2015 Breakout player predictions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Suban is easily more consistent and penetrating with his kicking than Pearce but does Suban get the ball enough to replace Pearce???
I think he is trying to play outside by starting inside too much. He is so wired to win the hard ball that he dives in at the ball when he really needs to be starting to get into space earlier because he isn't fast enough to break free like Hill or Pearce.

I think Suban will get involved more if his role is to get on the end of other player's extraction work.

The game has a few roles for midfielders in my view.

Slow, strong extractors - Pendlebury, Barlow, Mundy
Fast skillful kicks outside - Hill, Deledio
Slow grinding outside markers - Shiels, Brent Stanton, Barlow, Mundy, Mzungu

Suban isn't strong enough to be a super inside extractor, not fast enough to be a pure outside delivery player but if he has the tank to get into space and link up play then he could be a real weapon because the guys who usually perform this role are notorious ball burners.

From a structural point of view if Suban is playing as the half forward to offers the option in the back pocket, delivers forward well and then offers another mark and kick place in the possession chain it will result in Suban being chased. A guy like Lewis will be tasked with keeping his run out of the game and the likes of Hill and Crozier will enjoy that extra space.

I think our team needs another midfielder who wins these uncontested possessions. I thought about de Boer for the role, his running has hugely increased over the offseason and he can will himself into space but if he will turn into a Brent Stanton clone where he gets 30 touches and turns the ball over 10 times then we haven't gained anything.

Suban in that role could lift our "last 6" players up from chase and negate into real challenges for opposition coaches.

I think he is trying to play outside by starting inside too much. He is so wired to win the hard ball that he dives in at the ball when he really needs to be starting to get into space earlier because he isn't fast enough to break free like Hill or Pearce.

I think Suban will get involved more if his role is to get on the end of other player's extraction work.

The game has a few roles for midfielders in my view.

Slow, strong extractors - Pendlebury, Barlow, Mundy
Fast skillful kicks outside - Hill, Deledio
Slow grinding outside markers - Shiels, Brent Stanton, Barlow, Mundy, Mzungu

Suban isn't strong enough to be a super inside extractor, not fast enough to be a pure outside delivery player but if he has the tank to get into space and link up play then he could be a real weapon because the guys who usually perform this role are notorious ball burners.

From a structural point of view if Suban is playing as the half forward to offers the option in the back pocket, delivers forward well and then offers another mark and kick place in the possession chain it will result in Suban being chased. A guy like Lewis will be tasked with keeping his run out of the game and the likes of Hill and Crozier will enjoy that extra space.

I think our team needs another midfielder who wins these uncontested possessions. I thought about de Boer for the role, his running has hugely increased over the offseason and he can will himself into space but if he will turn into a Brent Stanton clone where he gets 30 touches and turns the ball over 10 times then we haven't gained anything.

Suban in that role could lift our "last 6" players up from chase and negate into real challenges for opposition coaches.

I think Suban and D. Pearce should be competing for the same spot.

I've always wanted to see Suban as an outside mid. Outside mids don't have to be particularly quick, but they need elite endurance

Good teams have versatile midfielders who play outside and inside as they are needed (for us it's Mundy, Hill and Fyfe). Suban isn't a good enough mid to do this. You don't want a situation where you have too many mids who can only play one role a la West Coast - pure outside mids are much more of a luxury than a necessity (and can be a detriment if you have too many). If there's room for him to play purely as an outside mid then I'm all for it, but I think D. Pearce plays that role atm so he would probably have to be dropped for Suban to come in

Remember when Hill was injured for a few weeks and Suban carved it up in his absence?

He had the skills required but he needs Ross to restructure slightly to have him in the team.

I'm not sold on the ditch Crowley idea, but, having a hard tagger out and a player like Suban in changes the team a lot.

I'll let the coaches do the coaching and the cobblers do the cobbling.

Crozier will cement himself in the best 22, following in the footsteps of Sutty and Neale.

Suban comes up in this thread every year and I am a huge Suban fan, but honestly I don't see any more improvement in him. I'll be happy with him starting on the field and then becoming the player who's subbed off. Just can't play four quarters consistently...unless it's against GWS.

Fyfe to win the Brownlow

I don't know what you're all talking about. Lyon doesn't develop youngsters remember.

I'm really excited to see what Crazier does this year. Been watching him with interest the last couple of years and he's just such a clean, silky player I've always thought his potential was enormous.

Reminds me of a Cylon Centurion from the remained Battlestar. :)

untitled.png

I think Suban and D. Pearce should be competing for the same spot.

