BigFooty Official 2015 Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

21 Brisbane

Ben Keays

Ht – 185 Wt – 82

Keays was an All-Australian last year as a half forward flanker and backed it up this year again making the All-Australian side this time as a midfielder. He was a major reason Qld won Division 2 and was rightly given the medal for the best Div 2 player averaging 29 disposals per game following on from the 34 disposals a game he got at TAC level. He played a fair bit of senior football in the NEAFL including for the Lions and he stepped up to that level pretty easily always getting plenty of the ball.

Keays is an unquestionable ball magnet who works hard and has a great feel for where to run to receive the ball. He gets to dangerous spaces and demands to be used. He has worked hard on his running ability and is now a pretty good runner finishing in the top 10 at the Combine in the 3km. On the field he keeps moving and outworks his opponent. I followed him closely this year and the lowest number of disposals I can recall him getting was 21 disposals with him regularly getting over 30. When you consider how many games he played for the Lions reserves that is all the more impressive especially considering that the senior players often tend to look for their teammates as the 1st and 2nd passing option.

Keays did not time well in the 20m at the Combine but to me he seems to have decent functional speed. He does not have high top end speed but around the clearances he seems to have a quick first few steps. He does well at keeping moving in clearance situations so he already moving when he goes to accelerate which might give him the appearance of being quicker than he actually is. Keays has improved his clearance work quite a bit since last year and continues to do so. He is effective in clearance situations without being an elite inside prospect. He reads the ball off hands well, judges it nicely when to hold and when to go to the ball and has clean hands. His hands are a bit slow but he has seemed to improve in this regard over the year and he is serviceable at clearing the ball. He gets first hands to a lot of ball.

He has reasonable body size for a mid and pretty good strength. He holds his feet well in the contest and has a neat fend which seems to catch tacklers a bit by surprise. He backpedals well and uses this effectively to maintain space and buy time. When it is his turn to tackle he will do so and he picks up his share of tackles each game. He is not a thumping tackle but is generally effective.

One of my big issues with Keays after last year was his lack of hurt factor on his disposals. Sure he got a heap of it but if you were casually watching the game you would hardly notice him. He looked short 1st, 2nd and 3rd last year. This year he still looked short too much but he did show improvement in this area and there were definitely signs that there is a damaging player hiding in there. He is a left footer (with a functional right foot) who when required has decent penetration. When he lifts his eyes he showed a nice ability to pick out targets inside 50 with nicely weighted kicks. He is a much better kick when he has time and space and when he doesn’t he can be a bit untidy and he does lack a little composure. Up forward I thought he missed chances that he would have gotten last year and I would like to see him work to recover his goal kicking form as I see him starting his career as a HFF. His handballing is strong off either hand and he sets up play nicely by hand when he has a bit of time. He is not the quickest handballer in contested situations but seems to be improving.

Keays has good spatial awareness and seems to know where everyone is on the park. His ability to read open field play is up with the best in this draft and this allows him to get to the rights spots before others. His agility is decent without being anything exceptional and he is similarly a very capable mark without being considered elite.

The player who, for good reason, he most commonly gets compared to is Dayne Beams. I watched Beams as a junior and they did play very similarly. Both were big ball winners playing as inside out types despite them not being true inside players. Beams started his career as a flanker before moving into the midfield full time and I see the same happening for Keays. Like Beams I can see Keays adapting to the AFL pretty quickly and being a big ball winner once there. Perhaps a step below the true elites in the competition but certainly a very good player in any midfield.

51. Brisbane

Reuben William
Ht – 182 Wt – 79

William is a Sudanese kid who is not the typical raw 195+ cm we are starting to see come through. Instead William is a 6 foot half back flanker who plays a read and react game. By his own admission he is obsessed with AFL football and has been playing it for quite a few years now so he is not new to the game like many of his ethnic cousins. Prior to reading up on William I had expected him to be relatively new to the game given the improvement I have seen over the year. He is a much better player now than he was at the beginning of the season and has gone from a long shot to be drafted even as a rookie to a guy who I will be very surprised if he is not taken in the national draft.

