BigFooty Official 2015 Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

# 59 GWS - Bailey Williams (Glenelg / 185cm / 75kg)

Has come to prominence in the 2nd half of the year with some really standout performances not the least of which was the 56 possession game vs Eagles. Has not come through any of the junior pathways and so clubs will look at him as someone with potentially even more upside than others given what they could do with him inside an AFL environment. What stands out about Bailey is that he has time.....oodles of it. He just waits longer in the congestion than other kids would do so he makes really decisions on exit. He is beautifully balanced on either side and his hands are exceptionally clean when the ball is on the deck. His ball use by hand is very good and he can handpass off either hand equally as well. His use by foot won't worry anyone and whilst its not hugely penetrating it is good and he weights and advantages his kicks well. He is already a good runner and tests well for endurance and uses it to best advantage to get as many stoppages as he can. He has some pace but again it will be something that clubs will look to work on with him and build that explosiveness from the stoppage. He is light but he has already shown he has the ability to add weight to his frame and that will continue to come. Its a massive call and he is nowhere near it but he does share Pendlebury traits and it is worth remembering with one year in the talent pathway Pendlebury improved out of site. Williams hasn't had that year yet but suspect he will in 2016.

Last edited:
# 59 GWS - Bailey Williams (Glenelg / 185cm / 75kg)

Has come to prominence in the 2nd half of the year with some really standout performances not the least of which was the 56 possession game vs Eagles. Has not come through any of the junior pathways and so clubs will look at him as someone with potentially even more upside than others given what they could do with him inside an AFL environment. What stands out about Bailey is that he has time.....oodles of it. He just waits longer in the congestion than other kids would do so he makes really decisions on exit. He is beautifully balanced on either side and his hands are exceptionally clean when the ball is on the deck. His ball use by hand is very good and he can handpass off either hand equally as well. His use by foot won't worry anyone and whilst its not hugely penetrating it is good and he weights and advantages his kicks well. He is already a good runner and tests well for endurance and uses it to best advantage to get as many stoppages as he can. He has some pace but again it will be something that clubs will look to work on with him and build that explosiveness from the stoppage. He is light but he has already shown he has the ability to add weight to his frame and that will continue to come. Its a massive call and he is nowhere near it but he does share Pendlebury traits and it is worth remembering with one year in the talent pathway Pendlebury improved out of site. Williams hasn't had that year yet but suspect he will in 2016.

Good get. I thought he would slide into the rookie draft but I think he has great vision, agility and composure and will be an asset to anybodys list.

I gave consideration to several of the academy and father son guys who have not been selected (Wagner, Silvagni, Cornell) given the lack of availability of those I feel strongly about in this draft. I also like the value of Will Snelling and Kade Answerth but having adding Kieran Lovell early and given Collingwood have a loaded midfield I just can't see who they would play in front of.

Given that I've gone with the best available list fit.

60. Collingwood - Marcus Adams (WA - KPD)
Adams is a super athletic key defender with a 2.9sec 20m sprint time, 24.85sec repeat sprint time, and 76cm vertical leap. In addition to having the athleticism he has the strength at 193cm, 98kg. Adams this season as a 22 year old in the WAFL made the transition from key forward where he was inconsistent at best to the dominant key defender in the competition. Adams has the ability to stop his direct opponents given his athleticism and strength, and does so consistently but on top of that also has the production with 322 disposals and 118 marks from his 19 games and strong intercept marking ability. Adams given this was only his first season as a key defender and is still young has further scope to improve.

In a Collingwood context Adams is someone with the ability to surpass Jack Frost and give the back half a better balance and also allow Reid to play forward which I feel is required for Cloke to get back to his best.

I gave consideration to several of the academy and father son guys who have not been selected (Wagner, Silvagni, Cornell) given the lack of availability of those I feel strongly about in this draft. I also like the value of Will Snelling and Kade Answerth but having adding Kieran Lovell early and given Collingwood have a loaded midfield I just can't see who they would play in front of.

Knightmare as per previous note those Academy and F/S kids you referenced cannot be taken in the National Draft as no bids were placed on them therefore the nominating clubs can either list them with their last selection or put them on their rookie list.

