2015 Draft - Jourdan Canil (Bound For Glory News)

Remove this Banner Ad

Four players taken in the first round last draft were indigenous.
Apart from Ah Chee, what other indigenous boys look promising?

Yestin Eades is the next best from Swan Districts. I think he'll be playing for Vic Country next year though.

Don't mind Russle Wynne from Claremont. Skinny spring healed forward with clear skills.

Tom cole. Gun. Wouldn't be surprised if he was Bendigo's captain or even Vic country's captain at the champs.

Cole looks like a natural leader and should hopefully come on a bit this year. Unfortunately, whether it's due to a lack of other talented players or something else, many of the star Pioneers players in the past few years have been overlooked, as they have been either a big fish in a small pond (Jake Maher) or they're too small (sam heavyside, jacob chisari).

Hopefully Cole doesn't get neglected as he dominates for a poor side each week.

Worth noting that we've lost the battle for Liam Mosely. Signed a junior contract with the Broncos apparently and is also playing aussie schoolboys rugby 7's or something like that. We won't be seeing him at national champs I wouldn't think, has already stopped playing pre season games for the Lions Academy.

Hi guys,

Just an update to my OP. You should keep an eye on the JC Form report on Bound for Glory News, that'll be the best way to monitor bolters and sliders throughout the season. Right now I've got Jade Gresham as the biggest bolter, but guys like Brayden Fiorini, Lachie Tardrew, Ryan Clarke and Blake Hardwick have shown consistent form and flashes of first round talent. FYI - Blake Hardwick has got a bit of Nat Fyfe draft year about him. Just waiting to see whether his midfield skills will build over the year.

My top 20 talents at this stage, and I must stress these are groupings and not in order, and Hopper, Keays, Mills and Dunkley will be affected due to F/S and Academy

Top Five
Jacob Weitering - Key Defender -Alex Rance
Cal Mills - Complete midfielder - Sam Mitchell
Josh Dunkley - Complete Player - Josh P Kennedy
Darcy Parish - Best outside talent - Simon Black
Ben Keays - Midfielder / Half Forward - Christian Petracca / Dustin Martin

Top Ten or close to that mark
Callum Ah Chee - Midfielder / Utility - Chris Yarran
Darcy Tucker - Halfback/Midfielder - Dyson Heppell
Rhys Mathieson - All-Round Midfielder - Michael Voss
Jacob Hopper - Inside Ball Winner - Matt Crouch
Nick O'Keaney - Outside ball winner - Brent Stanton
Ryan Clarke - Speedy big bodied midfielder - Nathan Freeman
Josh Schache - Burly Key Forward - Paddy McCartin

First Round
Aaron Francis - Half Back - Haven't seen enough to make a judgement
Sam Weideman - Inconsistent Key Forward - Travis Cloke
Jade Gresham - All-round midfielder - Jobe Watson
Ben Crocker- Inside midfielder with developing outside game - Luke Shuey
Ryan Burton - Medium Forward - Brett Burton
Kieren Agius - Medium Foward - Haven't seen enough yet
Kieren Collins - Tall Defender -Michael Jamison
Tom Cole - Strong midfielder - Haven't seen enough yet
Blake Hardwick - Tough medium forward with a developing midfield game - Jake Stringer / Nat Fyfe

High Quality talents
Luke Partington - Midfielder who hits the scoreboard -
Stephen Tahana - Defensive Midfielder - Andrew Carrazzo
Tom Bennett - Midfielder -
Kade Stewart - Inside Midfielder
Sam Skinner - Key forward -
James Parsons - Tall Midfielder / Half Forward - Scott Pendlebury
Kieran Malone - Half Forward / Midfielder with x- factor - Jake Melksham
Harley Balic - Half Forward / Midfielder with x- factor - Michael Walters
Greg Clark - Tall Midfielder -
Harry Thompson - Key Forward / Ruckman - Michael Apeness
Brayden Fiorini - Outside Midfielder / Half Back - Jason Ashby
Lachie Tardrew - Outside Midfielder / Half Back -

