2015 Brisbane Lions Board Elections - Democracy comes to town Dec 17th

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall giving you permission to speak General Admission peasant. :p
As a prime member and the obvious bourgeois analogue I shall lead you, Skoob and your general admission brothers and sisters in revolution over TheBrownDog and his Premium aristocracy. Then we shall share the Matilda Bay and German sausages at least until you mob get rowdy and guillotine me.

They're going a fair bit lower than that these days. And if I had a company earning millions a year and could easily write it off as a business expense I'd be all over it regardless. The words Financial commitment imply that he's donating money to the lions when in reality he's purchasing a product. I don't financially commit to my local cafe each morning, I buy a coffee.

We often talk in terms of our memberships as being a financial committment to the club, arguably we are just purchasing a product.

I carry no torch for Di bella, but we haven't had many corporate friends the last few years and if someone has seen fit to make us his prefferred tax deductable client entertainment expense then good on him. Doesn't mean he deserves a spot on the board though, they should go to whomever can do the most for the club next year, not who claims to have done the most last year.

They're going a fair bit lower than that these days. And if I had a company earning millions a year and could easily write it off as a business expense I'd be all over it regardless. The words Financial commitment imply that he's donating money to the lions when in reality he's purchasing a product. I don't financially commit to my local cafe each morning, I buy a coffee.
Just as an aside - corporate boxes can be paid for by a business, but by and large are not able to be written off as a deductible expense. Sort of - it's complicated. You can, but then you pay FBT, so on a $30k corporate box, you're usually looking at a minimum of $15k of extra tax payable for Fringe Benefits.

Not really here nor there, but just something to keep in mind - I haven't read anything about the guy, but a $30k corporate box usually involves about $15k extra to the government for the priviledge.

Having met my share of politicians, successful business people etc, I dare say that many of them could be regarded as a just a bit abnormal. Focussed to the exclusion of just about all but the end objective. Poor family relationships. Egotistical. Opinionated. Many of them anyway. I don't think these qualities can really be used to exclude them from other duties.

I would just like to suggest you are spending time with the wrong kinds of politicians and business people if you're saying 'many' of the ones you've met fit that pretty derogatory description you've provided.

Just as an aside - corporate boxes can be paid for by a business, but by and large are not able to be written off as a deductible expense. Sort of - it's complicated. You can, but then you pay FBT, so on a $30k corporate box, you're usually looking at a minimum of $15k of extra tax payable for Fringe Benefits.

Not really here nor there, but just something to keep in mind - I haven't read anything about the guy, but a $30k corporate box usually involves about $15k extra to the government for the priviledge.

You're not thinking creatively enough ;) director's loans ftw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I should share the following message from Arthur Wilson, the Chairman of the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society.

Arthur has written to all Historical Society members (I think there are around 400 of us) urging Lions members to vote for fellow Historical Society member, Ross Thornton in the upcoming board elections:

I wish to advise full 2014 Brisbane Lions members with AGM voting rights that ballot papers will be dispatched to you on the 24th November and that one of our Historical Society members Ross Thornton a former Fitzroy player who played 146 games from 1980 to 1989, winner of the Best and Fairest Award in 1984 has been nominated for election. Ross has had an excellent business career and is currently working with McDonalds and has three very successful franchise business outlets in Melbourne.

To have Leigh Matthews as part of our current Board of Management with his excellent football knowledge and is greatly respected in the football world, we agree that with the election of Ross Thornton joining Leigh on the Board would certainly give us more stability in matters relating to our football team on and off the field.

It was my pleasure to nominate Ross Thornton for election and this was seconded by former Fitzroy player and Brisbane Lions Director Laurie Serafini.

On behalf of the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society we wish Ross all the best in the upcoming election and if successful we look forward to working closely with him here in Victoria.

Should you have any queries or questions please don’t hesitate to contact me on....

Arthur Wilson

For those that don't know, Arthur Wilson seems to have been one of the key driving forces behind the Historical Society since the merger, including of course its now fantastic museum at Etihad.

I personally will give his appeal a lot of weight, but I will make up my mind on who I vote for when I see exactly what each candidate has to say.

Although, obviously Leigh Matthews should / will get basically 100% support. Mick Power should easily get re-elected as well.

The other 2 incumbent directors (aparently Peter McGregor and Andrew Wellington http://www.lions.com.au/Club/about/board-of-directors ) may also be hard to beat given their financial experience. So that may just leave one spot up for grab for the four outsiders.

At the moment I am leaning towards Ross Thornton, but I am keeping an open mind as I think it would be good to have a candidate (James Kliemt) with strong links to The Lions Roar on the Board. I have sympathy for Chris Raleigh / Rizzler campaign, although ultimately I think you have to way up how much inexperience you vote on to the Board at once.

