Lionsman

Debutant
May 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mighty Roys
More early season games in Melbourne, should, coupled with a few early wins, pave the way for some extra Melbourne based memberships which can only be a good thing for the club. Every single dollar we can make will only help our financial situation.
Season 2015 looks like being the beginning of our climb back to being a genuine premiership contender.
It won't happen over night, but I for one believe it will happen. Finally.
Exciting times ahead for our two town team.
Bring it on!

I don't believe the draw is fair for country Lions....4 Sunday arvo games, a trip to Geelong and then the Doggies on a Saturday.
I live in Benalla (2 hours up the Hume from Melbourne).
I love a Saturday arvo game, you can make a weekend of it and cruise home on the Sunday for an early Monday start back at work.
I will get to Doggies match, but can see the other matches difficult to negotiate.
That's my situation anyway.

It's also unfair for Sydney-based Lions supporters (only one game!), but at some point the supporter numbers drop into small enough figures that it's impossible to cater for them.

Hang on, It just occurred to me. (sorry if its been mentioned before)

The first year we play GWS away (and we only play them away).

Is the year they have a lions two time best and fairest playing for them who we might have wanted to show our appreciation to.

I'm a little peaved at that.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At the end of the day though it must be a near on impossible job to suitably satisfy all teams. I mean just look at the gripes on this thread. We want to play big drawing teams at the Gabba like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, we don't want to play at Aurora or in Geelong, we want the Hawks at home, we don't want to travel to WA or SA more than once, we want an early season game in Melbourne for our Vic supporters, we want to start the year in Brisbane, we don't want to travel in the final round, we want our Melbourne games spread evenly through the year, we want to play return games against a couple in the bottom four, we only want to play one top 8 team twice, we want to play the Giants in Brisbane to farewell Patfull, we want more MCG games, we want more marquee Friday nights, we want more televised games, we don't want to travel to the NT or NZ, we don't want 5 or 6 day breaks, we don't want to play in the day in Qld early in the year, etc etc...

We ain't gonna get everything we want. That's fine. No use complaining about every little injustice. We are also a poor drawing team both at the games and on TV, have one of the lowest membership figures, and have been rubbish on field so we're not doing ourselves any favours.

At the end of the day, there is just one request that we are being shafted time and time again. That is the minimum number of games in Melbourne. The AFL can't call us a Victorian clubs when it satisfies them (ie the Tasmanian game) and not even abide by the merger agreement.

Zacisonfire

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2009
Devonport
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well if it makes everyone feel any better about Brisbane always travelling to tassie, us tassie supporters love it. There are a few tassie player on the lions list so I'm sure they enjoy it also. Wish hawthorn weren't such a powerhouse then maybe I could celebrate a win live once and a while without travelling to melb!

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
I have been wanting to go to a Lions away game in Melb for the past few seasons. After having a closer look at the fixture overnight I am thinking of travelling down to Melb for the weekend in Rd 8 May 22.

Start with Cats vs Carlton Fri night at Etihad, Hawks vs Swans at MCG Sat night then the Bombers vs Lions on the Sunday arvo at Etihad. Not sure if tickets will be an issue??

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have been wanting to go to a Lions away game in Melb for the past few seasons. After having a closer look at the fixture overnight I am thinking of travelling down to Melb for the weekend in Rd 8 May 22.

Start with Cats vs Carlton Fri night at Etihad, Hawks vs Swans at MCG Sat night then the Bombers vs Lions on the Sunday arvo at Etihad. Not sure if tickets will be an issue??

Nah, you'll get GA for the Friday & Saturday night games without an issue :thumbsu:

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At the end of the day though it must be a near on impossible job to suitably satisfy all teams. I mean just look at the gripes on this thread. We want to play big drawing teams at the Gabba like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, we don't want to play at Aurora or in Geelong, we want the Hawks at home, we don't want to travel to WA or SA more than once, we want an early season game in Melbourne for our Vic supporters, we want to start the year in Brisbane, we don't want to travel in the final round, we want our Melbourne games spread evenly through the year, we want to play return games against a couple in the bottom four, we only want to play one top 8 team twice, we want to play the Giants in Brisbane to farewell Patfull, we want more MCG games, we want more marquee Friday nights, we want more televised games, we don't want to travel to the NT or NZ, we don't want 5 or 6 day breaks, we don't want to play in the day in Qld early in the year, etc etc...

We ain't gonna get everything we want. That's fine. No use complaining about every little injustice. We are also a poor drawing team both at the games and on TV, have one of the lowest membership figures, and have been rubbish on field so we're not doing ourselves any favours.

At the end of the day, there is just one request that we are being shafted time and time again. That is the minimum number of games in Melbourne. The AFL can't call us a Victorian clubs when it satisfies them (ie the Tasmanian game) and not even abide by the merger agreement.
There is no way they can satisfy everyone but you would hope that they could at least get the little things right. Every team should play in every (footy state) every year and share the load on the other games (ie Tassie over a number of years).

Things like the Hawks not playing at the GABBA for 7? years shouldnt happen. Neither should the dogs not getting a Fri night game for 3 straight years now. Or the whole issue of the AFL stating teams with success get Fri night games then Port and North get 3 between them while Carlton gets 6.

Vipertooth

Club Legend
May 16, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well if it makes everyone feel any better about Brisbane always travelling to tassie, us tassie supporters love it. There are a few tassie player on the lions list so I'm sure they enjoy it also. Wish hawthorn weren't such a powerhouse then maybe I could celebrate a win live once and a while without travelling to melb!

Us Tassie Lion boys are a rare breed, and I love being able to see my Mighty Lions live at least once a season (I have a Vic membership but didn't make any games this season).

I wish we played the Kangas in HBT instead of Hawks at Launie, might get a win :p

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Us Tassie Lion boys are a rare breed, and I love being able to see my Mighty Lions live at least once a season (I have a Vic membership but didn't make any games this season).

I wish we played the Kangas in HBT instead of Hawks at Launie, might get a win :p
I recall an upset win down there three or four years ago. Our list this year isn't incapable of similar. :p

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
And was Hooper pre Proud or were they both in the team simultaneously? Albert Proud, there was a sad story. The glimpses we saw were very promising.

Simultaneously; Hooper was listed 2006-09 for 48 games and 49 goals whilst Proud was listed 2007-10 (2011 on the rookie list) for 29 games and 10 goals.

Zacisonfire

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2009
Devonport
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

We certainly are a rare breed! Yeah I was thinking the same thing hopefully next year they will mix it up even if I does mean a longer trip down to Hobart. I'm considering a Victorian memberships myself, but at this stage only planning on the 2 trips over (Melbourne and Geelong) so I may just stick with my supporter membership and buy a couple to guernseys instead.

alscotoz2

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Vic games, regardless of amount are crappily scheduled for me, so little engagement for me next season.

But will still attend round one.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
What does he mean by three games in Qld - I thought we were playing 12 or something like that ... ??

I'd assume his family are coming over for the first month of the season and will see Pearce play three times in Brisbane and once in Melbourne with the round four game and the third in Brisbane against West Coast being his 100th.

Back