I have really only seen William play as a HBF this year and I would not draft him expecting him to be anything else. He is not a close marking defender, instead liking to play a step or so off his man and back himself to read the ball in the air and to make up ground with his pace if he gets caught out. He reacts very quickly when the ball is kicked and often seems to arrive a couple of steps ahead of his opponent. He is a pretty good judge of the ball in the air but does occasionally misjudge it. He plays tall and watching him play I was expecting him to be in the high 180s rather than the low. He has a good leap on him and long arms. His stretch marking is a feature of his game and this often allows to make up for any slight misreads he makes.

He did not test at the Combine but from watching him play I would expect him to be in the low 2.9s over the 20m. Not elite pace but very quick all the same. He will need to build his tank before he can compete on an equal footing at AFL level but he is probably mid table of those seeking to be drafting at his position this year. William uses his pace nicely in his game but he does not go on the long runs that I would like to see from a guy with his natural gifts. He is a run 10-20m and kick it type of player. I would expect his coaches at AFL level will be encouraging him to extend his runs when he has an opportunity. Another thing he does not do is continue to work into 50 when the opportunity is there. He could have been dangerous doing this at the Champs but broke off his runs invariably at the 50 when there was space for him to run in and receive the ball.

William is quite strong in the marking contests but with the ball on the ground he gets buffeted around a fair bit and can go to ground a little easily. He does have a nice frame though and I think he will be a powerfully built unit after a couple of years in the gym. As mentioned above he is quick off the mark and is a balanced runner. He does have not a lot lateral movement in his runs but there is enough so that, going at the pace he does, he works through traffic pretty easily.

One of the biggest issues I had with William early in the year was his kicking. Over the course of the year though he has shown good improvement in this area and although there is still plenty of room for improvement you could rightly think that if he continues as he has recently he will be fine. In the couple of games I have seen of him later in the year he seems to have flattened his kicks out a fair bit. He also picks targets a bit more and does not just pump it long to a contest like he did too much earlier in the year. He is a balanced kick on the run and he is a nice low ball drop which makes his whole kicking action pretty reliable and it certainly looks pretty effortless. His kicking is best when he has some space and goes for the short to intermediate targets. If William does not get away an initial indiscriminate quick flick he can be a bit slow by hand and is prone to getting tackled whilst trying to work out what to do with it. He needs to work on keeping his hands free and punching out his handballs.

William has had some impressive games this year in the TAC, the Champs and in the NEAFL for the Lions. One of the most impressive came late in the year against the Swans where he managed 23 disposals, 10 contested and went at 80% by foot. That kind of performance against a team with a lot of AFL listed players gets attention. He seems to find space easily when defending and will work to link up going forward. This combined with his high marking style makes you take note of him when you are watching.

William seems like a mature kid who is truly appreciative for the opportunity he has to potentially have a career playing a sport he loves. He is studying at University already and coaches junior football in his spare time. This is a well-rounded young man who will work if you give him a chance. I am sure he will get one.

73 Brisbane

Corey Wagner
Ht – 180 Wt – 74

Wagner is a bit of the forgotten man of the academy players this year which I am sure pleases the Lions a lot. At the beginning of the year the Lions were massively high on Wagner and him being picked up by them was considered a foregone conclusion. He had a pretty good season but I think it is fair to say he didn’t stand out as much as many thought he would. That could be a function of him playing more of an inside role this year which does not really suit his strengths. To me Wagner did not really show any elite skills but he was solid in all areas and he could play at AFL level with some physical development.

The player who Wagner reminds me most of is Aish and particularly in regards to how they played in their draft years. Both are more suited to outside roles but were asked to play more of an all around onball role. Both were pretty good but it was clear to anyone with eyes that that was not the role which suits them best. Wagner, like Aish, is quite light bodied and whilst he cracked in he had trouble establishing position and holding it. He worked hard inside and got his fair share of clearances but he fumbled too often and did not do enough with his clearances for anyone to really consider him as an option in as a full time inside mid at the next level. It did show that he will go when he has to though and that with work he could hold his own with the second string onballers.

