2015 Division 3

Remove this Banner Ad

An amazing weekend of results makes for an interesting season. Many were tipping a tough season for Watsy but they have had an amazing start.. South who raging favourites have had 6 quarters they would rather forget but how great was Epping?

Great win by the Burra at home. Looked like a different team out there compared to last weeks efforts against Watsy. Could be the dark horse of the comp..

Go ahead with some tips for round 4

Banyule v Watsonia
Huge hame for the Bears after a shock loss to St Mary's, think this one will be goal for goal, gotta go with the in form Watsonia.
WATSONIA BY 21 POINTS.

Reservoir v St Mary's
Last week results make this one a lot tougher to pick, big ground will suit the run of the Burra.
ST MARY'S BY A GOAL

Heidelberg West v Epping
Epping to make it 2 in a row, by plenty.
EPPING BY 88 POINTS.

Agree this comp looks even at this point. I think the next 3-4 rounds will start to identify where everyone is at.
Rd 4 tips -
Banyule vs Watsonia - what an interesting game this should be. Will certainly help work out where Wats are at after an impressive opening 2 games. I will lean to the Bears @ home by 8 pts in a tight one
Resa vs St.Mary's - home ground will be to the Mustang's advantage, but tipping the young Burra's will use the wide ground @ Crisp Park to run Resa off their legs. The Burra by 28 pts.
Heid West vs Epping - the pingers looked good last week, but first time it has clicked in 3 weeks. Will be important for them to back up with some consistency. Epping by 40 pts, but sure the Hawks will be competitive early.

Wow, last week's results certainly shook up the competition, and yes, agree that the coming couple of weeks should sort out the teams. So to this week with two of the games looking to be close affairs :

Banyule vs Watsonia A big win by the Saints last week while the Bears could be considered disappointing but back at home they should get across the line.
Reservoir vs St Marys Lots of love for the Sainters after last weeks win and the Mustangs will be stung after losing a game they probably expected to win.
West Heidelberg vs Epping The Blues should win this easily, but previous weeks have shown that it may not be an easy win.
South Morang - Bye

Watsonia beat Bears by 30
StMarys beat Resa by 7
Epping beat West by 17

Watsonia absolutely flying at the moment , watched their game on the weekend and they just seemed to want it more, look a very fit team this year.

Resa lead again at half time
and were again ran over? fitness could be a big issue for them, Burra have weathered a bad start to the year to be 2-2 and it seems they can trouble anyone on their day.

Epping too good in the end for West but it seems West have made some massive improvements this year and must have a lot more depth than previous years.

A couple of Epping lads said west should have been further in front than the 5 goal lead halfway through the third and poor discipline and a bad 15 minutes cost West. Epping kicked 4 goals in a row when west were kicking with the wind and only 1 fit rotation in the last hurt. Chilcott looked very dangerous and but poor kicking let him down in front of the sticks. It's very tricky reading Div 3 results at the moment, was hearing that Watsy were struggling during pre season but 3-0 has put that rumour to bed!!

early round 5 tips

Watsonia v West
Can't see the Hawks upsetting the top of the table Saints, will be closer than a first vs last match should be.

Reservoir v Banyule
Huge game for both the teams sitting at 1-3, being 1-4 could make it very tough to get back in such a tight competition.

South Morang v St Marys
match of the round
both sides sitting in the 4 on 8 points, You get the feel that the Lions haven't exactly hit their straps yet this year and I expect that to happen this week to the fast finishing Burra.

tips:
Watsy by 24 pts.
Banyule by 9 points.
South by 33 points.

The comp continues to see-saw and still hard to gauge some of the sides. Watsonia look to be the real deal and they have embraced McCall's game plan with the enthusiasm you would expect of a young side. They played a good brand of footy last Saturday. There is certainly some talent there and they will be a worry to some of the more fancied opponents. Might be an early call, but I am tipping Resa will lose more than they win this season and wont be part of the finals action. Great to see Hawks taking it up to the opposition and some wins will come, but they will not be part of the top four either. Which leaves 5 clubs who at the moment are all in the mix and make it an intriguing season ahead. Epping's inconsistent form will be a worry for them at the moment. They seem to be drifting in & out of games and struggling to put together 4 quarters of footy.
Round 5 Tips -
Wats vs H.West - The expectation would be Wats will be comfortable winners over the Hawks, who would be disappointed they did not seize the moment last week against the Blues. They had them on the ropes, but let them back in the 3rd quarter. Wats by 45 pts
Resa vs Banyule - Another home ground defeat might signal the decline of the Mustangs for 2015. They are lacking the leg speed of the other clubs in the comp this year and it will be the difference at the end in many of their games. Bears by 22 pts
Sth Morang vs St.Marys - Big challenge for the young talent @ St.Marys. I would expect the Lions to get home here on their own turf, but the interest will be in the contest that the Burra give them. If they give a solid contest all day, it will give them the confidence they can take it up with the rest of the comp. But the Lions will be leaving nothing behind after the bye and are rebounding from the Epping game a fortnight ago. Lions by 26 pts.

