Analysis 2015 Breakout Season

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just FYI, it probably won't be any use replying to me as i havent been able to view ure messages for over 6 months. Just coincidence l decided to check this one...
And in answer to your question, I don't particularly rate Paine from what l have seen of him. I have seen Beams and l rate him so l don't have a problem with him playing.
Yes I realise that. I like replying though.

You've dodged my question though. You said you don't like Paine because he's from Collingwood, but so is Beams. I just thought maybe you forgot or something.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Yes I realise that. I like replying though.

You've dodged my question though. You said you don't like Paine because he's from Collingwood, but so is Beams. I just thought maybe you forgot or something.

Come on mate leave him be. You've given him enough grief already, yeah it was funny at the start now its getting a tad old. I dunno why we all need to take pot shots at each other (this is aimed at everyone not just you Haso) we are all here for the same reason. Lets all make a new years resolution to be nicer to one another because there are some members on this board that I feel are belittled a little too much and too often (I have done it as well I ain't a saint). One big happy family please everyone :):):):)

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Come on mate leave him be. You've given him enough grief already, yeah it was funny at the start now its getting a tad old. I dunno why we all need to take pot shots at each other (this is aimed at everyone not just you Haso) we are all here for the same reason. Lets all make a new years resolution to be nicer to one another because there are some members on this board that I feel are belittled a little too much and too often (I have done it as well I ain't a saint). One big happy family please everyone :):):):)
theptadisbands6.png

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
FWIW, I always saw Paine as considerably overweight and seriously lacking in pace last season, no doubt a product of his interrupted pre-season.

But whatever. Both of these deficiencies are obviously totally critical in a mid-size forward such as him.

I'd be very surprised if someone hadn't had a word in his shell-like that this season is make or break. There may be a role for him but it's entirely in his court to take the opportunity when it comes along. Kick 2 or 3 in a couple of hard games and let's see. After all, we persevered with Polkinghorne over an extended period in the vain hope he'd become the missing forward ingredient so there's little doubt the coaches see the need for a mobile, mark-competitive, goal-kicking medium. The hands he's got. I hope he comes up with the rest of the package.

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Having a breakout year for me is showing the potential to be an elite player and playing consistent footy week in week out. From the current group I think Mayes is the best candidate. Players like Close & Paine I don't see that in. They have the potential to be solid AFL players but I don't see them as being elite. Freeman and McStay are interesting ones, McStay in particular. He really could be anything and he would be my candiate for 2016 to have a breakout year.

Morgs_

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Or maybe it's because Close and Freeman are significantly better footballers.

I think Freeman will take a little longer to come on then some on this board are expecting. I think he got games last year due to injuries in our forward line. With Staker, McGuane and Paine all up and running, I believe Freeman will move down the order a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EskiBro

Debutant
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Nightcliff Tigers, PINT Greenants.
I think Freeman will take a little longer to come on then some on this board are expecting. I think he got games last year due to injuries in our forward line. With Staker, McGuane and Paine all up and running, I believe Freeman will move down the order a little.

I know he's only played 4 games, but I thought Freeman showed better glimpses than Close and Paine (who only showed glimpses as well) and hopefully all three are ahead of MGuane, I agree Staker is ahead of them all though.

Freeman did give nothing in regards to defensive efforts though, that's what might stop him getting more games if he hasn't worked on it.
Close and Paine have plenty to work on as well, but no one can doubt their efforts on the training track, that might put him ahead of Freeman. I haven't heard his named mentioned much in the training reports, but plenty about the other two.
I would love to see Close, Paine and Freeman as our KPFs this year (but just for one game and just out of curiosity, still need at least one of Staker and McGuane at this stage).

Morgs_

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know he's only played 4 games, but I thought Freeman showed better glimpses than Close and Paine (who only showed glimpses as well) and hopefully all three are ahead of MGuane, I agree Staker is ahead of them all though.

Freeman did give nothing in regards to defensive efforts though, that's what might stop him getting more games if he hasn't worked on it.
Close and Paine have plenty to work on as well, but no one can doubt their efforts on the training track, that might put him ahead of Freeman. I haven't heard his named mentioned much in the training reports, but plenty about the other two.
I would love to see Close, Paine and Freeman as our KPFs this year (but just for one game and just out of curiosity, still need at least one of Staker and McGuane at this stage).

I have seen Freeman on the track, the rehab track that is. I'm not sure what the injury is but he has been doing a lot of repeat running.

In regards to his defensive efforts, I think this might have something to do with his fitness levels. Once they improve I think the defensive aspect will improve as well.

I'm hoping McGuane is a stop gap for this year (unsure if he is contracted for next) in that it gives time for our younger players to develop and then take his spot next year. I think for this year though, it'll be Staker at FF and Close at CHF (just my opinion). Staker has put on the weight so he could probably take the first defender allowing Close the second defender so he can use his running capacity effectively. This would probably leave McGuane as the third tall.

The green man. Will be reconginized as one of the best small forwards by years end.

I agree with this. The only thing that could overshine him is if Mayes does in fact have a breakout year as a forward. If Green can kick 30-40 again, he will be acknowledged for it that's for sure. I was playing Australian Football Coach (new game from an indy developer, 10 dollars in beta atm, worth supporting) and he kicked 6 goals by the end of the third and got injured in the fourth. Even video games appreciate how lethal he will be!

Back