List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought drafting Hodge and Lewis set up this era. Plus trading for Burgoyne, Hale, Gunston, Frawley, Lake, Gibson...
They drafted gun contested ball winners who were also natural leaders. Hodge has to be the greatest Hawk ever. Ahead of Mathews even.

He should be passed over for his hairstyle alone. Plus he looks like he weighs about 50kg. Picking waifs hasn't been our most successful recruiting strategy in the past Dez.
Yeah would suck to draft a skinny Kent like Fyfe. Never works out.

Different target though, he is on the move and is used when Cloke is being double teamed
Hes also a pretty bloody good player

Yes, different target. He's not likely to be wrestling his opponent out of the way. You've got big units and you've got leading targets. If we're going to quibble on the definition, we haven't had a target up forward since Neitz retired.

Nobody sucked because they were skinny in high school.

Digression, but I remember the school rugby team had set plays named after the people who sucked because they were skinny in high school.

Yes, different target. He's not likely to be wrestling his opponent out of the way. You've got big units and you've got leading targets. If we're going to quibble on the definition, we haven't had a target up forward since Neitz retired.

I do agree though
Hawks won the flag an there hey forward did nothing of note in the 50
Modern footy ha changed that if we rely on hogan we won't win anything

Would rather fast-track our progress by drafting players who will be ready to go in a year to two, and then draft the skinnier ones around them a bit later on.

Would rather fast-track our progress by drafting players who will be ready to go in a year to two, and then draft the skinnier ones around them a bit later on.
This is the way to go. We're not going to be a really good side until the majority of our best players are in the 28-23 age bracket. TMac at one end, Brayshaw/Stretch at the other. So then the young talent that's 23 and under (currently TMac and everyone that will be 23+) are supporting players in a strong team, rather than the only talents. If we recruit some good players drafted between 2005 and 2009 before then things might come on faster, but otherwise it will take 3-4 years at least.

Brad hill, like breust, Isaac smith, Taylor duryea, puopolo, Liam shiels are the outside class and they were all added with late - rookie picks

Cyril is the only one taking early

Better off getting the Hodges and rougheads early because you can build a team around inside players but you can't outside

Brad hill, like breust, Isaac smith, Taylor duryea, puopolo, Liam shiels are the outside class and they were all added with late - rookie picks

Cyril is the only one taking early

Better off getting the Hodges and rougheads early because you can build a team around inside players but you can't outside

"All added with late to rookie picks" is a bit of a stretch, they hit on players from all over the draft through 2008-2011 for those 6 players.

Brad Hill: Pick 33, 2011
Isaac Smith: Pick 19, 2010
Luke Breust: Pick 47, 2009 Rookie
Taylor Duryea: Pick 69, 2009
Paul Puopolo: Pick 66, 2010
Liam Shiels: Pick 34, 2008

When you look at that it's not some out of this world drafting, it's hitting a couple of players in numerous years of the draft that turned into key players. Basically hitting two players from multiple years goes a long way in building a strong foundation for the future, with the last couple of years we are looking like we are making good decisions in those second round, third round and even fourth rounds that are producing players that are showing good signs early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if there's a clearly better talent on the table? That doesn't fast track anything, just limits us.

Cannon82 - IRT Elliot, I thought we were talking contested marking targets inside 50.

"All added with late to rookie picks" is a bit of a stretch, they hit on players from all over the draft through 2008-2011 for those 6 players.

Brad Hill: Pick 33, 2011
Isaac Smith: Pick 19, 2010
Luke Breust: Pick 47, 2009 Rookie
Taylor Duryea: Pick 69, 2009
Paul Puopolo: Pick 66, 2010
Liam Shiels: Pick 34, 2008

When you look at that it's not some out of this world drafting, it's hitting a couple of players in numerous years of the draft that turned into key players. Basically hitting two players from multiple years goes a long way in building a strong foundation for the future, with the last couple of years we are looking like we are making good decisions in those second round, third round and even fourth rounds that are producing players that are showing good signs early.

Yeah I didnt realise Smith was drafted so low but my point still stands, we dont have to reach for an outside mid in the top 10 because you can develop players from the 2nd round and later

Poppy, Duryea, Breust were all taken in the 4th/Rookie draft and Hill and Shiels in the second round

Look at the GF anyway, you need reliable ball winners who make good decisions under pressure all over the ground to win a flag

Even if there's a clearly better talent on the table? That doesn't fast track anything, just limits us.

Cannon82 - IRT Elliot, I thought we were talking contested marking targets inside 50.
That's mostly hypothetical though, isn't it? For every Fyfe, who puts on 20kgs and becomes a genuine beast there is three Cale Mortons (or, a Mitch, Jarred and a Cale) who fail to do it. As good as a player Jarryd Pickett will be, I'm glad we have Brayshaw who played 20 games last season. Its incredibly rare that a lighter/outside player is rated significantly higher than one who plays on the inside, and even more unusual that they actually end up producing more.

That's mostly hypothetical though, isn't it? For every Fyfe, who puts on 20kgs and becomes a genuine beast there is three Cale Mortons (or, a Mitch, Jarred and a Cale) who fail to do it. As good as a player Jarryd Pickett will be, I'm glad we have Brayshaw who played 20 games last season. Its incredibly rare that a lighter/outside player is rated significantly higher than one who plays on the inside, and even more unusual that they actually end up producing more.

When was the last time we had a midfield beast, like someone who built up like crazy
Our players always seem to be on the skinnier side... Sylvia and moloney had good beach weights but we need blokes to get huge through the core and legs
Jack Watts could really benefit from it

Yeah it's me and not the arbitrary policy of yours that would preclude the team from drafting future champions based on whether they were buff dudes at 18.

We need more swole bros.

2009 draft Pick 18 the Tempy Tiger method:
TappyL.jpg

Skinny wimp pick 20:
Fremantle+Dockers+Training+Session+QbGjrOV_kpYl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back