2015 Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Greensborough looked powerful all over the ground With bigger bodies and Macleods disposal pretty ordinary at times. Don't think Macleod could play any worse, although I must admit it was only the 3rd time I have seen them this year.. For what it's worth sporting tremendous Boags inspired headache this morning

For the regular watchers are Northcote Park & Eltham any threat??

Close but incorrect.
Walked onto the ground, ball was bounced.
Walked straight back off and didn't participate any further.

The game I saw that is sorta correct. He ran on in the 2nd quarter put his foot on the centre square and then ran off and did not participate further.

Greensborough looked powerful all over the ground With bigger bodies and Macleods disposal pretty ordinary at times. Don't think Macleod could play any worse, although I must admit it was only the 3rd time I have seen them this year.. For what it's worth sporting tremendous Boags inspired headache this morning

For the regular watchers are Northcote Park & Eltham any threat??

Greensborough have three teams that look powerful and on yesterdays games unstoppable. All grades are playing perfectly at the right time of the year (well pretty much all year) and have the luxury of the week off.

Macleod will have some ins that will help but them and Eltham will be underdogs whoever wins next Sunday.

Pretty piss poor form by Tarkyn Lockyer if the rumours are true. Quit Northcote because he wasn't going to be paid in finals. Would of definitely helped them and is a very selfish act by him.

Last edited:
Pretty piss poor form by Tarkyn Lockyer if the rumours are true. Quit Northcote because he wasn't going to be paid in finals. Would of definitely helped them and is a very selfish act by him.

Shithouse if true, however club should have just paid him, could have been the difference today.

no doubt both senior sides need to roll the dice with their injured players this week....more so macleod

will be interesting to see how many return and how they all cope on the big ground, big stage with limited preparation.

Once again the conditions played a huge part in the result of yesterdays matches.

i know it comes up every year but Preston really is a piss poor venue. Would take Epping any day of the week over Preston.

with that being said both teams played out a hard fought, yet relatively scrappy game.

Hoping for sun and no wind on Sunday but don't like the chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't "just pay him" what sort of a message does that send to the rest of the blokes? Do they all then stick their hand out?

All it takes is a phone call to Tarks during the week telling him we want you to play, you'll get paid but keep your trap shut!

I know a lot of player from clubs who got paid under the table by clubs. Yes its wrong, but it's business.

Is anyone else bemused by the rules surrounding finals eligibility? Find it bit staggering that a VFL ones player can walk into a side for its finals campaign despite not having played a senior game all year.

The NFL are happy to fine a club (H’berg last week) for playing u/19s players in its reserves yet overlook these types of discrepancies.

This is not a shot at Greensborough BTW. They are simply taking advantage of a loophole.

NFL = pathetic.
Rules should be changed simply to a VFL player needs to play at least 3 Senior games (to qualify for the seniors). The loophole is stupid. If a VFL player does a common hamstring you can easily qualify him for the finals by getting him to walk on the ground in the reserves.

I have no problems with teams doing this as it is technically within the rules but its up the the league to stamp this out. Its been going on way to long and as soon as the league is made aware of these things they should act.

Rules should be changed simply to a VFL player needs to play at least 3 Senior games (to qualify for the seniors). The loophole is stupid. If a VFL player does a common hamstring you can easily qualify him for the finals by getting him to walk on the ground in the reserves.

I have no problems with teams doing this as it is technically within the rules but its up the the league to stamp this out. Its been going on way to long and as soon as the league is made aware of these things they should act.

Tend to agree, maybe even believe it should be a special clause where they have to play five games of seniors to qualify for senior finals. Like you said been happening for too long and needs to be fixed.

Totally agree. Its been going on for to long. It reeks of not only being desperate but must be crap for moral bringing in a guy for the finals who effectively hasnt played a game for the club all year. What message does it send to the guys in the resies training and playing all year trying to break into the ones.

The current NFL rules state that a VFL listed player must play at least 3 senior games to qualify
for the senior finals. Rule 5(f) of the by-laws

The current NFL rules state that a VFL listed player must play at least 3 senior games to qualify for the senior finals. Rule 5(f) of the by-laws

Incorrect.

5(f) states: Any player drafted by an AFL club, placed on an AFL supplementary or rookie list or included on an official VFL list can, provided he has qualified under the rules, return to play with the league in the finals in the seniors and reserves grade only.

Now this is were it gets interesting and maybe tad confusing. The comment 'provided he has qualified under the rules' lets look at all of by-law 5.

5. TO PARTICIPATE IN FINALS MATCHES (SENIORS, RESERVES AND UNDER-19)

(a) Seniors: Players must play at least three (3) matches (senior and/or junior competition) with their Affiliated Club in the Home and Away matches to qualify to play in the senior finals series.

(b) Reserves: Players must play at least three (3) reserves Home and Away matches to qualify to play in the reserves finals series.

i. Any player eligible to play in the reserves competitions organised or authorised by the League who plays with senior teams may play in the finals series of the reserves matches provided that the player concerned has played at least six (6) games in the appropriate age group in the Home and Away matches and no more than nine (9) matches with the club’s seniors in the Home and Away matches.

ii. Where a club fields a senior and reserves team in a finals series match on the same day or the same weekend, a player must have played at least three (3) matches in the home and away season in either the senior and/or reserve (or a combine of both) in order to qualify for the reserves match.