The results of each week's matches continues to confound the tipsters, but on the reverse it is certainly keeping everyone interested.

Watsonia vs West Heidelberg Although they'll be pesky for a while I can't see the Hawks getting over the Sainters.
Reservoir vs Banyule Agree with 'Local Punchlines' that I said pre-season that the Mustangs would drop this season but think they'ee eck out a win over the Bears here.
South Morang vs St Marys After a break and reassessment I can see the Lions doing a number on the Sainters who have certainly improved though from last season.
Epping - Bye

What's the go with the st Mary's coach? Embarrassed himself and his club the way he was yelling at some of his players today. At one stage saying "I don't give a ... If they kick a goal. Get the ... Off the ground now."
The player looked confused and definitely didn't deserve the spray.
Outsiders view, but not the way to coach a young side... But what do I know?

5 rounds in, has anyone top 4s from the start of the year differed...

I think I had South resa st Marys and banyule In mine

at this stage I probably take Resa and banyule out for Watsy and Epping.

Predicted finals:
South Morang (1) v Epping (2)

Watsonia (3) v St Marys (4)

from there I'm not too sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 rounds in, has anyone top 4s from the start of the year differed...

I think I had South resa st Marys and banyule In mine

at this stage I probably take Resa and banyule out for Watsy and Epping.

Predicted finals:
South Morang (1) v Epping (2)

Watsonia (3) v St Marys (4)

from there I'm not too sure

2 changes for mine too at this point - at start I had Epp, S/Morang, Banyule & Resa. Agree both Banyule & Resa will miss at this stage and Wats & Burra to come in. But plenty of football ahead and been full of surprises to date.
My predicted finals after round 5 pretty close to same:
Sth Morang (1) v Watsonia (2)
Epping (3) v St Marys (4)

2 changes for mine too at this point - at start I had Epp, S/Morang, Banyule & Resa. Agree both Banyule & Resa will miss at this stage and Wats & Burra to come in. But plenty of football ahead and been full of surprises to date.
My predicted finals after round 5 pretty close to same:
Sth Morang (1) v Watsonia (2)
Epping (3) v St Marys (4)

Ressa will make the top 4. Just taking a bit longer to click this year down @ Crispe Park. They will be right come seasons end. It is only round 5 after all.

Ressa will make the top 4. Just taking a bit longer to click this year down @ Crispe Park. They will be right come seasons end. It is only round 5 after all.
Yep agree Darth, it's only round 5 and lots of footy ahead. We may see the top 4 decided only in the final weeks based on the season to date, as is the case across the other 2 Divs ATM. All makes for great local footy!

Round 6
Watsonia v South Morang (AK Lines)
Can the Saints make it 5-0?, I don't think so, seen both of these sides live this season and feel South are a bit stronger through the midfield.

South by 25

Banyule v Epping (Beverley Road)
Bears are 1-3 but two of their losses could have gone either way and they were up at 3/4 time in the other, find it hard to see them win here though.

Epping by 32

Heidelberg West v Reservoir (Heidelberg Park)
The Mustangs will be hoping to climb back in to the 4 here with a win against the Hawks but if results are anything to go by, this could be close.

Mustangs by 18

St Marys have the Bye.

Sth morang vs watsonia

Match of the round. Watsonia flying along! Surprising everyone on their start to the year.Watched morang last week. Had total control of the game apart from last 5 minutes of the 1st qtr when st marys kicked 3 quick ones.
Morang by 37 points, there recruits look as though there finding there feet, shelton harrison pavitt etc and the usual suspects playing good footy.

Reservoir vs heidelberg west

Reservoir just, heidelberg west have made massive strides this year, give them a huge chance but the experience and the good record over west will resa the edge they need.

banyule vs epping

Gonna back in banyule here, results would suggest otherwise but i think they are good enough to turn these close losses into wins.

Finally got a clean sheet for last week, but another tough week this one won't be easy.