I will put up the rookie list with those players listed for their clubs tomorrow / monday.

Given that I've gone with the best available list fit.

60. Collingwood - Marcus Adams (WA - KPD)
Adams is a super athletic key defender with a 2.9sec 20m sprint time, 24.85sec repeat sprint time, and 76cm vertical leap. In addition to having the athleticism he has the strength at 193cm, 98kg. Adams this season as a 22 year old in the WAFL made the transition from key forward where he was inconsistent at best to the dominant key defender in the competition. Adams has the ability to stop his direct opponents given his athleticism and strength, and does so consistently but on top of that also has the production with 322 disposals and 118 marks from his 19 games and strong intercept marking ability. Adams given this was only his first season as a key defender and is still young has further scope to improve.

In a Collingwood context Adams is someone with the ability to surpass Jack Frost and give the back half a better balance and also allow Reid to play forward which I feel is required for Cloke to get back to his best.

Nice pick up. I think he'll be a similar sort of acquisition for whoever gets him as Baguley and Hibberd have been for Essendon. Don't know exactly his measurements in terms of arm span so could be just an illusion, but even at 193cm I think he'll be best utilised on the medium forwards rather than the talls as I'm not sure he has the reach to match them.

Of course the size of his biceps could just be making his arms look short!

Knightmare as per previous note those Academy and F/S kids you referenced cannot be taken in the National Draft as no bids were placed on them therefore the nominating clubs can either list them with their last selection or put them on their rookie list.

I will put up the rookie list with those players listed for their clubs tomorrow / monday.

If those players were nominated for the national draft then surely they would all be listed on page one for the clubs final national draft selection as per the normal national draft rules?

Why would players nominated by a club to go in the national draft go into that rookie draft? That makes no sense at all.

My understanding of the rules are that if a club nominates an academy or father son player for the national draft that they're national draft selections. And if a club does not wish to use a national draft selection on a player from their academy then it is free for all. Is my understanding of the rules incorrect?

Nice pick up. I think he'll be a similar sort of acquisition for whoever gets him as Baguley and Hibberd have been for Essendon. Don't know exactly his measurements in terms of arm span so could be just an illusion, but even at 193cm I think he'll be best utilised on the medium forwards rather than the talls as I'm not sure he has the reach to match them.

Of course the size of his biceps could just be making his arms look short!

I don't have any arm span measurements for Adams. My hope is with his speed and leaping ability that he'll be able to compensate if indeed he does lack some length, as well as the strength in the contest to make things more difficult.

It will be interesting in an AFL environment to see how much further he can take his game and whether he would settle as a pure key defender or something more like maybe a third tall. I'm not convinced he'll rebound like Hibberd. But with his ability to read the flight and take intercept marks, he certainly has those rebounding elements as well as the versatility to his game to play smaller if required.

Geelong, Pick 61 - Jordan Lockyer

Been in the system before with Sydney, came back to the WAFL and improved immeasurably. My view, after a brief look over the Geelong list, is another KPP backup could be useful, moreso than other positions.

If those players were nominated for the national draft then surely they would all be listed on page one for the clubs final national draft selection as per the normal national draft rules?

Why would players nominated by a club to go in the national draft go into that rookie draft? That makes no sense at all.

My understanding of the rules are that if a club nominates an academy or father son player for the national draft that they're national draft selections. And if a club does not wish to use a national draft selection on a player from their academy then it is free for all. Is my understanding of the rules incorrect?

If a nominated Father son or Academy player doesn't attract a bid, the club can choose to put them on the Rookie list, Mathew Hammelman is an example from last year. The player needs to be nominated for the national draft, to determined market value.

The advantage for clubs nominating players they could see as Rookie prospects, is they get priority access to them if they go to the Rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a nominated Father son or Academy player doesn't attract a bid, the club can choose to put them on the Rookie list, Mathew Hammelman is an example from last year. The player needs to be nominated for the national draft, to determined market value.

The advantage for clubs nominating players they could see as Rookie prospects, is they get priority access to them if they go to the Rookie draft.

Wasn't aware of that being the case.

The rules yearly seem to change after all.

