List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this year would be a great time to recruit a good second forward prospect and bank them, we have Peterson, Dawes and even Howe, Watts for the forward line now, but in 3 years it would be good to have a 22 year old to play next to Hogan.

I think this year would be a great time to recruit a good second forward prospect and bank them, we have Peterson, Dawes and even Howe, Watts for the forward line now, but in 3 years it would be good to have a 22 year old to play next to Hogan.
Max King could be your man, kicked 2 in half a game down at Casey with s**t awful wind, seems to be developing fairly well. :thumbsu:

Jake Lovett is eligible to join the Demons under the father-son rule where his dad Brett played 235 games between 1986-1997. Jake trained with Melbourne for a few weeks in the pre-season after rules were relaxed to allow clubs more time with their possible father-son picks, and he impressed at stages.
He hasn't had a standout season, but played his best game of the year last week for the Dandenong Stingrays against the Sandringham Dragons.

Lovett, a hard-working inside midfielder, gathered 24 disposals, six clearances and kicked three goals. I think he could be a late pick or rookie, and if he got to the rookie draft he might be better placed for the Dees, who have enjoyed a few good years with the father-son rule.

At this stage the Dees hold pick four - they'd have to look closely at Darcy Parish if available. He's a dashing midfielder, and would add a different element to the young midfield they are building with Angus Brayshaw, Christian Petracca, Dom Tyson and Christian Salem. Others who might come into the mix are key forward Sam Weideman, half-forward/midfielder Harley Balic and Charlie Curnow might sneak in as a top-10 pick despite his knee injury. He could be a good option if Melbourne finishes with pick 7/8. Aaron Francis, South Australia's best performer at the carnival, is also a chance to be available around those selections. I don't think it's a certainty he goes in the first three picks. There's a long way to go and footy still to be played. Often a couple of great finals will elevate one or two players.

From http://www.afl.com.au/draft/blog

We have to go Francis at 4 if he's available - such a nice kick, and can play anywhere. Reminds me of Scharenberg. I don't know about Parish tbh, doesn't look that remarkably special.

As soon as I saw him play once Francis was my man
Exactly the sort of player we need.. He can start off HB when he comes in and become a tall midfielder

At any rate I think we'll end up with pick 6 rather than pick 4. We have an easier run home than the Saints and probably the Bombers too. Knowing us we're a great chance to go winless for the rest of the year, but I do see us finishing 13th at this stage.

We have to go Francis at 4 if he's available - such a nice kick, and can play anywhere. Reminds me of Scharenberg. I don't know about Parish tbh, doesn't look that remarkably special.

Outside of Weitering, Mills, Schache and Frances, I'm not too excited about the top end of this draft.

Could be a good year to get a 2 for 1 again.

Drop back 6 or 7 places and still draft a Balic, Curnow or Weiderman and a player as well..

Outside of Weitering, Mills, Schache and Frances, I'm not too excited about the top end of this draft.

Could be a good year to get a 2 for 1 again.

Drop back 6 or 7 places and still draft a Balic, Curnow or Weiderman and a player as well..
If this 'winning' thing keeps happening that is probably our best bet, trading off pick 5-6 for a team near the top for their 1st and 2nd rounder would be good for our depth if we can't get a top end talent.

Pick 6 would leave us maybe Matheison and Balic as performed players and then the injured guys in Curnow and Weideman.

Any of those would be good picks, Weideman looks a jet in the making too.

If this 'winning' thing keeps happening that is probably our best bet, trading off pick 5-6 for a team near the top for their 1st and 2nd rounder would be good for our depth if we can't get a top end talent.

I think I'd rather get a good quality player, rather than 2 x picks, if we were to drop down the order.

I wouldnt want to drop too far either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at our team selection this week, it's likely that 5 players (Trengove, Kent, Frost, Salem, Petracca) could all be best 22 round 1 2016.
So midfield gaining depth. So unlikely we will use our first pick for another skinny midfielder.
More likely during trade period is that we will table our first pick for 2015 and first pick for 2016 for a A grade mid. Expect FD to take advantage of the new trading rule.

Lovett played in the VFL today for Casey. Will be interesting to see a report on him - could go a long way towards being drafted (if he performed well playing against men).

I think I'd rather get a good quality player, rather than 2 x picks, if we were to drop down the order.

I wouldnt want to drop too far either.
Depends on how we see the draft playing out. For example if there's someone like Jake Lever (who we really liked, considered at the pointy end last year, and then tried to get pick 12 from Richmond to pounce on) that might slip to 14 you'd be happy to trade pick 6 for pick 14 and a decent player (to Sydney for example, who need the draft picks for Mills and Dunkley) or another pick.

If we end up with pick 5-6 then I think we bid on hopper and mills. Then consider Charlie Curnow to play alongside Hogan in the future or turn into a distinct Martin type half forward midfielder

Dunno, I'm really just throwing names out there and I think we need a forward to pair with Hogan
Reading his bio from the supposed draft experts and they liken him to a taller Jake Stringer. If that was true he's the number 1 draft pick, all day every day.

If we're going to punt, I say punt on a highly touted but injured player

Reading his bio from the supposed draft experts and they liken him to a taller Jake Stringer. If that was true he's the number 1 draft pick, all day every day.

If we're going to punt, I say punt on a highly touted but injured player
That's the comparison I was looking for, Jake Stringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back