Agree. I'd like Suban to overtake DPearce and model his game on Heath Black. He's got the obligatory raking left foot and that bit of mongrel - he just needs to slim down and improve his endurance. And from what I saw at the intraclub, he's been doing just that.

Agree. I'd like Suban to overtake DPearce and model his game on Heath Black. He's got the obligatory raking left foot and that bit of mongrel - he just needs to slim down and improve his endurance. And from what I saw at the intraclub, he's been doing just that.

Basically what i have been hoping for from Subes for about 3 years now, absolutely loved Blacky.

Hayden Crozier and Suban.
Suban needs to be given a good run at it though. Would like to see him given a five game guarantee to prove his value.
He still makes a great Sub though.
Crozier will have everyone talking.

I'm hoping Tanner Smith can stay injury free and steps up a bit this year. We badly need some young KPD options and the last couple of training reports sound encouraging.

Also Crozier- obviously and hopefully Sheridan.

I don't know what you're all talking about. Lyon doesn't develop youngsters remember.

I'm really excited to see what Crazier does this year. Been watching him with interest the last couple of years and he's just such a clean, silky player I've always thought his potential was enormous.

Reminds me of a Cylon Centurion from the remained Battlestar. :)

View attachment 112109

yeah that's what i thought :drunk: because all those youngsters who Lyon never developed at the Saints have since become amazing footballers....

Can't stand that dig the general public make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of my mates just constantly make comments on how Ross is destroying our list like he did at St kilda.....Denial.

Tried to put together a best 22 for 2018

Spurr, Smith, Ibbotson
C.Pearce, Silvagni, A.Pearce
Sutcliffe, Barlow, Hill
Crozier, Taberner, Walters
Ballantyne, Apeness, Mayne
Clarke, Fyfe, De Boer

Neale, Weller, Blakely, Grey

A few of the guys there could even lose their spots (Spurr, Mayne etc.). That's probably a fringe top eight side tbh but let's remember there's no trading, free agency, future draftees or surprise development of project players (Hurley, Hughes, Moller etc) taken into consideration either. Not to mention a 32 year old Mzungu or Dawson playing in this team is far from impossible, or even a 33 year old Mundy playing off half back. We might miss the eight once or twice in a mini rebuild but overall we'll be fine.

Tried to put together a best 22 for 2018

Spurr, Smith, Ibbotson
C.Pearce, Silvagni, A.Pearce
Sutcliffe, Barlow, Hill
Crozier, Taberner, Walters
Ballantyne, Apeness, Mayne
Clarke, Fyfe, De Boer

Neale, Weller, Blakely, Grey

A few of the guys there could even lose their spots (Spurr, Mayne etc.). That's probably a fringe top eight side tbh but let's remember there's no trading, free agency, future draftees or surprise development of project players (Hurley, Hughes, Moller etc) taken into consideration either. Not to mention a 32 year old Mzungu or Dawson playing in this team is far from impossible, or even a 33 year old Mundy playing off half back. We might miss the eight once or twice in a mini rebuild but overall we'll be fine.

I'm totally fine with how list is evolving.

The thing that $hits me with my bone head mates is they just blatantly ignore how differently our list is managed compared to how St kilda's list was managed when Ross was the boss.

The thing that $hits me with my bone head mates is they just blatantly ignore how differently our list is managed compared to how St kilda's list was managed when Ross was the boss.
Agree. We apparently have zero young talent playing according to some of my eagles mates which is clearly not the case in reality.

They're probably jealous because Lachie Neale or Cam Sutcliffe would be their second best mid.

Crozier and Taberner definitely look the most likely.

I'd say Crozier will play 20+ games, scoring a goal a game and averaging 16-18 possessions. Taberner I reckon will score 20 goals in about the same amount of games.

He only coached at the Saints for five years; this is his fourth year with Freo. I would be very surprised if by the end of next year we are in as diabolical a state as the Saints were at the end of 2011.

Turning it around, the list of players Ross has in substance introduced is quite extensive. Off the top of my head it contains Dawson, Sutcliffe, Spurr, Neale, Pearce, Clancee (was to be delisted), Walters, Taberner and Crozier. IMO 8 of those will be best 22 this year which is about a third of a team. Certainly no sign that drafting, trading and player development are not effective under Lyon.

Clarke could go crazy as could Croz. Would love Mora to tear it apart also. I really cant go passed Sonny tho. RTB has talked about him rotating through the middle and I feel as though the extra action is gonna elevate his status. Without injury there is little reason to think that SonSon won't be the most hyped player in the comp this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back