2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Keays says a surprising selection in a state team turned him into an AFL prospect

A SURPRISING selection in a state team gave Ben Keays all the self-belief he needed to become a top AFL prospect.

The former Morningside Panthers star heads into November’s AFL Draft in Adelaide as a possible top 15 selection after impressive performances on the national stage in the past year.

But Keays said it was making the Queensland under-18s team as a 16-year-old in 2014 that gave him the confidence to chase his dream.

“I didn’t think I was going to make it but I just scraped in and that was sort of what turned a childhood dream into something I thought was actually possible,” he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-10/gresham-steals-the-show-at-draft-combines-skills-testing

Clean hands test
Kieran Collins 29 (out of a possible 30)
Darcy MacPherson 28
Tyrone Leonardis 28
Daniel Rioli 27
Rhys Mathieson 27
Mitch King 27
Jade Gresham 26
Bailey Rice 26
Darcy Tucker 26
Declan Mountford 26
Kurt Mutimer 26
Jordan Snadden 26

Goalkicking test
Jade Gresham 30 (out of a possible 30)
Nick O'Kearney 30
Oleg Markov 30
Clayton Oliver 30
Kieran Lovell 25
Tyrone Leonardis 25
Matthew Kennedy 25
Mitchell Hibberd 25
Liam Jeffs 25
Eric Hipwood 25
Matthew Allen 25
Nick Coughlan 25
Mitch King 25

Kicking test
Mitchell Hibberd 24 (out of a possible 30)
Nick Coughlan 23
Darcy MacPherson 22
Thomas Glen 22
Matthew Allen 22
Jade Gresham 21
Nick O'Kearney 21
Rhys Mathieson 21
Declan Mountford 21
Jordan Snadden 21
Ben McKay 21
Charlie Curnow 21

Must admit, Mathieson coming in at 8th in the kicking test surprised me a bit. It's something he has been working on all year as it was his biggest deficiency.

Geez every time I see Hipwoods profile it screams third tall forward/pinch ruck duty.

I know there are plenty on here that know more than me but his potential is intriguing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez every time I see Hipwoods profile it screams third tall forward/pinch ruck duty.

I know there are plenty on here that know more than me but his potential is intriguing
No, I agree with you and see him as being someone like a David Hale type he has shown to have a bit of toe and agility for a big fella which would help with playing in the forward line and around the ground.

Did Schache not test because of his toe injury?

Confident Schache finishes in the top 3-4 if he tests in the goalkicking.

Good to see Hipwood do well.

Also Clayton Oliver is someone who is definitely on the radar from my point of view if we end up with an extra 2nd rounder or two through the trade period. Worries over his endurance but i think he's a true footballer and can have a lot of improvement in his fitness.

I know in all likelihood we'll take Schache at pick 2 as he's the key forward we need (and long overdue), but love the look of Aaron Francis. Should he develop an inside game, injuries permitting, he can be one of the best players in the competition.

I know in all likelihood we'll take Schache at pick 2 as he's the key forward we need (and long overdue), but love the look of Aaron Francis. Should he develop an inside game, injuries permitting, he can be one of the best players in the competition.

Yes. If only we got that priority pick! I feel of the higher rated players he's the one that's really hard to get a read on where he could end up. Wouldn't surprise me if he slides and gets taken closer to pick 10 than 2. Would be a steal if he goes outside the first 5 IMO.

Confident Schache finishes in the top 3-4 if he tests in the goalkicking.

Good to see Hipwood do well.

Also Clayton Oliver is someone who is definitely on the radar from my point of view if we end up with an extra 2nd rounder or two through the trade period. Worries over his endurance but i think he's a true footballer and can have a lot of improvement in his fitness.
Rocky also has issues with fitness but is a true footballer - would happily take Oliver. Plus he has talent, is a Lions fan and is good friends with Schache so they would help each other settle in (much like Taylor and Gardner have helped one another)

I don't think we should get our hopes up of taking any players before 30. I think all our picks will be taken by our 2 highly rated academy kids.

Lose Aish, Redden and Leuenberger and end up with picks 17, 21 and 26 in addition to already having pick 23 and we could have 2 picks between 25 and 35 depending on when Keays and Hipwood get a bid.

Lose Aish, Redden and Leuenberger and end up with picks 17, 21 and 26 in addition to already having pick 23 and we could have 2 picks between 25 and 35 depending on when Keays and Hipwood get a bid.

Getting Bell in will cost us a pick and I don't see us accepting 2nd round picks for Aish.

Getting Bell in will cost us a pick and I don't see us accepting 2nd round picks for Aish.

If we rate the draft we could have picks in that range though and possibly top up with Astbury, Jansen and Whitecross with later picks or the PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back