Later Rounds
Jordan Matera - Small Forward - Stephen Milne
Hirsham Kerbatieh - Small Forward / Midfielder - Touk Miller
Dan Houston - Medium Forward - Stewart Crameri
Leigh Spiteri - Inside midfielder
Charlie Curnow - Utility
Zak Wunhym - Small forward / high production midfielder - Dayne Zorko
Nick Pavlou - Small midfielder - Heath Hocking
Jake Lovett - Inside Midfielder
Bailey Rice - Inside Midfielder
Tate Marsh - Outside Midfielder - Dale Thomas
Gach Ngyuon - Athletic Ruckman
Tom Wallis - Inside Midfielder
Bryce Batty - Inside Midfielder
Liam Jeffs - Tall Midfielder
Tom Wilkinson - All round midfielder with x-factor - Billy Hartung
Tyler Roos - Outside Midfielder who hits the scoreboard - Jarrod Garlett
Michael Mattingly - Outside midfielder / half back
Nash Holmes - Tackling midfielder
Mark Koracevic - Burly ruckman - Shane Mumford
Jack Silvagni - Medium Forward
Tom Phillips - Medium Defender
Dylan McDonald - All round midfielder
Eric Hipwood - Athletic Key Forward

I guess the thing that needs to be kept in mind is that if they change the rule for the Swans it has to change for everybody. And that means that Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney will be affected by the rules and this will not suit the AFL.

Its the sad thing about the whole reactionary decision making that goes on in the AFL... The Swans, Lions, GWS, and GC have spent resources developing youngsters in a non footballing area under agreed rules... Heeney over reaction will prob hurt the lions more in the short term as they will likely have to sell the farm to get Keays when they will need their 1st pick to find a tall forward

Hi guys,

Just an update to my OP. You should keep an eye on the JC Form report on Bound for Glory News, that'll be the best way to monitor bolters and sliders throughout the season. Right now I've got Jade Gresham as the biggest bolter, but guys like Brayden Fiorini, Lachie Tardrew, Ryan Clarke and Blake Hardwick have shown consistent form and flashes of first round talent. FYI - Blake Hardwick has got a bit of Nat Fyfe draft year about him. Just waiting to see whether his midfield skills will build over the year.

My top 20 talents at this stage, and I must stress these are groupings and not in order, and Hopper, Keays, Mills and Dunkley will be affected due to F/S and Academy

Top Five

Ive only seen a bit of Mills footage and he was very impressive..but Mitchell would have been the last player id compare him too...He looked a high marking mid to me...perhaps Fyfe is a better example but with a better kick?

Its the sad thing about the whole reactionary decision making that goes on in the AFL... The Swans, Lions, GWS, and GC have spent resources developing youngsters in a non footballing area under agreed rules... Heeney over reaction will prob hurt the lions more in the short term as they will likely have to sell the farm to get Keays when they will need their 1st pick to find a tall forward

If you have a problem paying what a player is worth minus an agreed discount , then I think you may be wanting more than is acceptable. If it was t continue then all Vic clubs would demand the same sort of Academies... Sure develop the pool , get to grab a potential FS type each year but don't expect other clubs to just sit on their hands.

If you have a problem paying what a player is worth minus an agreed discount , then I think you may be wanting more than is acceptable. If it was t continue then all Vic clubs would demand the same sort of Academies... Sure develop the pool , get to grab a potential FS type each year but don't expect other clubs to just sit on their hands.

I have lots of problems... most of all with the AFL giving the Vic clubs a free run with the fixture to build their clubs up but hey... not to mention the endorsement crazy environment that is VIC footy that never gets brought up...but some interstate clubs that get no exposure in even their home state get a little extra coin to help out, then some academies to try and pluck youngsters out of the rugby heartlands and develop them for the AFL over 6 years and all hell breaks lose. FACT is the VIC clubs have things very bloody good in terms of the competition. NO OTHER competition in the world gives a single state the corporate advantage that is seen in VIC FOOTY/AFL. I for once would like VIC fans to call for a equalization of the fixture before they start banging on about all these advantages that the interstate clubs get. Eddie McGuire syndrome!

