Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah assume with the addition of Clark and Vardy to the side that we have a better ruck division potential (even if Vardy plays mainly CHF) - with Blitz in the side as well.

But agree start getting another player groomed for a KPB. I reckon Lonergan may go at the end of this season.

The most likely seem to be Walker and Blitz.

What people forgot in the Frawley debate was who will be our next KPB ? If GFC wanted to catch teams like Port, Hawks and Sydney - then we need some key personnel changes - and quickly.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
FB. Blicavs. Lonergan. Enright
HB. Mackie. Taylor. Guthrie
C. Motlop. Selwood. Duncan
HF. Stokes. Clark. Bartel
FF. McCarthy. Hawkins. Kersten
Fol. Simpson. Caddy. Johnson
Int. Christensen. Murdoch. Rivers. Varcoe

Emerg. Kelly Thurlow Horlin-Smith

- Play Blicavs 50% in defence to begin to learn the craft, to groom him for KPD role post Lonergan
- Lang, Kolo, Smedts, Thurlow, Bews, Hartman to get 5 - 12 games. Jansen to also play some. HS to play most.
- Use Brown & walker when needed if injuries occur
- Start Vardy in the VFL to get some continuity and bring in when form permits. Can play Clark and Vardy 50% ruck/Forward, with Blicavs used as well.
- if Menzel plays 5 games in the VFL bring him in. Don't care about form, I want him to get on the big stage as a sub again.

Pie with sauce

Debutant
Nov 28, 2009
yallambie
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leeds United
B: Bews Lonergan Hamling
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: Bundy Caddy Hartman
HF: Motlop Clark Johnson
FF: Kersten Hawkins Lang

R:Blitz, Selwood, Duncan

I/C Guthrie, Thurlow, Vardy, Bartel

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know what's going to happen by the time the finals start next season, as per the OP, but I think we can take it as read from the MC's voting last night that controversial (to some posters' minds, anyway) players
Kelly, Murdoch, Mackie, Varcoe, Horlin-Smith and McIntosh
are, barring injuries or trade-outs, going to be in our Rd 1 line-up.

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
Has there ever been a time when everyone's best 22's have been so dramatically different? Next season looks to be a great unknown.
Definitely. So much depends on which seniors decline and/or which young guys really stand up and grab their opportunities. Hopefully we see a lot of the latter because that's exactly what we need right now, if not only just to inject some new energy into the side.

Aug 20, 2013
FB: Bews - Lonergan - Enright
HB: Mackie - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Johnson - Christensen
HF: Kersten - Clark - Motlop
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Vardy
R: Blicavs - Selwood - Caddy
INT: Bartel - Murdoch - GHS - Stokes (sub)

Rivers for Bews depending on the opposition.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
Why are people dropping Rivers when he was close to our best defender this season? And if we cant even fit Rivers in where exactly were we going to put Frawley?
Because we're too tall in defence. Have been for a while. Rivers had an outstanding year and will get plenty of opportunities in 2015 (depending on the opposition).

We've had a bad habit of picking our 22 best players rather than a balanced, well-rounded team. This must stop!

Aug 20, 2013
how could anyone put Blicavs ahead of Simpson and McIntosh as a number one ruck in a best 22. By definition a best 22 is when no players are injured. Did you not see Blicavs get slaughtered by Goldstein in the final?
Who are the talls in your best 22? Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers, Clark, Hawkins, Vardy, Walker, McIntosh, Simpson, Blicavs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Who are the talls in your best 22? Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers, Clark, Hawkins, Vardy, Walker, McIntosh, Simpson, Blicavs?

Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers in defence.
McIntosh and Clark as ruckmen.
Hawkins and Walker as key forwards.

I'd love to say Simpson as first ruck, but just can't see him staying fit. Or being preferred to McIntosh.

Aug 20, 2013
Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers in defence.
McIntosh and Clark as ruckmen.
Hawkins and Walker as key forwards.

I'd love to say Simpson as first ruck, but just can't see him staying fit. Or being preferred to McIntosh.
Who accompanies Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers in defence? Mackie, Enright and... Not enough rebound and too slow for mine.

McIntosh isn't suited to the modern game, IMO. Not dominant in the ruck (Sandilands), and not good enough around the ground (Ryder). I'd prefer Simpson (Sandilands) or Vardy (Ryder). Obviously their injury history is the big concern, as you mentioned.

Just my opinion but I think we need more run from every third of the ground in 2015.

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
FB: Bews - Lonergan - Enright
HB: Mackie - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Johnson - Christensen
HF: Kersten - Clark - Motlop
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Vardy
R: Blicavs - Selwood - Caddy
INT: Bartel - Murdoch - GHS - Stokes (sub)

Rivers for Bews depending on the opposition.

stokes as sub?
his first half of the season was very good

humma?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Who accompanies Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers in defence? Mackie, Enright and... Not enough rebound and too slow for mine.

McIntosh isn't suited to the modern game, IMO. Not dominant in the ruck (Sandilands), and not good enough around the ground (Ryder). I'd prefer Simpson (Sandilands) or Vardy (Ryder). Obviously their injury history is the big concern, as you mentioned.

Just my opinion but I think we need more run from every third of the ground in 2015.

Not disagreeing at all. Furthermore, on Planet Earth in 2015, Vardy will be picked ahead of Walker, and Blicavs will be getting 9 touches on a wing rather than rucking in the VFL. Doesn't mean it should work like that, but I'd be surprised if all those players weren't out there.

Aug 20, 2013
I agree. I also think we need an experienced player as the sub; someone who can give us some real impact when they come on (as Stokes has in the past).

Humma?

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
I agree. I also think we need an experienced player as the sub; someone who can give us some real impact when they come on (as Stokes has in the past).

Humma?

im hoping in 2015 stokes can give us some impact from the first bounce, just like he did before his injury

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
Fair enough, I hope you're right. I'd like to see an experienced player as the sub all the same.

a experienced player towards the end of his career who is happy to be sub with a fair bit of x factor

the great peter riccardi springs to mind, thou so does chapman

Aug 20, 2013
Not disagreeing at all. Furthermore, on Planet Earth in 2015, Vardy will be picked ahead of Walker, and Blicavs will be getting 9 touches on a wing rather than rucking in the VFL. Doesn't mean it should work like that, but I'd be surprised if all those players weren't out there.
I'm hoping the MC aren't so predictable next year... I won't be holding my breath though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back