2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Really liking the look of Parish and he's a Falcons boy, probably good mates with Dizz & Squizz. Apart from Hanley we don't have any linebreakers and Parish would be a great addition. Be just as happy with Tucker as well.

Parish/Tucker with our first pick, the pick we get for Aish for Dixon, Keays with our second pick and Rance as a FA.

Really liking the look of Parish and he's a Falcons boy, probably good mates with Dizz & Squizz. Apart from Hanley we don't have any linebreakers and Parish would be a great addition. Be just as happy with Tucker as well.

Parish/Tucker with our first pick, the pick we get for Aish for Dixon, Keays with our second pick and Rance as a FA.
GC are going to want more than a pick 8-15

I'd consider Zorko and Taylor as line-breakers :thumbsu:

Taylor maybe if he stops zig zagging around the place slowing the play up. He needs to go direct more often then he could be a line breaker.
Just needs to learn the difference between the longitudinal and latitudinal lines.

Taylor maybe if he stops zig zagging around the place slowing the play up. He needs to go direct more often then he could be a line breaker.
Could it be that he has noone presenting up the field, so rather than blaze away like alot of other players do, he might just trying to wait for an option? Just putting it out there.

I don't think Taylor is a line-breaker, he doesn't get tackled as he has good evasiveness and can move sideways quickly but not someone who is genuinely quick.
Zorko, l would think it one tho.

Definitely is IMO. Watched him live against Collingwood last year and he was finding gaps everywhere.

Good to see Tassie and NSW playing well in the TAC Cup today. Some encouraging signs. With Tassie beat the Northern Knights by 60 points and NSW beating the Oakleigh Chargers by 14 points.

Queensland play the Oakleigh Chargers on the 30th of May at Tidbold Park in QLD for anyone that's interested in going along.

Young KPF Joshua Schache having a good start to the year at the Bushrangers. Averaging 3.6 goals, 12 disposals, 6.5 marks and 3 contested marks a game. Expecting him to push top 10 as we get closer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While there is a huge focus on the need for KPP's, I think there is one more pressing issue in our team. The lack of pace, from defence and from midfield. Someone like a bulldozing Wines, or a Toby Greene, someone who can break packs, and be a Stephen Hill like player for us. We deseperately need some class in the midfield to support our relatively slow midfield. Rockliff, Redden, Beams, Rich has got to be one of the slowest, albeit most talented, midfields in the competition. No doubt having Hanley back will aid us, but this is where we really needed Yeo. Hope we can find someone like him in the draft. We got found out on Sunday against Essendon against the likes of Howlett, Merrett and Melksham.

While there is a huge focus on the need for KPP's, I think there is one more pressing issue in our team. The lack of pace, from defence and from midfield. Someone like a bulldozing Wines, or a Toby Greene, someone who can break packs, and be a Stephen Hill like player for us. We deseperately need some class in the midfield to support our relatively slow midfield. Rockliff, Redden, Beams, Rich has got to be one of the slowest, albeit most talented, midfields in the competition. No doubt having Hanley back will aid us, but this is where we really needed Yeo. Hope we can find someone like him in the draft. We got found out on Sunday against Essendon against the likes of Howlett, Merrett and Melksham.

I don't really agree tbh. I think we're a pretty balanced midfield.

When we want to speed things up, we've successfully run Zorko and Green through there, and Taylor should be capable with one or two more pre-seasons to improve his core strength and tackling. That plus Hanley gives us some options.

Lester has improved his clearance work to the point it is a noticeable strength now, giving us Rocky, Beams, Lester and occasionally Rich and Redden who can chip in on that front.

I think we got found out largely because we dropped our effort, which itself was a product of being totally overmatched in the offensive 50 and done in by an unusually accurate kicking game from Daniher. Once we got deflated, the scores blew out.

Wouldn't mind some line breaking class... Zorko, Taylor and Green aren't exactly the classy type though but I feel they are definitely good enough to add some pace to our midfield rotations if they play some minutes there. Polec would have been perfect....

Wouldn't mind some line breaking class... Zorko, Taylor and Green aren't exactly the classy type though but I feel they are definitely good enough to add some pace to our midfield rotations if they play some minutes there. Polec would have been perfect....

Taylor and Green are definitely classy. They are also definitely quick over 10-20m. They don't have great tanks though.

Zorko has the ability to provide real run and carry if only he could keep composed. When he runs at pace it's like he rushes everything - decision making, disposal technique etc.

I agree a good run and carry player with skills is high on our want list as it would be for most clubs.

I've only seen a limited amount of Wagner, how quick is he?

You definitely quick players but only a few IMO and I think we've got a nice spread of speed. Good ball use and clever reading of the play will always outrun foot speed. We do look quick and exciting when we're on. It's just our run and carry is missing Hanley and our skills haven't aided our ball movement this year. Don't know how many chains have broken down because a handball was on top of a bloke's head or a kick missed the target. And all the speed in the world isn't going to help when you're not confident kicking it into the forward 50 once you clear the ball. KP's priority in trade and draft.

when Melksham shows us up that certainly is a big big problem haha

We are by no means settled on any line in our team. Often people forgot how much depth you need in midfield to be good, and a good example was last draft with Freo taking mids instead of outside opinionated needed talls.

We need quality everywhere in our team, and our 1st pick must be best available.

Ive had a slight look at the nest draft and it looks midfield heavy, with sucks for those expeccting to get a quality Tall forward. Of the Talls the standout is Weithering who is a better version of Jake Lever. If he slides to the lions we cant go past him. After him it is looking like the best mid available will suit. But there is a lot of time left for the under 18s to show their wares

Overall...I want best available talent with our first pick

Sure we've got other issues, but the KPP problem is *clearly* our biggest and our highest priority.

Speedy players usually make things happen. Look at Saad from the Suns, he has probably been their 2nd best player this season because he is confident in his ability to break away from congestion. Opposition can't react quick enough and it creates a sense of randomness. Speed creates a breakdown of opposition zones, especially with all the gaps that the modern zones creates you can weave your way through fairly easy and forces opposition to come to you leaving space up the ground.

I think we need some speed out of our back half and the likes of Beams, Adcock, Harwood, Golby aren't exactly fast players and don't force the opposition to become reactive, they are happy to just sit off and wait for us to kick it to a contest.

Cutler, McGrath, C. Beams in defence, Hanley, Zorko, Christensen, Mayes, Taylor, Aish, Green in midfield and up forward. Don't think it's a major issue to be honest. Look at Hawthorn- Mitchell, Langford, Lewis and Hodge aren't quicker than the 3R's + D. Beams. They've got outside class supporting those inside players like we do. The thing is, all those players I listed above are either in the first couple years of their careers, learning a new position, injured or out of form (with the exception of Green in the last three weeks) so it's understandable that we seem to lack pace at the moment. But we are still playing quick at times this year and some of last year's wins showed how dangerous our speed and run and carry can be.

In modern footy, I think long+quick runners are important. That is, guys who can run the lines at speed, repeatedly. I think that is what Robertson has brought to the side. I think, given time, it is also what Cutler will produce. And we obviously miss Hanley, who is one of the best in the comp in this regard. But an Isaac Smith type would be handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back