I have lots of problems... most of all with the AFL giving the Vic clubs a free run with the fixture to build their clubs up but hey... not to mention the endorsement crazy environment that is VIC footy that never gets brought up...but some interstate clubs that get no exposure in even their home state get a little extra coin to help out, then some academies to try and pluck youngsters out of the rugby heartlands and develop them for the AFL over 6 years and all hell breaks lose. FACT is the VIC clubs have things very bloody good in terms of the competition. NO OTHER competition in the world gives a single state the corporate advantage that is seen in VIC FOOTY/AFL. I for once would like VIC fans to call for a equalization of the fixture before they start banging on about all these advantages that the interstate clubs get. Eddie McGuire syndrome!

Life is not fair. Geelong doesn't get the same advantage as Collingwood , Melb not the same as us. Not all Vic clubs are the same. Then to bring that into the drafting of youth talent that you have exclusive rights to is irrelevant to what you are paying for the player. All that has changed is you are asked to pay a fair amount with a discount. As Ive said before , id be very happy to just let all clubs have their own version of it... Geelong have dibs on Geelong Falcon each year

Hi guys,

Top Five
Jacob Weitering - Key Defender -Alex Rance
Josh Dunkley - Complete Player - Josh P Kennedy
Darcy Parish - Best outside talent - Simon Black
Ben Keays - Midfielder / Half Forward - Christian Petracca / Dustin Martin

Top Ten or close to that mark
Callum Ah Chee - Midfielder / Utility - Chris Yarran
Darcy Tucker - Halfback/Midfielder - Dyson Heppell
Rhys Mathieson - All-Round Midfielder - Michael Voss
Jacob Hopper - Inside Ball Winner - Matt Crouch
Nick O'Keaney - Outside ball winner - Brent Stanton
Ryan Clarke - Speedy big bodied midfielder - Nathan Freeman
Josh Schache - Burly Key Forward - Paddy McCartin

First Round
Aaron Francis - Half Back - Haven't seen enough to make a judgement
Sam Weideman - Inconsistent Key Forward - Travis Cloke
Jade Gresham - All-round midfielder - Jobe Watson
Ben Crocker- Inside midfielder with developing outside game - Luke Shuey
Ryan Burton - Medium Forward - Brett Burton
Kieren Agius - Medium Foward - Haven't seen enough yet
Kieren Collins - Tall Defender -Michael Jamison
Tom Cole - Strong midfielder - Haven't seen enough yet
Blake Hardwick - Tough medium forward with a developing midfield game - Jake Stringer / Nat Fyfe

High Quality talents
Luke Partington - Midfielder who hits the scoreboard -
Stephen Tahana - Defensive Midfielder - Andrew Carrazzo
Tom Bennett - Midfielder -
Kade Stewart - Inside Midfielder
Sam Skinner - Key forward -
James Parsons - Tall Midfielder / Half Forward - Scott Pendlebury
Kieran Malone - Half Forward / Midfielder with x- factor - Jake Melksham
Harley Balic - Half Forward / Midfielder with x- factor - Michael Walters
Greg Clark - Tall Midfielder -
Harry Thompson - Key Forward / Ruckman - Michael Apeness
Brayden Fiorini - Outside Midfielder / Half Back - Jason Ashby
Lachie Tardrew - Outside Midfielder / Half Back -

Later Rounds
Jordan Matera - Small Forward - Stephen Milne
Hirsham Kerbatieh - Small Forward / Midfielder - Touk Miller
Dan Houston - Medium Forward - Stewart Crameri
Leigh Spiteri - Inside midfielder
Charlie Curnow - Utility
Zak Wunhym - Small forward / high production midfielder - Dayne Zorko
Nick Pavlou - Small midfielder - Heath Hocking
Jake Lovett - Inside Midfielder
Bailey Rice - Inside Midfielder
Tate Marsh - Outside Midfielder - Dale Thomas
Gach Ngyuon - Athletic Ruckman
Tom Wallis - Inside Midfielder
Bryce Batty - Inside Midfielder
Liam Jeffs - Tall Midfielder
Tom Wilkinson - All round midfielder with x-factor - Billy Hartung
Tyler Roos - Outside Midfielder who hits the scoreboard - Jarrod Garlett
Michael Mattingly - Outside midfielder / half back
Nash Holmes - Tackling midfielder
Mark Koracevic - Burly ruckman - Shane Mumford
Jack Silvagni - Medium Forward
Tom Phillips - Medium Defender
Dylan McDonald - All round midfielder
Eric Hipwood - Athletic Key Forward
Some nice work there but I do slightly question the comparison for Parish. Best outside talent and Simon Black? Black had the skills but with his pace he wasn't really an outside player was he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eirc Hipwood has the most upside out of the talks this year. He can play back, forward, in the ruck and can also play on a wing like he did in the under 16's in 2013.

