2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They should organise a game for the 1 v 2 div champs. Mostly likely to be div 1 getting the wins, but it would be a good yard stick over the years to see where the div 2 boys are. Already play some TAC sides.

I wonder if/when the academies start regularly producing top talent other clubs will request this start happening. I'd like to know how the DIV 2 boys fare and I'm sure recruiters would even more.

Last edited:
In relation to Schache and Weitering and if the Suns finish last with everything that is going on the difference might come down to personality types. Don't know much about Schache but everything I've read about Weitering is positive. Supposedly won't touch a drop for the first few years as did Scully, won the Ben Mitchell Medal and also leadership as well........most probably clutching at straws.

There seems to be enough talent in the Academy/Qld boys this year that, except for our first pick, we might be happy enough to only take local kids with ND and rookie picks. Except at the very top end of the draft I haven't seen, heard or read of too many who are compelling enough choices to not take good local prospects. The club might feel entirely differently but I hope we are able to stay loyal to our best local kids.

If, as sounds likely, we need some out-trades (Aish and someone else) to fund our in-trades then what is left might be one early pick for (insert KPP name here) and then pay off the rest of the picks to fund Keays, Hipwood etc.

We also might want to keep the obligatory late pick for a rookie upgrade (possible Bourke I think).

Time will tell but good to see the academy producing results for us. (Cue Eddie Maguire to bleat about how unfair it is to poor Vic clubs.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IDK about Schache... I think Weitering is the better prospect still after watching a few clips.

Watching a few clips doesn't usually help all that much either way.

But there's a massive tick for Schache (his late father's connection) and a massive cross for Weitering (his manager) in my view.

Interestingly, Derek Hine named Weitering, Francis and Hopper as his top 3. He did not name a deadline though :cool:

Shun Beng? ... I *suppose* we could put him on ignore but I didn't think he was really that bad ... what do you think SizeMatters should we shun the Beng that typed the word 'naysayer' or give him another strike or two?

Shuuuun...

Watching a few clips doesn't usually help all that much either way.

But there's a massive tick for Schache (his late father's connection) and a massive cross for Weitering (his manager) in my view.

Interestingly, Derek Hine named Weitering, Francis and Hopper as his top 3. He did not name a deadline though :cool:
Fair enough, I still rate Schache but I just think Weitering is a tier above him in body positioning, reading of the play and willingness to get involved and I think the way Weitering plays he can step up straight into the AFL. Schache is still a while off IMO in terms of accountability, aggression and body positioning. I watched Schache 6 goal performance (his best game apparently) and I think it has been over rated. 3 of his goals were created from sitting off his opponent Frances when he was running off him of which only a poor disposal a kick or two into the oppositions counter attack nabbed him the goals (won't happen as often in AFL).
I haven't seen much 1v1 contests with body positioning from Schache either which is concerning as in the AFL that is the bread and butter to getting goals these days. I can see he has talent and is an elite finisher but still has a long way to go. From my understanding from interviews and watching clips he is a bit reluctant to get into a contested situation. From what I have seen Schache possesses great leading patterns, which is from a deeper understanding of the game which helps him immensely much like Daniher in his draft year. Lacks explosiveness to get separation from his opponent but I think he can remedy this by engaging and pushing off his opponent prior to a hard lead which IMO is missing from his game. Can easily be taught.

Wouldn't mind either and Schache is the better fit but I think long term Weitering will be a better player.

In relation to Schache and Weitering and if the Suns finish last with everything that is going on the difference might come down to personality types. Don't know much about Schache but everything I've read about Weitering is positive. Supposedly won't touch a drop for the first few years as did Scully, won the Ben Mitchell Medal and also leadership as well........most probably clutching at straws.

I think it was Skippos who mentioned that who the Suns pick will come down to what happens with Dixon. If they keep Dixon, more likely to pick Weitering and if Dixon leaves they'll pick up Schache.

I think it was Skippos who mentioned that who the Suns pick will come down to what happens with Dixon. If they keep Dixon, more likely to pick Weitering and if Dixon leaves they'll pick up Schache.

So would we prefer Dixon+Weitering or [other fwd]+Schache? And if we did either of those what is the plan re a mature aged KPD to take the top fwd down back?

Btw are there any examples of Pickering managed clients who have stayed with their original club and where that club is non-heartland?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back