(c) Under-19: Any player eligible to play in the under-19 competitions organized or authorized by the League who plays with senior teams may play in the finals series of the under-19 matches provided that the player concerned has played at least six (6) games in the appropriate age group in the Home and Away matches and no more than nine (9) matches with the club’s seniors in the Home and Away matches.

(d) Provided that such exception shall be presumed where any club fields a senior and under-19 team in a finals series match on the same day or weekend, in which case the player concerned has played at least three (3) games in the appropriate age group only.

i. Any under-17 player wanting to play in under-19 finals, must play six (6) games in the under-19s or six (6) games with the affiliated junior club, to be eligible to play under-19 finals.

(e) Any player playing more than 50% of a club’s senior home and away matches is ineligible to play with that club's reserves team in the finals series. Provided that such exception shall be presumed where any club fields a senior and a reserves team in a finals series match on the same day, or the same weekend.

(f) Any player drafted by an AFL club, placed on an AFL supplementary or rookie list or included on an official VFL list can, provided he has qualified under the rules, return to play with the league in the finals in the seniors and reserves grade only.

(g) Any player that plays 12 or more games in the TAC Cup under-18 competitions may, provided he has qualified under the rules, return to play with the league in the finals of the senior or reserves grades only.

(h) Any player drafted by an AFL club, placed on an AFL supplementary or rookie list or included on an official VFL list is ineligible to play in any NFL under 19 home and away or finals matches.

(i) Where a club has two under-19 teams a player must play six (6) games for the team playing in the finals, he can play no more than nine (9) games in the higher division, unless both teams are playing on the same day or the same weekend.

(j) Where a club has two under-19 teams in the same division, each team must be registered separately and they will take part in the competition on the same terms and conditions as if they were entered as separate clubs. Movement of players between teams in these circumstances can only be made after league approval is obtained. A list of players of teams concerned must be forwarded to the league office before the first round of the home and away season.
Players must play six (6) games for the team playing in the finals and can be rotated between teams no more than three (3) times during the home and away season.

(k) Where a player plays in more than one grade on the same day or the same weekend during the home and away season, the higher grade match shall be counted towards the finals eligibility.

(l) The hierarchical order for grades is seniors, reserves, under-19 and the juniors.

(m) If a player plays an NFL match and a TAC or VFL match on the same weekend, the NFL match does not count towards finals eligibility.​

The odd thing in 5a it states 'junior competitions' which one must read includes Reserves.....I think.

In 5a(ii) it talks about having both Seniors and Reserves playing on the same final weekend but concludes with this rule eligibility only concerning Reserves. (So this rule says 3 Reserves games does not allow you to play finals in seniors....?)

I don't know if I am reading things differently to others but by-law 5 is confusing and needs to be clearer and provide examples. By-law 5 is titled "To participate in finals matches (senior, reserve and U19s) why on earth does some of the writing talk about 'appropriate age group'.....U19s is the only age restricted group.

Anyone confused yet? I am sure there are better ways to write it, especially when you hear for the past few years clubs have accidentally (?!!?) played incorrect players and been fined etc.

As I said you need to play 3 games, if a so called player hasn't played 3 games he will be ineligible. So if he played VFL he needs to have played 3 games. its clear cut, 5 (a) says 3 games 5(b)(ii) 3 games , 5(f) directs a VFL player to 5(a) 3 games. Its not difficult and its been around for years. If there has been an ineligible player, played the club will lose the game, I suspect somehow the player in question has qualifed.

I'm leaning towards Eltham for this weeks game. Will the comp leading goal kicker be back from his holiday to Thailand, I mean his knee injury in time to play this week?

As I said you need to play 3 games, if a so called player hasn't played 3 games he will be ineligible. So if he played VFL he needs to have played 3 games. its clear cut, 5 (a) says 3 games 5(b)(ii) 3 games , 5(f) directs a VFL player to 5(a) 3 games. Its not difficult and its been around for years. If there has been an ineligible player, played the club will lose the game, I suspect somehow the player in question has qualifed.
That is the point of this. The player qualified by having his name on the RESERVES team sheet 3 times during the year. He obviously didnt play. A VFL player on the reserves sheet. No goals in any game. Not in the best 6 in any game. Just sign the sheet and thats all you have to do. The rule needs to be changed.

The four ins for Macleod this week will give them their best team on the park for nearly twelve weeks. Will either set them up nicely for a crack at Greensy or it could all come crashing down. Gotta roll the dice but!

The four ins for Macleod this week will give them their best team on the park for nearly twelve weeks. Will either set them up nicely for a crack at Greensy or it could all come crashing down. Gotta roll the dice but!

Agree, no need to sit down and have a beer after a loss and wonder 'what if'. Probably will be the deciding factor on this prelim.

23 degree day at Preston, hopefully no wind and we have a perfect Prelim final coming up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back