2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Wagner killin it again in the 3rd.

Only watched the first half, but was impressed. Need to keep the preformance in context thou, a mature, contested ball winner should have a decent day against a team a year younger.

How's Allison going in the second half?

Himmelberg and Kennedy are both looking like guns. 1st round selections you would think.

Only watched the first half, but was impressed. Need to keep the preformance in context thou, a mature, contested ball winner should have a decent day against a team a year younger.

How's Allison going in the second half?

I get what you are saying with playing against younger boys, but they are the cream of the U17's so there is so i would say it's defniitely harder than playing kids his own age in division 2.

I just missed the 2nd half of the 3rd myself but so far i've hardly noticed Allison. Big last quarter for the lad hopefully.

Wasn't overly impressed by Wagner's game. He gets to the right spots at stoppages but often just hacks the ball clear rather than releasing by hand. I remember thinking the same thing during the champs. Have a feeling that he will be a rookie selection by us if drafted.

Didn't notice much of Hipwood, Allison & Weller. Didn't help with the commentators switching between interviews and commentary.
On Weller, I remember watching him in the champs and being impressed during the game against NSW. Moves really well. Probably a rookie shot in the big scheme of things however.
Chol was exceptional today. Has soft hands in ruck contests, making it very easy for his rovers. His marking was strong, seems to be a standing vertical jump type player rather than a run and jump player which says to me that he probably doesn't read the ball that well in flight and can run under it. Impressed with his skills & ball handling in general. His follow up defensive work can improve but overall there is a lot to work with. Think he'll end up on our list, just a matter of whether a bid comes in the national draft or in the rookie draft.

Of the others. Liked Himmelberg, there was a bit of Jeremy Cameron in him at times today. Will be interested to see who bids on him and where.
Thought Kennedy was exceptional, and he was actually my selection for best on ground. Reads the play very nicely and gets to a lot of contests.
On Buzza, he is a very nice kick of the footy and seemed to have a knack of finding separation & space. Played an excellent game. Very physical player and when I watch him play, it stands out that it's a 19 yo vs 18/17yo's. This is probably the reason that we didn't nominate him for the draft - despite the good game, I'd be surprised if he gets drafted at all at this point.

The only query with Chol is 'what is he at AFL level?'. Is he going to be big and strong enough to keep ploughing into bigger guys week after week.

He's the same height as Stef, but Stef would have 20k of lean muscle on him right now.

Is Chol smart enough to be a 3rd forward relieving in the ruck?

The only query with Chol is 'what is he at AFL level?'. Is he going to be big and strong enough to keep ploughing into bigger guys week after week.

He's the same height as Stef, but Stef would have 20k of lean muscle on him right now.

Is Chol smart enough to be a 3rd forward relieving in the ruck?

Or he just needs 3 year in ressie

Or he just needs 3 year in ressie
For whatever reason, we don't have a great record at slow burn development. If you haven't cracked the side by your second year, people start putting a line through you. Even Jack Crisp was looking at delisting with about 6 rounds to go last year. Nobody gets many brownie points for 3 years of NEAFL.

Duryea waited 4 years for his shot.

For whatever reason, we don't have a great record at slow burn development. If you haven't cracked the side by your second year, people start putting a line through you. Even Jack Crisp was looking at delisting with about 6 rounds to go last year. Nobody gets many brownie points for 3 years of NEAFL.

Duryea waited 4 years for his shot.

For ruckman need time to grow. And people need to relax. Look how long it took Zorko to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

Apologies for the intrusion, but considering the level of interest from Brisbane Lions fans surrounding this year's Draft, I thought you might be interested to hear that the Club will be hosting a special 'Draft Night' event in Melbourne (Platform 28 at Docklands) on 24 November.

It's something that we've never done before, and figured 2015 would be as good a year as any to trial something new like this.

Essentially it will be a big screen viewing of the Draft in Melbourne, with some of our recruiters (those who aren't in SA) in attendance to provide blow-by-blow commentary and show exclusive vision of our selections as they're drafted.

You can find out full details HERE

Information about the event will be promoted on lions.com.au and through our social channels later this week, but I thought I'd give those passionate (and vocal) draft followers on BigFooty a head-start in terms of accessing tickets. We're limiting space to just the first 100 bookings, 40 of which have already been sold through priority access for player sponsors, coaches club, coteries etc.

If it proves popular, then it might just become a regular fixture on our events calendar in VIC (although hopefully we don't get used to having high draft picks each year).

Guests will also receive an in-depth recruiters' guide which will profile some of the top prospects, outline our recent draft history, and explain how the Academy bidding system works (I obviously have to brush up on that myself!)

Even if you can't attend, I'd be interested to hear your feedback as to whether you think it's a worthwhile initiative for the future.

Even if you can't attend, I'd be interested to hear your feedback as to whether you think it's a worthwhile initiative for the future.

Yes.

Yes it is.

Hi all,

Apologies for the intrusion, but considering the level of interest from Brisbane Lions fans surrounding this year's Draft, I thought you might be interested to hear that the Club will be hosting a special 'Draft Night' event in Melbourne (Platform 28 at Docklands) on 24 November.

It's something that we've never done before, and figured 2015 would be as good a year as any to trial something new like this.

Essentially it will be a big screen viewing of the Draft in Melbourne, with some of our recruiters (those who aren't in SA) in attendance to provide blow-by-blow commentary and show exclusive vision of our selections as they're drafted.

Information about the event will be promoted on lions.com.au and through our social channels later this week, but I thought I'd give those passionate (and vocal) draft followers on BigFooty a head-start in terms of accessing tickets. We're limiting space to just the first 100 bookings, 40 of which have already been sold through priority access for player sponsors, coaches club, coteries etc.

If it proves popular, then it might just become a regular fixture on our events calendar in VIC (although hopefully we don't get used to having high draft picks each year).

Guests will also receive an in-depth recruiters' guide which will profile some of the top prospects, outline our recent draft history, and explain how the Academy bidding system works (I obviously have to brush up on that myself!)

Great initiative - would attend if in Melbs! Maybe could rotate between Brissy and Melbs?

Hi all,

Do you think it could happen in Brissy one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great initiative - would attend if in Melbs! Maybe could rotate between Brissy and Melbs?

The idea has certainly been floated. With the bulk of our recruiters based at Etihad Stadium, it made sense to hold this one in Melbourne. But with some pretty handy Queenslanders coming through the ranks in the Academy, there's no reason why it can't be replicated at the Gabba in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back