AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
For 2015:

Captain - Adcock
Vice Captain - Rockliff
Deputy VC - Rich, Redden, Zorko
Leadership group - Hanley, Leuenberger, D. Beams.

I understand the reasons for your nomination of Beams.

But I'd let him settle in a for a year before hanging an "official" leadership tag on him.

That's just me though.

Id keep Adcock as C and Rocky as VC. No need to change it yet. Id also keep the new players from the leadership group to let them focusing on settling in. They can still be leaders without the official title.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Let's not change horses midstream. I probably say it every year, but this next season is yet again about settling in, players and gameplan. We've had some terrible fortune over the last 4 years, with injury to key players like Brown, Fev*, Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Leuey, Merrett, Maguire, Martin, Staker & Beams, as well as the exits of some young talent along the way.
Hopefully we have a bit more luck in that regard, and while Jed is important as a player, he is far more important as a leader. I'd much rather see him lead while letting play makers like Rocky & Rich, just play. They still provide leadership, but without the burden of captaincy. As I've also said before, Tom and Richy can still be "The Public Face" of the team without that responsibility. Hopefully we see some big changes next year, in consistancy and competitiveness, but we already have some big changes in the playing group, with new players as well as the return of some old ones like Rich and Staker. I think we have enough changes and things to work on, without changing the leadership of the group.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Let's not change horses midstream. I probably say it every year, but this next season is yet again about settling in, players and gameplan. We've had some terrible fortune over the last 4 years, with injury to key players like Brown, Fev*, Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Leuey, Merrett, Maguire, Martin, Staker & Beams, as well as the exits of some young talent along the way.
Hopefully we have a bit more luck in that regard, and while Jed is important as a player, he is far more important as a leader. I'd much rather see him lead while letting play makers like Rocky & Rich, just play. They still provide leadership, but without the burden of captaincy. As I've also said before, Tom and Richy can still be "The Public Face" of the team without that responsibility. Hopefully we see some big changes next year, in consistancy and competitiveness, but we already have some big changes in the playing group, with new players as well as the return of some old ones like Rich and Staker. I think we have enough changes and things to work on, without changing the leadership of the group.

I've always said I'd rather have Richy as captain, still do....but I do agree with what you have posted skoob. Let them all settle in, get more used to each other.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I had Jed pencilled in as a transition captain in 2014 for Rocky to take over in 2015, but I thight Jed was absolutely outstanding this year. I'd keep the top positions as they are for at least another year.

Rocky had a big development/learning year as a leader but needs just one more I think.

I had Jed pencilled in as a transition captain in 2014 for Rocky to take over in 2015, but I thight Jed was absolutely outstanding this year. I'd keep the top positions as they are for at least another year.

Rocky had a big development/learning year as a leader but needs just one more I think.

A year without suspension would be a good start. Simply can't reward him with the captaincy after a couple of brainfarts the season before.

A year without suspension would be a good start. Simply can't reward him with the captaincy after a couple of brainfarts the season before.
Our last captain had quite a few brainfarts ;)

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not when he was captain...
Although I agree Tom has a bit more discipline to gain, that's not quite true. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ibunal-challenge/story-fni5f4q3-1226651552047
We really needed him the following week against Collingwood, one of the worst games we played that year, for what was supposed to be a milestone/anniversary match.
True though that it was more a rarity for Browny by that stage of his career than it is for Tommy. That said, both of Tom's suspensions this year were pretty bullshit, soft frees.

I wouldn't have made Jed captain when he was but I tend to think he did a pretty good job of it last year.

He's only just turned 29 so he's not exactly over the hill. I think he has the respect of the boys and has that "steady hand at the tiller" presence that is quite valuable when you have a side in transition.

I also think a third change in captaincy setup in 3 years feels a bit unsettled.

Jack C

Debutant
Sep 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AC Milan, Arsenal
Does anyone know if the playing list votes on the captain like a couple of other clubs do? Or is it purely coaches choice?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Does anyone know if the playing list votes on the captain like a couple of other clubs do? Or is it purely coaches choice?

I don't trust the playing group ever since they voted Mitch Clark into the leadership group the year before he pissed off somewhere else.

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
I don't trust the playing group ever since they voted Mitch Clark into the leadership group the year before he pissed off somewhere else.

Seems they don't learn from their mistakes either.

I'm going to go and find some chocolate, I'm depressed now.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm pretty sure Jed was voted for by the players, wasn't he?
Having said that, it'll be up to the coaches on how he is selected. New coach, anything could happen.

I'm pretty sure Jed was voted for by the players, wasn't he?
Having said that, it'll be up to the coaches on how he is selected. New coach, anything could happen.

Yep, Jed was voted in. I remember an article stating that the coaches were surprised at the time, implying that they thought it'd be between Rocky and Rich.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not sure I get what you're getting at Kezz.
I think Kezz is getting at the parallels with the Patfull situation. Patfull being voted into the leadership group was due reward for his consistent contribution and leadership. His leaving still takes the jam out of the donut of a very good off season for the club.

Clarke on the other hand was a whole different story

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
I think Kezz is getting at the parallels with the Patfull situation. Patfull being voted into the leadership group was due reward for his consistent contribution and leadership. His leaving still takes the jam out of the donut of a very good off season for the club.

Clarke on the other hand was a whole different story

Pretty much. If we're not careful it'll become a case of "He got voted into the leadership group? Don't expect him to be here next year!"

Although if there's jammie doughnuts then I won't be too worried. Do they still do those at the Gabba?

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Honestly I'd say imo that the first person that comes to mind is Rockliff. After this i'd say Rich, Hanley and possibly D. Beams could fill out the rest of the captaining spots.

Also who else is going to the first round against Collingwood. Seriously the anticipation is killing me :mad::D

Back