Wagner is a far superior athlete to Aish. He did not test at Combine but I heard earlier in the year that Wagner is a 16 beep runner and although that might be an exaggeration I think it is safe to assume he easily runs in the 15s somewhere given the running he does on the field. In today’s AFL that gets you drafted and as a footballer I would say he is head and shoulders better as a prospect than Billy Hartung was at the same stage. I have heard his earlier testing over the 20m was nothing to write home about but to me he seems to have pretty good functional speed. He might not be the quickest off the mark but once he is up and going you don’t see him get run down and I do remember him going away from a player at the Champs who supposedly had very good pace.

To me he looks a good athlete who is also a pretty good footballer. I like him best working on a wing behind the ball. He is a two way player and is far superior when he has space to work in. He tends to be a bit safe with his kicking and lacks a bit of hurt factor but there is potential for that to improve. He has a decent flat kick and his peripheral awareness in space seems great. He will sometimes take options where you wonder how he saw the player. He has reasonable penetration when he goes long but he mostly uses short to intermediate targets. By hand he is a bit inconsistent with him sometimes looking to have good penetration whilst at others looking a bit weak. As he gets stronger and works on it more I think he is fine in this regard. By hand he is neither particularly quick nor slow.

As mentioned above he is prone to an occasional fumble but he does attack the ball on the ground well and comes away with his share at pace. Overhead he is not much of a factor. He will mark in space but he is not a flyer although again if he needs to provide a contest he does and I have seen him come down with a few.

Wagner is definitely a two way player and will work just as hard defensively as offensively which is great to see in a junior. He will get back and help the backs and runs nice defensive lines to cut down opposition options. He is not really a hitter but he is a willing tackler and will pick his 4 tackles a game. Wagner also does a lot of the team things which coaches love. I remember at the Champs him running as a rear gunner for his teammate for about 40m to allow a shot on goal.

When I look at Wagner I see an elite runner who is also a very solid footballer. Maybe not elite in any one area but without any glaring weaknesses either. I compared him earlier to Aish and I could honestly see him stepping straight into Aish’s position in the 22 and losing very little in production offensively and with probably a fairly big improvement in defensive effort.

This kid is a bargain at pick 64, but it shows that height is something that really reduces value in the modern game.

For me mate it was probably more his kicking that I was a bit worried about. I will do a write up soon but that was probably the area I was a 50:50 on.

For me mate it was probably more his kicking that I was a bit worried about. I will do a write up soon but that was probably the area I was a 50:50 on.
Snoop
A loaded question I have been asking myself that I am going to throw to you.
What is the difference between Will Snelling and Ben Cavarra?
Will has had a great year while Ben has had two terrific years in the vfl after a storied tac career.
Enjoy
Ps skip pros has had heaps of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So just to clarify, am I only taking 2 picks (Port)? Isn't the minimum 3 or is that including rookie promotions?

By my count Port have 6 players coming off the senior list and 3 (including Sam Gray) coming in.

That means you should have one more pick in the draft.

Pick 67: North Melbourne - Andre Parella
Height: 203cm,
Weight: 96kg,
DOB: 21/09/1997
Recruited from: Sturt
Brief Profile: Parella was SA’s ruckman this year and he looks promising at 203 cm and 96 kg. He moves well and kicks the ball well enough, but he is pretty raw and has a lot of improvement in him.
I read recently that Parella has been playing football for less than 3 years. Considering where he has come from, he is maturing quite well. He has a LOT to learn, but he probably the 2nd best ruckman after Gach Nyuon at the Carnival (but then, there were very few good ruckman coming through this year).
Why did I go for a guy who is a long term project? Because North have only 1 real ruckman, and although he is very good, he is not immortal. If Goldstein goes down, then there is little to come up. North have moved on one good option and dropped Majak Daw to, maybe, a rookie. They need a ruckman who can come in. Now it is going to be a little while for Parella to be ready, he has the potential to be a top ruckman.