I am not interested in Philip Di Bella - not because of his politics, he just seems too much like another unpredictable tycoon.

Got the Lions Board election voting papers today. It would be good if the Club or someone on here could put the candidate statements online (TLR website perhaps?).

Votes have to be received by the Returning Officer by 5pm December 15.

I particularly wanted to point out that Leigh Matthews has strongly endorsed voting for the 4 existing directors up for re-election, i.e. himself, Mick Power, Peter McGregor and Andrew Wellington. I agree with that approach. (If I get time I will type out Leigh's statement in full).

Obviously that still leaves one spot up for grabs and there are actually 5 other candidates - Ross Thornton, James Kliemt, Chris Raleigh, Phil Di Bella, and Julie Greenwood (who I don't think has been mentioned).

While I would have liked to vote for James Kliemt, I think my vote will go to Ross Thornton who has made an appeal to the strengthen the Lions Melbourne membership base. His previous association with the Leigh Matthews / Williams board challenge last year, the endorsement of Arthur Wilson, and his ability to represent Melbourne based members is enough to get me over the line.

Here is Ross Thornton's statement, which I have copied out (hopefully accurately):

Ross Thornton, age 58. I am a life member of the Brisbane Lions Football Club. I played 146 games over 10 years. Was Best and Fairest winner in 1984 and a member of the 1989 Reserves Grade Premiership team. I coached the Reserves for 2 years before becoming assistant coach of the senior team for a further 2 years. During the last 2 years of Fitzroy's existence I was the team manager of the Senior squad.

I believe that it is imperative that we provide a strong Melbourne supporter base. Sydney Swans have shown the way in this field and I cannot see why Brisbane should not be able to grow its Melbourne / Victorian membership base to levels that exceed the records set during the premiership era in the early 2000's. With my strong Fitzroy association I believe we are now in a position to drive the Club's re-engagement strategies in Melbourne.

Would like to hear some actual ideas from Thornton to be honest.

Playing for Fitzroy is great and all, but it's not enough for me. Felt to me that Laurie Serafini cruised by at board level for years on account of being a former player, and I was thoroughly unimpressed every time I spoke with him. Very, very disengaged with plenty of Ivory Tower syndrome about him.

Not saying Thornton is the same, nor a one-note pony but I did find it a tad strange how much his bio lent on his playing/coaching career. Lethal's got us covered there.

It's pleasing to hear that Thornton has a lofty ambition to grow the Victorian membership... I'd just like to actually, y'know, hear some of his ideas as to how he will make it happen. He is definitely someone I'd consider voting for if he gives me more than "oi, I played for Fitzroy".

Obviously the bios on the ballot are subject to word limits, but candidates who are ridgy-didge and worth their salt surely need to get more information out there somehow.

Last edited:
Had a look through the candidate spiels today. Thought it was interesting that only one of the new candidates put up a website or any link to obtain further details about their campaign. I would have thought that given the character limit something like that would have been a given although tbh I haven't had any involvement with board elections anywhere else so not sure what the norm is there. Was good to get a few more specifics from that rather than just blanket words like "increased member consultation"

Felt to me that Laurie Serafini cruised by at board level for years on account of being a former player, and I was thoroughly unimpressed every time I spoke with him. Very, very disengaged with plenty of Ivory Tower syndrome about him.

The problem with Laurie Serafini is that he never had to stand for election in the first ten years of his board tenure, being originally one of the three "Fitzroy nominees appointed to he board of the club in 1997 and then was one of two Fitzroy directors that had to be on the board for a period of ten years. The board also traded on the fact that he was a Fitzroy great and could readily point to him whenever they wanted to emphasise the Club's links to Fitzroy.

But you're right. I was also quite unimpressed with Serafini. He liked the prestige of being on an AFL club board. His lack of performance over the change to the jumper and the logo in 2010 was abysmal. He retired rather than seeking re-election that year.

Last edited:
I'm with TheBrownDog in that I think we have playing/coaching experience covered at Board level with Lethal - undoubtedly one of the greatest at both of all time.

He's also a Victorian.

I don't think the fact that Thornton is from Victoria or has history as a footballer with Fitzroy has any bearing on getting Vic members more recognised.

The stumbling block for this issue at our merged Club is not necessarily those on the board, but most of the time, it's the AFL.

The problem with Laurie Serafini is that he never had to stand for election in the first ten years of his board tenure, being originally one of the three "Fitzroy nominees appointed to he board of the club in 1997 and then was one of two Fitzroy directors that had to be on the board for a period of ten years. The board also traded on the fact that he was a Fitzroy great and could readily point to him whenever they wanted to emphasise the Club's links to Fitzroy.