Ive only seen a bit of Mills footage and he was very impressive..but Mitchell would have been the last player id compare him too...He looked a high marking mid to me...perhaps Fyfe is a better example but with a better kick?

I'm not a big fan of doing comparisons, as they are very rarely spot on. I've had the chance of seeing Mills several times now. To me, he isn't a great ball user. Just around middle of the road (70% ish disposal efficiency). He can take an overhead mark, but I believe Mitchell was a better comparison than Fyfe as he's more of a 'vanilla' footballer. Doesn't kick those freakish goals, but he'll do everything else right.

Some nice work there but I do slightly question the comparison for Parish. Best outside talent and Simon Black? Black had the skills but with his pace he wasn't really an outside player was he?

Again, not a fan of doing the comparisons. The main reason to compare them would be the decision making and ability to make awkward little kicks under pressure look easy. Parish is definitely a faster outside type, but he's definitely more of a smart player than a Chris Yarran. Perhaps a mix of Stephen Hill and Simon Black in terms of athletic ability, game style and smarts.

Dukes Of Hurley thoughts on two December 97 KPFs, Harry McKay (Gippsland) and Karl Brown (Calder).

Haven't had much of a chance to have a look at McKay. Karl Brown however has been in pretty good form. Kicked six a few weeks back if I recall. He's a really solid mark, and I like his goal kicking action. Think he's probably a limited player, and he's probably a chance to get picked up in the later rounds or as a rookie. Not that I don't rate him, it's just that clubs will only take a key forward if they're a clear top ten talent - OR - if they have been consistent performers, have the size and have some scope to improve.

My benchmark for Brown will be similar to Jayden Foster last year. Foster was dominant, and even so, he was perhaps lucky to be taken in the National Draft. For a while after the Bulldogs passed on him I wasn't sure if he'd be drafted at all. Brown needs to show that he's a 35+ goal kicker in the TAC Cup at that size for me.

Eirc Hipwood has the most upside out of the talks this year. He can play back, forward, in the ruck and can also play on a wing like he did in the under 16's in 2013.

Not sure about the most upside, but for me he's got a bit of the Lin Jong type appeal. With his speed and leaping, he can play anywhere on the ground. He might not perform as well as other Academy prospects, but I can see the Lions having to take him with at least their third rounder or maybe even second, as athletic freaks are highly valued in the ND.

If carlton finish bottom 3 who do you think they will go for in terms of what they need. Who would be in the mix

Again, not a fan of doing the comparisons. The main reason to compare them would be the decision making and ability to make awkward little kicks under pressure look easy. Parish is definitely a faster outside type, but he's definitely more of a smart player than a Chris Yarran. Perhaps a mix of Stephen Hill and Simon Black in terms of athletic ability, game style and smarts.
I understand that but good ones can make it pretty clear what style of player they have the potential to be like. When you put that fuller comparison there it gives a really good understanding of what Parish is like

If carlton finish bottom 3 who do you think they will go for in terms of what they need. Who would be in the mix

Weitering as a key defender would make sense, and I don't think they could look past him if he was on the board. Otherwise I'd be inclined to take Darcy Parish - his speed, excellent footskills and decision making is exactly what the Blues need. Mathieson and Tucker are other options too.

Weitering as a key defender would make sense, and I don't think they could look past him if he was on the board. Otherwise I'd be inclined to take Darcy Parish - his speed, excellent footskills and decision making is exactly what the Blues need. Mathieson and Tucker are other options too.

thanks

TBH I dont know how much academy posturing has gone into people rankings, but these three seem polished!!! Interested to hear the actual difference between O'Keaney and Mills/Hopper/Keays

O'Keaney doesn't have the size the other 3 have. His around 179cm plays a bit like Marc Murphy.

The other 3 are all over 185 and can play more inside.