Watsonia vs South Morang. The Saints have surprised a few so far while the Lions are going along nicely and should be too strong here.
Banyule vs Epping. The Bears have been a tad disappointing while the Blues have been good and should have too much experience here to lose.
West Heidelberg vs Reservoir. An opportunity to put another win on the board for the Mustangs over he Hawks who will again be competitive.

Round 6 Tips

Sth Morang vs Watsonia - Looking forward to watching this game. Lions keen to show they are the team to beat this year and Wats would make themselves a serious contender if they got up here. It will be an interesting contest, but think the Lions might get over the line by 13 pts
Reservoir vs Heid West - Resa need to get up here after an important win at home last week. I think the Hawks will keep serving up a contest week in week out, so whoever comes up against them throughout the season need to bring their A game. Mustangs by 18 pts.
Banyule vs Epping - the Bears will be desperate to notch up a second win for the year and at home, will be a tough contest for the inconsistent Blues. I think it will only be a kick either way, but will go with the pingers. Epping by 4 pts.

Another loss for Banyule. Was hearing in the off season that it was to be an easy March upto div 2. What are they lacking? Or are they just not upto div 3?

Another loss for Banyule. Was hearing in the off season that it was to be an easy March upto div 2. What are they lacking? Or are they just not upto div 3?
I am not sure the Bears thought they were take an easy march into 2nd Div, but certainly some NFL experts made some hasty predictions of it. I am certain Banyule would have expected to be sitting better than 1-4 at this point, but they need time to transition from VAFA to NFL and I think they will adapt in time. The brand of footy is different. They have been competitive in all their games to date. Have only seen them live once and they structured up well and their contested work around the stoppages was good - I think Plant would be pleased with it to date. I have no doubt they will find their feet by the end of season and will be a competive Div 3 side over the next couple of years and will eventually knock on the door of Div 2.

I am not sure the Bears thought they were take an easy march into 2nd Div, but certainly some NFL experts made some hasty predictions of it. I am certain Banyule would have expected to be sitting better than 1-4 at this point, but they need time to transition from VAFA to NFL and I think they will adapt in time. The brand of footy is different. They have been competitive in all their games to date. Have only seen them live once and they structured up well and their contested work around the stoppages was good - I think Plant would be pleased with it to date. I have no doubt they will find their feet by the end of season and will be a competive Div 3 side over the next couple of years and will eventually knock on the door of Div 2.

I agree completely,
I've seen Banyule twice this season, Round 1 they looked excellent against a well and truly improved West in a 70 point win and then again in Round 3 when they went down to St Mary's on ANZAC day. From what i've seen they are an excellent spreading team but probably need to be a little more defensive minded as that's where St Mary's took them apart. Around the ground they are duper competitive and they look very likely up forward when the ball moves quick. They could easily be sitting at 3-3 right now, they will come good, still not sure if they'll make finals in the super competitive div 3 but it's only early.

Round 7 Tips
Reservoir vs Epping - Match of the round this one and Mustangs have found form with a 2 wins from last 2 outings. Epping struggling to find any form in the first half of their games having to come from half time deficits in their past 2 games against the Hawks & Bears. If they cannot match it with Resa in the first half this week, they will struggle to get back as they have in recent games. However in saying that, I'll back my recent judgement of these 2 teams and back the Pingers to play a 4 quarter game. Epping by 12 pts
Sth Morang vs Banyule - The Lions are on top of the ladder & flying. They seem to have come out of their only loss at Epping with a new resolve and the new recruits Harro, Pavitt & Shelton are all clicking with the group. Hard road trip here for the Bears. Sth Morang by 64 pts
St Mary's vs Heidelberg West - The Burra will be keen to get a team boosting win here and go 3-3 on the ladder. The Hawks were touched up by the Mustangs last week and their confidence of recent weeks would of taken a beating. They need to get back to some of those earlier games when they run & carried and backed themselves in. As much as I am wanting to see the Hawks get a win on the board - and it will come - I cannot see the Burra dropping this one at home. St.Mary's by 19 pts

Mustangs v Epping
Huge game for both teams,Are the Mustangs the real deal? a win here perhaps means yes but it won't be easy.
Chillcott to kick 6.
EPPING BY 24

Banyule v South
Banyule need to show something, it will be seriously hard to consider them for top 4 if this match is dropped.
SOUTH BY 30

Burra v Hawks
Hawks got them twice at Whatmough last year and the ground suits them, but saying that St Marys have improved out of sight and should take care of business.
BURRA BY 40

Also does anyone know whats happened to the Burra key forward O'Donnell? hasn't played since round 2 ? Would be a huge loss if he's parted ways...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back