But you're right. I was also quite unimpressed with Serafini. He liked the prestige of being on an AFL club board. His lack of performance over the change to the jumper and the logo in 2010 was abysmal. He retired rather than seeking re-election that year.

I agree, Serafini was a huge disappointment as a board member, particularly towards the end of his tenure. He never really seemed to performed in any capacity other than as a token representative of the Fitzroy/Victorian supporter base. It always troubled me he seemed so comfortably just being a token yes man. I think that to have a Victorian board representative that is so benign is more damaging for Victorians than having none at all.

As Roylion points out, Sera was never elected, and he snuck out before there was ever any chance he'd not be re-elected. Thornton is a very different proposition, he is actively seeking election, is a grassroots footy person and a successful, self-made business person. That all puts him well ahead of what the Sera would have offered as a candidate.

Thornton put his hand up when the club was in trouble, back-room deals to avert an EGM meant that he failed, but now he's back. That resonates with me, and I'm genuinely curious to see him in action. Fitzroy connection aside, having a Victorian based board member is very important. Growing the Victorian membership base is an opportunity that the Lions have never excelled in, but that is almost of secondary importance. The Lions have a very strong legitimate connection in Victoria, and they are at a distinct advantage over almost any other interstate club to be able to build on it, including the Swans. Building that connection would strengthen not just their membership base and their balance sheet, but more importantly, it would strengthen their influence on the AFL.

It makes good sense to be more relevant in Victoria for all sorts of reasons. Thornton's connections at AFL level are broad and exciting. The recent article that outlined ex-Fitzroy players positions of power and influence is not something that should be left at being a mere curiosity. There are some very bright, successful ex Lions exerting their muscle at every other club except ours, wouldn't be a bad thing to put those bridges into use.

It's a real shame that there is not more than one spot available for unendorsed candidates on the board. Nevertheless it's very pleasing these people have put their hands up, it's healthy and exciting.

[QUOTE It's a real shame that there is not more than one spot available for unendorsed candidates on the board. Nevertheless it's very pleasing these people have put their hands up, it's healthy and exciting. [/QUOTE]

Despite what the current board says there are 5 spots available for election. The endorsement of the current board members by Lethal needs to be balanced against each members own thoughts about the existing board members and what they can bring to the board going forward. I encourage all members to consider whether Peter McGregor reveals anything specific in his candidate biography about what he has brought to the board over the last 3 seasons. Also, remember Andrew Wellington was appointed by the current board only 5 months ago, in a long line of board members appointing other board members over the last 10 years, he hasn't been elected by the fans. This is the first chance in a decade for the fans to have a say on the composition of the board, make every one of your 5 votes count, don't be swayed merely by someone's presence on the board with your votes.

. Fitzroy connection aside, having a Victorian based board member is very important. Growing the Victorian membership base is an opportunity that the Lions have never excelled in, but that is almost of secondary importance. The Lions have a very strong legitimate connection in Victoria, and they are at a distinct advantage over almost any other interstate club to be able to build on it, including the Swans. Building that connection would strengthen not just their membership base and their balance sheet, but more importantly, it would strengthen their influence on the AFL.

It makes good sense to be more relevant in Victoria for all sorts of reasons. Thornton's connections at AFL level are broad and exciting. The recent article that outlined ex-Fitzroy players positions of power and influence is not something that should be left at being a mere curiosity. There are some very bright, successful ex Lions exerting their muscle at every other club except ours, wouldn't be a bad thing to put those bridges into use.

Peter McGregor is the current Lions board member who is supposed to represent Lion's fans interests in Victoria. If fans think that Peter McGregor is not representing the Victorian fans in the best way possible the vote for Ross Thornton should be framed as voting for either Thornton or McGregor.

Peter McGregor is the current Lions board member who is supposed to represent Lion's fans interests in Victoria. If fans think that Peter McGregor is not representing the Victorian fans in the best way possible the vote for Ross Thornton should be framed as voting for either Thornton or McGregor.

Two are better than one, if they are right for the job. I was trying to say that Victorian board member/s are not just about representing Victorian members, but also and perhaps more importantly about the opportunity for the club to have stronger representation in Victoria.

Rizzler, I'm just talking for myself here... your readiness to talk about other candidates I find somewhat off putting. I reckon you'd benefit greatly by just focusing on talk about you, your vision, plans to execute them and why you're a great candidate. Keep it positive. There are no other candidates talking here, just you, you have a captive audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back