2015 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

The annoying this about this is that our club hasn't been a powerhouse on field since about 2005/2006, albeit they were two short years, that is a decade ago now.

It's like we have our feet stuck in concrete not wanting to improve. Some of our senior players now are worse than depth, they turn the ball over constantly and past AFL quality.

We simply can't become a better team without trying younger players sooner like Knight & Atkins, CEY etc, they might be depth but they'd offer more than VB, MacKay etc.

Agree with this. It's like we've taken a decision to do the opposite of what hawthorn does in a lot of areas. Recruiting trading list management etc

And if there is one lesson from today it's that we ought to do more of whatever it is they're doing

And if there is one lesson from today it's that we ought to do more of whatever it is they're doing

I think part of the problem is that we decided to do whatever it was the Cats were doing, without realising there wasn't a whole lot there worth copying.

Last edited:
Probably because we wouldn't delist anyone yet who may have some trade value.

I don't think it's just that. Our stoppage depth is largely un-signed as is M Crouch and his brother has a question mark over him :mad::mad::(. I'm no fan of Wright at the moment, but some depth is required and we don't know how the cards are going to fall just yet.

Last edited:
Agree with this. It's like we've taken a decision to do the opposite of what hawthorn does in a lot of areas. Recruiting trading list management etc

I know it's been said a few times, but I reckon we build our list from the middle. In terms of game day performance, there's little difference between players 16 and 28 on our list. And in a pinch, we historically go to the most experienced amongst those rather than see if any of them actually have the ability to lift themselves above their station with a few games under their belts. I think depth is required to achieve a consistent annual result. And if that gets you into the 8, get a bit of luck, well, anything can happen.

I think part of the problem is that we decided to do whatever it was the Cats were doing, without realising there wasn't a whole lot there worth copying.

Couple of years near the bottom, get the picks right, 4 astounding father son discounts is a fair head start for the coaching group. Anyone deluded enough to think we could apply their methodology to the quality in our list should no longer have a job in the AFL industry. And that's not even mentioning the discount they got against the true salary cap value of those players who took unders to stay at the top.

Serious question here, when you use selection as a definitive measure of a players ability, how do you view a bloke like CEY?

Not given a run under sando, played every game under Walsh and looked like an afl player, now back to delist material under campo. Had we appointed Walsh instead of sando do you think he might be on the way to 50 games and firmly into the 22?

And if so, do you think we may say the same about Grigg or Lyons if given half a chance?
Just looking at a post from 12 months ago and have to agree, These 3 blokes have shown that they can play AFL. Lyons had a very good year because he was given an opportunity. I still think CEY and Grigg have talent. Certainly would not trade any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back