2015 Brisbane Lions Board Elections - Democracy comes to town Dec 17th

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously? Is "businessman stirrer" a euphemism for egotistical, megalomaniacal, narcissistic bogan? With very, very close ties to a political party and a couple of individuals in particular, I wouldn't trust that coffee is "all he is pushing".

My use of "businessman stirrer" isn't meant as anything other than my reading of the SMH article. It's not a euphemism for anything.

However, personally, coming from a family of 5 kids brought up in fairly deprived circumstances with a father who spent almost 5 years as a POW in Stalag17b, I've always found the descriptor "bogan" quite insulting. What does "bogan" mean? Poor background? Less well-educated than us? Less well-spoken? Less well-read?

What "bogan" is of course is a general put-down of those regarded as inferior by we superior beings who sit on high, judging those lesser souls scuttling around below.

Having met my share of politicians, successful business people etc, I dare say that many of them could be regarded as a just a bit abnormal. Focussed to the exclusion of just about all but the end objective. Poor family relationships. Egotistical. Opinionated. Many of them anyway. I don't think these qualities can really be used to exclude them from other duties.

And I'm buggered if I can think of what barrow a coffee entrepreneur might be pushing on the board of a football club, other than maybe wanting to do his bit for the club's betterment. But that's just me. Naive as always.

Having said all this, I stress I don't know Di Bella, and have no ulterior motive in expressing my usual totally ill-informed opinion.

My use of "businessman stirrer" isn't meant as anything other than my reading of the SMH article. It's not a euphemism for anything.

However, personally, coming from a family of 5 kids brought up in fairly deprived circumstances with a father who spent almost 5 years as a POW in Stalag17b, I've always found the descriptor "bogan" quite insulting. What does "bogan" mean? Poor background? Less well-educated than us? Less well-spoken? Less well-read?

What "bogan" is of course is a general put-down of those regarded as inferior by we superior beings who sit on high, judging those lesser souls scuttling around below.

Having met my share of politicians, successful business people etc, I dare say that many of them could be regarded as a just a bit abnormal. Focussed to the exclusion of just about all but the end objective. Poor family relationships. Egotistical. Opinionated. Many of them anyway. I don't think these qualities can really be used to exclude them from other duties.

And I'm buggered if I can think of what barrow a coffee entrepreneur might be pushing on the board of a football club, other than maybe wanting to do his bit for the club's betterment. But that's just me. Naive as always.

Having said all this, I stress I don't know Di Bella, and have no ulterior motive in expressing my usual totally ill-informed opinion.
Quite the reply.
Not sure how your father's experience relates to 'boganism', a term that to me, is more about attitude than fortune.
The man (Di Bella) is obviously no dummy, but chooses to be ignorant (specifically in the documented twitter outburst and subsequent refusal to apologise).
I think those qualities can be used to exclude them form being on our board (in my opinion).
I also have a problem with his general values, given the political figures (whom I find repugnant) he so strongly supports and the total distrust I have for their ethics and behaviour. (That's obviouly a personal, political opinion, but one I have trouble understanding the contrary of).

In comparison you must pine for a pie from TKO at Oatlands.

The world is a small place - this is where my cousins used to live when I was younger. Many family members grew up in this area first moving there is the 1850s. Not many left now through...

Selection criteria: 1) must not be what fits some member's description as a bogan; 2) must vote ALP; 3) must not know or associate with Can Do.

Keep going.
1) Must not be prone to making racist or sexist or homophobic remarks, particularly on social media
2)Can vote for whomever they want, but preferably not be bankrolling anyone's campaigns.
3)Should not be seen to be making deals or doing each other favours with politicians of questionable ethics.

If you were paying attention throughout the Springfield discussions, you would know that I have a strong dislike for dirty Labor pollies as well.;)

Enough with the Oatland's pies already. Anyway, the Richmond Bakery products are probably better.

My allusion to family circumstances was meant only to illustrate that I could easily fit the "bogan" descriptor. Which I probably do in any case.

Re keeping high standards of public discourse: if you would like some feedback [no irony intended] on the various dodgy remarks made around the silver service tables by some of our VERY senior sponsors please let me know privately. Giving them the boot would probably leave a bit of a dent in our finances, but then, if we are going to to be pure!!

Re bankrolling elections etc: do you appreciate your qualification would mean excluding all unions or anyone with a union connection? Anyway, none of Can Do's team is currently serving at Her Majesty's Pleasure? Yet.

Re latitude: Tassie is ABOVE the Antarctic Circle. Not that this is always obvious.

This is going to be a tough choice. I like Rizzler because he's passionate and stood up before others threw their hat in the ring. I like Kliemt because of his outstanding commitment and work with the Roar and I like Di Bella because of his Financial commitment and useful connections around town. Julie well I don't know anything about her. She needs a Campaign Manager
I wouldn't preclude any of them just yet and certainly wont be allowing party politics to influence my vote. Just what's best for the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to be a tough choice. I like Rizzler because he's passionate and stood up before others threw their hat in the ring. I like Kliemt because of his outstanding commitment and work with the Roar and I like Di Bella because of his Financial commitment and useful connections around town. Julie well I don't know anything about her. She needs a Campaign Manager
I wouldn't preclude any of them just yet and certainly wont be allowing party politics to influence my vote. Just what's best for the Lions.
What "financial commitment"?

Corporate box will set you back approx 30k per year with catering. Not small change. That's why there are so many empty. Would you pay 30k of your money to watch a losing team?

Corporate box will set you back approx 30k per year with catering. Not small change. That's why there are so many empty. Would you pay 30k of your money to watch a losing team?

They're going a fair bit lower than that these days. And if I had a company earning millions a year and could easily write it off as a business expense I'd be all over it regardless. The words Financial commitment imply that he's donating money to the lions when in reality he's purchasing a product. I don't financially commit to my local cafe each morning, I buy a coffee.

Probably about the same value as a set of tyres and a service on his Bentley. If I had his wealth, I probably would buy a corporate box, so yes, my answer would be yes.;)
Now, if he were a sponsor of the Club, I would say he has made a financial commitment.
All the candidates by your definition, have made a financial commitment, by being members. They can't nominate for the board without doing so, and that commitment is probably relative to their financial circumstances. It has always been a bug bear that some have a perception that a member's importance or relevance is dictated by how much they spend on membership, that somehow, because I prefer to sit in General Admission and that is what I can afford, I have less say in the place than someone with more available funds and prefers to sit upstairs. In turn, because someone has a squillion dollars and likes to sit inside, does not automatically make them a more valid choice for the board.

Probably about the same value as a set of tyres and a service on his Bentley. If I had his wealth, I probably would buy a corporate box, so yes, my answer would be yes.;)
Now, if he were a sponsor of the Club, I would say he has made a financial commitment.
All the candidates by your definition, have made a financial commitment, by being members. They can't nominate for the board without doing so, and that commitment is probably relative to their financial circumstances. It has always been a bug bear that some have a perception that a member's importance or relevance is dictated by how much they spend on membership, that somehow, because I prefer to sit in General Admission and that is what I can afford, I have less say in the place than someone with more available funds and prefers to sit upstairs. In turn, because someone has a squillion dollars and likes to sit inside, does not automatically make them a more valid choice for the board.

I don't recall giving you permission to speak General Admission peasant. :p

I don't recall giving you permission to speak General Admission peasant. :p
trpei-1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back