Sport 2015 Cricket World Cup Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
2015 Cricket World Cup Preview

Even though he'll miss Saturday's opening match against England, it seems Michael Clarke has won his race against time to take his place in the Australian team, and he should be available for Australia's second pool match against Bangladesh.

But will he be able to slot straight back in to the dressing room? Reports coming out of the Australian camp are that the players were happy and relaxed under Steve Smith's leadership during the home Test series against India, yet officially he's still behind Clarke and George Bailey (who some think shouldn't even be in the team) in the one-day pecking order.

Australia have other concerns with James Faulkner injured. His ability to clear the fence late in the innings will surely be missed if he doesn't recover, so much so that Lehmann has actually flagged the possibility of playing Faulkner as a batsman. Glenn Maxwell found some form late in the tri-series after an erratic summer, and he will need to step up in the middle order.

Of the pool games not involving Australia, all eyes will be on India v Pakistan at the Adelaide Oval this Sunday in a match-up that is always fiercely contested and will stop the subcontinent.

South Africa have a strong side as always despite losing Smith and Kallis to retirement. They have a star-studded bowling attack and any batting line-up containing the likes of de Villiers, Amla, and Duminy can never be underestimated.

As for the other contenders, New Zealand should do well with the advantage of playing at home, though it's harder to make a case for the subcontinental sides in Australian conditions. The Poms look to be making up the numbers, and the Windies may spring a surprise or two along the way, but I'm expecting an Australia-South Africa final, and from there, who knows what will happen if recent history between the nations is anything to go by.

Australia Squad: Michael Clarke, George Bailey, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Shane Watson

Australia Fixtures (Pool A):
Feb 14: England in Melbourne
Feb 21: Bangladesh in Brisbane
Feb 28: New Zealand in Auckland
Mar 4: Afghanistan in Perth
Mar 8: Sri Lanka in Sydney
Mar 14: Scotland in Hobart

Final
Mar 29, 2pm @ MCG

Couple of tricky games in there especially the away game against NZ. Goodness knows why on earth we are playing away at a home WC though!
One of us had to play away i guess

Super pumped for this though

Great batting by Finch and Maxwell but England's bowling sucked.

England are rubbish at one dayers

Not sure hazelwood will last

Johnson should have the new ball

Bailey is a good skipper regardless of his batting
Agree. Side in transition. I hope Pieterson is laughing his ass off

Will be in and out a bit this WC.

Agree on the last two

Agree. Side in transition. I hope Pieterson is laughing his ass off

Will be in and out a bit this WC.

Agree on the last two

I think sth africa india new zealand are the big challengers.

Marsh looking ok so far

Will be interesting to see our best side, faulkner and clarke come in imho for marsh and i dunno

Cummins for hazelwood but like you say in and out perhaps see who is in form

Doherty can enjoy his free world cup trip

I think sth africa india new zealand are the big challengers.

Marsh looking ok so far

Will be interesting to see our best side, faulkner and clarke come in imho for marsh and i dunno

Cummins for hazelwood but like you say in and out perhaps see who is in form

Doherty can enjoy his free world cup trip
Those 4 will be the final 4.

Just got his 2nd. Love watching him play.

Clarke in for Watson, push Smith to 3. Faulkner for Marsh probably.

Doherty will play at Adelaide and Sydney. Maybe in NZ

Those 4 will be the final 4.

Just got his 2nd. Love watching him play.

Clarke in for Watson, push Smith to 3. Faulkner for Marsh probably.

Doherty will play at Adelaide and Sydney. Maybe in NZ

Bet they dont drop watson but i agree

Yeah marsh is bowling well here

This could get even uglier for the poms here

Bet they dont drop watson but i agree

Yeah marsh is bowling well here

This could get even uglier for the poms here
They should. Been riding the team on former glory

Hope they don't make 200

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Catering to the bulk of the audience I guess. Don't the BCCI run the show now these days?

Catering to the bulk of the audience I guess. Don't the BCCI run the show now these days?
When you provide 80% of the income into a sport, you probably do

Makes me sad. No nation should have that much influence on an international sport. People saying the WC is a bust if India don't makeat least the semis. Could see them not making finals at all tbh

The Poms are more worried about playing darts then cricket right now. What a laughing stock they've become i love it!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/no-bull-england-cricketers-scrap-5019126

Root is following in the footsteps of Cook and Freddie Flintoff and Steve Harmison, who made darts an essential part of England touring life.
And James ‘the swinger’ Anderson revealed just why his usual set of arrows has gone missing and why he will be looking to bounce back from defeat to Cook at ‘Ally Pally’ a few weeks ago.

“We’ve got the board, but no darts,” said Anderson. “Cooky’s got mine from when we played just before Christmas and I forgot to get them back before the tour.

“We’re heading out on a mission to find a couple of sets of darts, but they won’t feel the same in the fingers.

“I’m looking forward to a game though, there are a few young lads who think they’re the business. We’ll see.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back