Just an update guys. I've written this article rating the top 10 vic metro players to watch for during champs. I rate them on the positivesm the negatives and an overall score out of 30, factoring in production, potential and size. http://boundforglorynews.com/the-10-vic-metro-players-to-watch-in-the-championships/

The reason why this article is so relevant now is because there's been serious shows of potential over the weekend.
  • Blake Hardwick kicked 10 against Geelong (a very good side). This guy isn't even 185cm. Such a unique talent.
  • Jade Gresham is leading the TAC Cup in disposals
  • Brayden Fiorini had 37 disposals (although at a just okay 70%, very unusual for him!)
  • Ben Crocker had 33 disposals, nine marks (one contested) and six tackles - I actually under rated his production to date, as he wasn't quite as good with the ball as he needed to be.
  • Harley Balic had 31 disposals, five marks (one contested) and seven tackles. Plenty of outside work as well, which he needed to do to get into some form. Hoping his kicking efficiency improves though.

Gday everyone.

Had a lot of people asking me about Charlie Curnow. There's not too much footage of him and people haven't seen much of him due to injury. Here's my thoughts on him:

Charlie Curnow is going to cause some serious headaches for recruiters come draft day. The 191 centimetre forward/midfielder missed the entirety of the Under 18s National Championships with a knee problem, but has returned to the TAC Cup in solid form.

Curnow is a strong chance to bolt into the top five, according to several of the in-the-know draft reporters.

His story is eerily similar to Jake Stringer’s in some parts. Both looked like top 10 picks as 17-year-olds, despite queries over height, position and ongoing injury issues.

Stringer looked to be a talented, strong-bodied midfielder as an underage prospect, but after returning from a broken leg, Stringer played as a forward as he regained fitness. He was absolutely dominant, kicking bags of goals on several occasions.

Yet recruiters were unsure on where he stood, as he sat in that awkward height range. Was he a forward or a midfielder? Ultimately, the Bulldogs took him as the pick with the most upside and that has clearly paid off.

Curnow is in a similar boat, as he has played as a key forward for the Geelong Falcons in most of his games.

He kicked eight goals in 11 games last year, and when you consider he was playing behind Paddy McCartin and Hugh Goddard in the key position spots, that’s not so bad. He also did plenty of ruck work last year as well, highlighting his excellent leap and athleticism.

This year, he’s been restricted to just seven games, but he’s been able to kick 14 goals. He hasn’t had any huge hauls, but he’s kicked more than three goals in a game three times this year, and has only gone goalless once.

In his return to footy two weeks ago, he had his best game up forward with four goals and six marks – three of which were contested.

Curnow’s bread and butter is contested marking. He often has as many contested marks as uncontested. With his fitness still below where he’d like it to be, you can only see his marking totals increase.

He’s the type of player who knows exactly where to lead and he doesn’t get caught leading to would-be congested areas. But when he does enter a pack, he splits it open and he’s terrific overhead.

Curnow’s upside is his development as a midfielder. Against the Pioneers early in the year, Curnow racked up 20 disposals. 11 marks (three contested), three tackles and a goal. The week before that, he kicked three goals, had 11 disposals, six tackles and 18 hitouts.

The biggest tick with Curnow is the recent history of picks with similar bodies. Patrick Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli and Jake Stringer all have different game styles, but they shared that height, strength, versatility and ability up forward.

Recruiters must seriously consider Curnow in the first handful of picks. The Bombers, Demons and Saints will be seriously interested.

At his peak, Curnow could be a bulky inside midfielder who is also a steady kick, yet he could also be an interesting option as a second or their tall forward. His fitness probably isn’t good enough to play in the midfield at all for the rest of this year, so recruiters may not get to see his full potential.

Some have suggested he could become a Josh Kennedy-type midfielder. It is possible, with his strength, big body and running power. But at this stage, he’s struggled to find the ball.

What recruiters may like about his game is that he’s composed in traffic and seems to have a strong sense of spatial awareness. He’s classy, and doesn’t need to rely on his strength to be a bully.

A Jake Stringer comparison seems much more applicable, based on what we have seen on his small sample size. But what we know for sure is that he has many tricks and some of them are quite rare qualities.

Recruiters would have been a bit apprehensive 10 years ago as they got stuck labelling him in certain positions and as a certain type of player. He could have been seen as a ‘boom or bust’ type project player. But now, recruiters understand that they have to have an open mind and look at players as a whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back