2015 Draft Discussion

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think it's going to come down to percentage for Picks 1 to 3 - Carlton to lose the last 6 games, Lions to beat Carlton, Suns to beat Lions for all of them to finish on 3 wins. Carlton clearly knew this and that explains the Hawks scoreline (that and the huge skill gap between the teams...)

We'll beat the Suns. Their midfield is Rischitelli, Hallahan and Bennell. We should really dominate out of the midfield given their missing Ablett, O'Meara, Swallow and Prestia.

I can't see us finishing last so we'll have pick 2 or 3 but probably most importantly we won't necessarily have pick 1 in the PSD.

A bit of a shame that the year we are playing truly awful, pathetic, uncompetitive footy; there happens to be two other teams in similar positions. Suns with injuries and Carlton with Malthouse.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Darling, Walker, might be top tier now but never looked incredible as juniors.

Not so for Darling.
He was All Australian CHF at the U/18 Champs in 2009 (as an under-ager).
Laid low/had off field issues 2010 season that saw him slide to Eagles 2nd Pick [#26] ...... (some may say that was very convenient).

"Cringeworthy Note": we took Karnezis with Pick 25

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not so for Darling.
Laid low/had off field issues 2010 season that saw him slide to Eagles 2nd Pick [#26] ...... (some may say that was very convenient).

"Cringeworthy Note": We took Justin Clarke in the rookie draft. :thumbsu:

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not so for Darling.

If I'm not mistaken, if it wasn't for his off field discretion's, Darling was being touted as a top 5 pick in his under 17 and draft year. Think in his under 17 year he was even being talked up as the number 1 pick.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Plus Darling is an undersized key forward. If he didn't have Kennedy getting most of the attention I don't think Darling would be all that dangerous.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If I'm not mistaken, if it wasn't for his off field discretion's, Darling was being touted as a top 5 pick in his under 17 and draft year. Think in his under 17 year he was even being talked up as the number 1 pick.
One of his off-field indiscretions actually involved him getting punched out so significantly that he suffered bruising to the brain. It was so significant that there was some doubt for a week or two whether he would be right to play again ever. Really bad hit.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reueben William is an interesting one. Had a great 18's carnival and named best for Qld 18's on the weekend. Exciting talent. If you take Keays & Hipwood early on does that give you any later picks with this new academy points rule?
It would definitely depend on where bids on Keays and Hipwood were and what picks we had

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reueben William is an interesting one. Had a great 18's carnival and named best for Qld 18's on the weekend. Exciting talent. If you take Keays & Hipwood early on does that give you any later picks with this new academy points rule?

If the bids on Keays and Hipwood are high enough, it wipes out our remaining draft, potentially to the extent that we could carry a deficit in to next year.

That is of course assuming that we choose to match a high bid on both of them. We could always pass on one if we don't value the player anywhere near as a high as the bid by another club is. Would like to think that the club will trade in an additional pick/get compo pick to get both though.

This is the 1st time our academy has produced 1st round talent, so would be unlikely we want to miss out on them, plus it will help in the future with our player retention problems.

Don't we get to take blokes with our last picks if they are nominated after the 3rd round or something. Even if we have been downgraded to the last picks in the draft?

Yes. After about pick 52 or so.

Jas_epi421

Senior List
Sep 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So hypothetical
Bris have #1 pick and if Weitering is the best player in the draft hands down
Do we pick Schache as we need a power forward or do we pick the best talent?

Schache It Off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Taylor Swift
So hypothetical
Bris have #1 pick and if Weitering is the best player in the draft hands down
Do we pick Schache as we need a power forward or do we pick the best talent?
Forward & he wouldn't mind heading up North to play for us. I wouldn't want to risk it with Weitering because he is linked to Liam Pickering....

I mean I dread we lose a Pick 1 to 'Homesickness' FML

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
This is the 1st time our academy has produced 1st round talent, so would be unlikely we want to miss out on them, plus it will help in the future with our player retention problems.

Considering the problems we are having with player retention, if we do not draft two first round rated from our Academy then if you ask me our list manager should have serious questions to answer! Also keeping in mind that the club has said over and over that the want more locals on the list.

Jas_epi421

Senior List
Sep 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Forward & he wouldn't mind heading up North to play for us. I wouldn't want to risk it with Weitering because he is linked to Liam Pickering....

I mean I dread we lose a Pick 1 to 'Homesickness' FML
Surely a club cannot let a player manager change our draft movements

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely a club cannot let a player manager change our draft movements

I think a club with as big an issue with retaining high draft picks as we are can definitely be put off by the manager. That being said if Schache is gone before our pick I'd be happy with Weitering.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just read a little about Schache. Wouldnt it be great to get him. He said it would mean something extra to play for the club his dad did. I feel he would instantly buy in and by all reports is the gun forward we need. So let the tankathon continue and bring this kid home.

Jas_epi421

Senior List
Sep 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I keep hearing about this Keays bloke from queensland. My questions are is he a A grade talent and does he fall under our academy selection?

So I keep hearing about this Keays bloke from queensland. My questions are is he a A grade talent and does he fall under our academy selection?

A-/B+ depending on how you rate players, and yes, he's a member of our academy.

Back