The other guy I was thinking about was Harrison Westoff, a tall defender from West Adelaide.

I was waiting for so long I almost forgot who I was recruiting for. Almost a serious error!

That is probably it for North. Any left over spots can be held over for the possible promotion of rookies (although I haven't heard anything yet), possible PSD picks and rookie spots. We are in speculation territory and I expect them to try before they buy for any other selection.

By my count Port have 6 players coming off the senior list and 3 (including Sam Gray) coming in.

That means you should have one more pick in the draft.

Gee Dub

Some where along the line i think i missed Kane Mitchell was cut (unless happened post me doing the order) so yes correct you have one more selection.

# 68 GWS - Nathan Broad (Swan Districts / 191cm / 82kg)

With clubs looking for speed and pace .....and more to the point the next Isaac Smith then think will take Nathan Broad here.

Tall and quick HB who have watched for a few years now and think can play a role in a couple of different areas. Was interviewed by a number of clubs in his draft year and has probably remained on their radars and wouldn't surprise to see him go given his improvement this year. Has terrific pace and tested really well at the combine for both speed, agility and endurance and from that perspective is ready to go. Kicking is good but not elite but few are in this draft.

One part of Broad game that probably does need some work is his tackle pressure. Only averages 1 per game and not sure that is good enough.

.....reckon he might end up at Collingwood.

Was pretty keen Brandon White but think will go with the more ready player in Broad

Chris25 you are up

Last edited:
Will Snelling (West Adelaide / 176cm / 75kg)

Terrific little midfielder from SA who has been a standout for some time now. Looks to have a terrific work ethic and the SA coach Phillips speaks very highly about his character. His form in the Champs this year really put him on the radar for a high selection along with his performances at senior level later in the year. He ticks every box insomuch as he reads the game very well, excels at stoppages, has acceleration, he wins his own ball, clean with his hands, good by foot, will tackle with real intent but the fear is his height will probably drop him back a bit. He recorded a fantastic beep result and the combination of all that will see him go and from then on its really up to him.

I actually picked him because whilst I think he offers something as a midfielder I would also look to develop him as a small forward. I think he is a really smart footballer who gets to good places and understands structures really well. He is strong, has pace and reads the game well and has a strong defensive element. Not sure he is a natural crumber but i think that could come and in that sense he might have a similar pathway to a Jaryd Blair and what appears to be Gregsons.

Last edited:
Snoop
A loaded question I have been asking myself that I am going to throw to you.
What is the difference between Will Snelling and Ben Cavarra?
Will has had a great year while Ben has had two terrific years in the vfl after a storied tac career.
Enjoy
Ps skip pros has had heaps of time.

yeah its a fair question. As noted above I think he has a couple of really elite elements as a midfielder (vision and hands) but if my club got him I would take him on a Gregson / Blair pathway and develop him as a small forward who can go into the middle. Seen enough of him forward to suggest to me he could play a role there.

Will Snelling (West Adelaide / 176cm / 75kg)

Terrific little midfielder from SA who has been a standout for some time now. Looks to have a terrific work ethic and the SA coach Phillips speaks very highly about his character. His form in the Champs this year really put him on the radar for a high selection along with his performances at senior level later in the year. He ticks every box insomuch as he reads the game very well, excels at stoppages, has acceleration, he wins his own ball, clean with his hands, good by foot, will tackle with real intent but the fear is his height will probably drop him back a bit. He recorded a fantastic beep result and the combination of all that will see him go and from then on its really up to him.

I actually picked him because whilst I think he offers something as a midfielder I would also look to develop him as a small forward. I think he is a really smart footballer who gets to good places and understands structures really well. He is strong, has pace and reads the game well and has a strong defensive element. Not sure he is a natural crumber but i think that could come and in that sense he might have a similar pathway to a Jaryd Blair and what appears to be Gregsons.
Great get Snoop and I'm surprised he slid this far. Snelling has elite hands and his kicking has improved enormously over the year. I have him in my top 5 SA prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back