2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What are our chances of picking up both Schache and keays because getting them both in the same draft would be awesome. Plus Carlisle and motlop annnd im being greedy again. :) ;)

Keays will cost us our 2nd rounder unless he has a mega year and dominates the Championships (so far, so good with two solid performances against senior opposition). But a 25% discount should see us not need to use our first rounder either way.

Schache will go Top 10 you'd think.

Keays will cost us our 2nd rounder unless he has a mega year and dominates the Championships (so far, so good with two solid performances against senior opposition). But a 25% discount should see us not need to use our first rounder either way.

Schache will go Top 10 you'd think.

Cheers Panthera :)

Frankly, I hope we are brave enough to make some strong decisions in regards to our playing list where our deficiencies are, our age profile of our list and to make some big calls to fix these holes. Trade and FA is obviously one way but what if this doesn't happen this year, do we just keep waiting for the magical KPF to appear? We are all aware of our deficiencies and also the lack of depth that we have in these areas. KPF is a glaring area and also KPD, frankly our spine is weak and this is our greatest concern. IMO I hope that we target the 2 best KPF's in this drafts with those being Schace and Weideman at this stage and then also the next best KPD's with that being Weitering and also Collins. Other names will pop up and I have no idea where they will be rated by the end of the year. Currently they are rated quite highly. Will it take three first round picks and another second? Most probably. But our list has glaring holes and I hope the club is brave enough to make these decisions. I've heard all the talk about the draft being a lottery and obviously we've had a revolving door at our club with some of our draftees lately but only the brave will prosper and I'm tired of losing all the time. If Aish wants to leave and we can get another first rounder, see ya. If Leuy can miraculously turn things around again be a top 5 ruckman and wants to leave via FA to (hopefully) generate another first rounder, see ya. If we have an absolutely shite year and finish with pick one then move down in the range to acquire these guys whilst also getting something else.

We're a fair chance of scoring a Top 6 pick, hopefully score a Top 10 pick for Aish (if he leaves). Schache, Weidemann and Keays.

Now I shall belligerently stick to this for as long as I can!

Weidemann is a father-son for the Pies isn't he?
No, his grandfather was a premiership captain. More royalty anyone! But I have read an article saying he'll make his own mark happily somewhere else, is actually a tigers supporter (childhood hero Richo) and lived in Adelaide for sometime.

No, his grandfather was a premiership captain. More royalty anyone! But I have read an article saying he'll make his own mark happily somewhere else, is actually a tigers supporter (childhood hero Richo) and lived in Adelaide for sometime.
Ah yes Murray Weidemann. In that case that improves our chances of drafting a KPF in this years top 10 and possibly two depending on how the chips fall at the trade table with the likes of Shache, Weidemann and Burton all showing promising signs.

Even if we did draft a forward, it would normally take 4-6 years for them to mature and our core of Rocky, Redden etc will by in the dying stages of their prime.
This is why I said that some hard decisions will have to be made for the betterment of the club. I'm not going to rehash past failures in attaining a KPF over the last 5 years but you have highlighted a glaring issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they (3R's) also can see this and some difficult decisions on they're part will have to be made especially Rich and Redden who become FA's I believe next year.

Even if we did draft a forward, it would normally take 4-6 years for them to mature and our core of Rocky, Redden etc will by in the dying stages of their prime.

That's what baffles me about some of our list management, we should have been planning for this and taking players like Lynch & Tomlinson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what baffles me about some of our list management, we should have been planning for this and taking players like Lynch & Tomlinson.
Yep that period by the list management has potentially lost us a premiership. We need a good forward when we are in the window wich should be in about 3/4 years

Ah yes Murray Weidemann. In that case that improves our chances of drafting a KPF in this years top 10 and possibly two depending on how the chips fall at the trade table with the likes of Shache, Weidemann and Burton all showing promising signs.
Weideman's father Mark played with Collingwood too but not enough games for father/son eligibility.
For those who haven't seen Sam Weideman, here are some photos I took two weeks ago. Good height for KPP (196cm) but pretty lean as you can see.
_50A7630.jpg _50A7671.jpg PZ0A0145.jpg PZ0A0155.jpg

Last edited:
Despite the fact we've needed a young key forward for about 4 years - will this finally be the year? :drunk:

Will there even be a key forward worthy of pick 1?
Long way to go but at the moment.....not this year. Weitering who is a KPD is one who is beginning to rise to the top but Schache and Weitering are the best KPF's and they are more top ten. Who knows, some ballsy moves/trades and we might get them all. Ryan Burton is another KPF but is 191 but great hands and leap coming ack from an injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back