Brown
Walker
THunt
We still have some exciting talent.

Who aren't you looking forward to seeing next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who aren't you looking forward to seeing next year?
I've seen enough of Bartel, Kelly, Lonergan, Boris, HMc, Mackie(GHS) that I'm not especially hanging out to see their progress, tbh. Sorry to be so literal, because I really do like all those guys, guess my point is, there are lots of players at their best still worth watching, and I haven't mentioned Cowan, Menzel and Vardy- if all 3 are fit, dare I say it, we are right up there, but I've learned not to rely on IFFY players.

Last edited:
And if they have a reasonable pre season, Hamish works on his tank, Vardy makes good progress and as does Dawson, it's unfair to think that all of our rucks will yet again have terrible years. Optimism is a requirement at times, y'know?

And if they have a reasonable pre season, Hamish works on his tank, Vardy makes good progress and as does Dawson, it's unfair to think that all of our rucks will yet again have terrible years. Optimism is a requirement at times, y'know?

Hmmm........no it's not. Evidence is a requirement. We need to see McIntosh get through a full game without sucking so much wind the front row passes out from oxygen deprivation. We need to see Vardy get out on the field and stay there. Same for Simpson. It's all in question until then.

so he will get more then 19 brownlow votes?

s**t i better get on him now then
Sadly if he didn't get himself rubbed out so much in 2013 he could very well have one of those already.

Hmmm........no it's not. Evidence is a requirement. We need to see McIntosh get through a full game without sucking so much wind the front row passes out from oxygen deprivation. We need to see Vardy get out on the field and stay there. Same for Simpson. It's all in question until then.

Forgive me for not wanting to spend my days being negative on whats ahead for Geelong in 2015. I don't think it's exceptionally unreasonable for me to think that these things are a good chance of going well going forward - Hamish should be better after a full year, especially if he gets through a full pre-season uninjured. Vardy will come good.

All in all, I don't think it's an enjoyable life for those that just want to be so negative all the time...

Bews.
Thurlow
Murdoch
Duncan
Motlop
Blicavs
Caddy
Horlin-Smith

I'm expecting these guys to all play week in week out and take a step forward this season. I'm watching out for Menzel, Vardy, Kersten, Walker and JK with far less expectations and am hopeful Jansen, Lang and Hartman can have an impact working their way into the team.

Best team for me would be:

FB: Bews Lonergan Rivers
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Caddy Blicavs
HF: Stokes Clarke? Motlop
FF: Bartel Hawkins Murdoch
R: McIntosh Selwood, Guthrie, GHS
I/C: Kelly S.J Thurlow
Sub: ??

Big concerns in the ruck and in terms of clearance again this season with no obvious solution. For me the side is better but unless someone turns into a Selwood level clearance player we're going to fall massively short in that department. Can't see any of the ruck men doing much either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back