List Mgmt. 2015 Draft: Jacob Hopper GWS Academy Player Rated A Top 5 Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

7 NSW/ACT Players selected to go to the AFL Draft Combine with all but one linked to the Giants Academy:

NSW/ACTJock Cornell - Mangoplah CUE
Matthew Flynn - Narrandera
Harrison Himmelberg - Eastlake/Mangoplah CUE
Jacob Hopper - Leeton-Whitton/North Ballarat Rebels
Matthew Kennedy - Collingulli-GP
Callum Mills - North Shore
Lachlan Tiziani - Albury/Murray Bushrangers

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-27/sting-in-the-tale-for-2016-draft

Was originally from Broken Hill so it looks like he made a move over to Albury in the last 12 months, but as a player for the rams he played as a running half back and as a mid sized fwd at times and is a decent size at 188cm and remember him kicking a nice running goal in one of the games in the u18 champs, and if as has been suggested that both Wilson and Hampton go then perhaps there could be an opening for him.

Last edited:

Jacob hopper has played about 25 games this year and they said he is looking a bit fatigue and tired but played a good game in the final on the weekend with 27 touches 6 tackles and 2 goals is in the allies game but probably won't play
So is Mathew Kennedy who they said is one to watch after missing the championships with a knee injury solid smooth moving midfielder who kicks goals and marks well above his head 187 cm and 84 kg good size

Mathew Kennedy was really quiet in the allies game the other day but bound to have quiet days

If you get the chance you might want to watch the game again
Fellow Giants academy prospect Matt Kennedy also impressed, gathering 19 disposals, seven clearances and five inside-50s.
Kennedy, who missed three months of the season with a knee injury, showed why he is expected to be a top-10 pick with class overhead, strength at the stoppages and smarts at ground level.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-nab-afl-academy-in-grand-final-curtainraiser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great seeing the Giants going with NSW talent and backing them in.

Born and bread in the Riverina (and hope to soon return) which makes the Giants my second team!

Love hearing about all the player development going on down there. Can see the Giants being stacked with local players in no time. Its a wonder that this part of the country was neglected for so long!

Can see NSW producing several top20 picks consistently year in year out now. So good.

Very excited about Hopper. Imagine the tears if he comes out and plays 18 games with us next year and wins the Rising Star in a canter.

Even though you guys get the Riverina, I'm glad that the Northern teams are doing such a good job securing these young players.

Will be excellent when you are drafting players from Parramatta and westward.

Even though you guys get the Riverina, I'm glad that the Northern teams are doing such a good job securing these young players.

Will be excellent when you are drafting players from Parramatta and westward.

We're a decade away from that at least, I reckon.

We're a decade away from that at least, I reckon.

A bit pessimistic - can't remember his name, but we had a kid from the St Clair Crows play NEAFL for us, including the prelim this year. Proper development and backing through the academy, there's a 13/14 year old out there that will be playing for us within 5 years. Definitely one within a decade.

A bit pessimistic - can't remember his name, but we had a kid from the St Clair Crows play NEAFL for us, including the prelim this year. Proper development and backing through the academy, there's a 13/14 year old out there that will be playing for us within 5 years. Definitely one within a decade.
Really? Well that's good news. I thought we'd start having a trickle of "true locals" coming in about 15 years after our inception.
To do it within 10 years would be testament to the platforms we are laying.

Really? Well that's good news. I thought we'd start having a trickle of "true locals" coming in about 15 years after our inception.
To do it within 10 years would be testament to the platforms we are laying.

The 13/14 year old might not have played Auskick but been an RL player with good footskills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back