Your understanding of the draft rules are correct. I don't know if it's working different in the phantom. The clubs can only put them on to the rookie list if everyone passes during the national draft. If they're taken in the national draft then the nominating club has the option to match - if they don't then the player goes to the new club. However I don't know if that makes as much sense in the context of the phantom where all the nominations and bidding was done beforehand.

Lets move on…..

The text from the AFL rules below;

"Clubs with Academy programs – the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants – should have the chance to pre-select local talent from the pool of players in their Academy between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts if those players nominated for but were not selected at the most recent National or Pre-Season Drafts."

yeah that is exactly right. Other reason being obviously is the the clubs need to be able to nominate all the kids they want and then let the bids come for them. If nobody bids them then it makes no sense the club has to (and for the matter has the list spots to) then list them with their last selection. Hence why they get to pre list them as rookies.

Your understanding of the draft rules are correct. I don't know if it's working different in the phantom. The clubs can only put them on to the rookie list if everyone passes during the national draft. If they're taken in the national draft then the nominating club has the option to match - if they don't then the player goes to the new club. However I don't know if that makes as much sense in the context of the phantom where all the nominations and bidding was done beforehand.

Last year (and the year before), as bidding was done prior to the draft, there was a 2 stage nominating process:
1. Club lists players they would like to nominate for the National Draft. Those that were bidded on by other clubs were met and then listed (eg Heeney, Liam Dawson). The players that attracted no bids were selected with last round pick in the National Draft (eg Josh Clayton)
2. After the main draft, clubs listed players they'd like to consider for Rookie Draft. These players may or may not be selected - either directly as local Category B rookies, or Category A where other clubs have the chance to grab them. Players that are not selected just go unselected.

This year, since bidding is done live during the National Draft, the nominating process is different yet again.
For example, Brisbane lists 6 players (Keays, Hipwood, Chol, William, Wagner, Weller) for consideration. At this point they won't know which of these players will attract bids in the National Draft - so at this point they're all potential senior list draftees. If say 3 of them go un-bidded on the night, then presumably they will be considered for the Rookie Draft. Whether those left over must be claimed by the club as Rookies - time will tell, but I suspect not, as there may not be enough list spots.

Lets move on…..

The text from the AFL rules below;

"Clubs with Academy programs – the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants – should have the chance to pre-select local talent from the pool of players in their Academy between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts if those players nominated for but were not selected at the most recent National or Pre-Season Drafts."

Those rules based on that statement confirm my previous interpretation of the rules was correct as it talks about pre-selecting the talent "between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts."

I'm happy to comply to whatever rules you have for this draft. I was just seeking clarity on what the actual rules are as well as the rules for this game and the rules of both now seem clear.

Pick 34 - Aidyn Johnson

At this stage all of the draft selections have some fairly big issues with their games. The depth just isn't there so I decided to go for a kid who has a lot of talent but has struggled all year with injury, in particular a long term Quad injury. Aidyn plays his best football on the wing and he looks to have the talent to be a good wingman as he has most of the attributes you look for in a wingman. He is a very good athlete he has good speed he has a rangy running style and can run and carry. He has a good vertical leap And is a good overhead mark. His disposal is also very good, he hits targets well and he hits the scoreboard, he had one game where he kicked four goals and was close to best on ground. He is a damaging prospect yet he is being judged primarily off 9 TAC Cup games in 2014 so there is a huge risk involved. He was not also a huge ball winner although I he is a damaging player. He could turn out to be one of the best wingman from the draft but he could also be a bust.

Those rules based on that statement confirm my previous interpretation of the rules was correct as it talks about pre-selecting the talent "between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts."

I'm happy to comply to whatever rules you have for this draft. I was just seeking clarity on what the actual rules are as well as the rules for this game and the rules of both now seem clear.

Bud I am not sure how. You / others didn't bid them in the process so they can be listed as rookies by the nominating club. That is what that rule text says. Also the way it worked in the Lions case last year (but granted that wasn't 'live'). Thats also what happens in the live process though. If they aren't bid on then they don't have to be listed with the last selection (as I think you were thinking) they can be listed as a rookie.

As you say these things are a bit complex but if unclear just pm and we can work through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back