mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Interesting story about Tyrone Leonardis who was taken by the Swans at number 51. Earlier in the year he had updated his social media pages with such gems as giving Adam Goodes the monikers of "w**ker of the year" and "flog of the year". These pages seem to have been extensively searched recently. Apart from the general public, I would guess that a lot of the searching may have been done by his teammates, and a frosty reception may be in order.

Interesting story about Tyrone Leonardis who was taken by the Swans at number 51. Earlier in the year he had updated his social media pages with such gems as giving Adam Goodes the monikers of "w**ker of the year" and "flog of the year". These pages seem to have been extensively searched recently. Apart from the general public, I would guess that a lot of the searching may have been done by his teammates, and a frosty reception may be in order.
Saw something on a big footy main board thread but only scan read it. Ex swan Brad Seymour talked about it on 7mate"s sport panel show Sports Clubhouse on Thursday nigbt. Apparently he called Adam Goodes and apologised. Seymour said it will be an awkward moment when he meets his team mates but reckons they will be prepare to forgive a young person. The panel then had a good discussion about it.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It's incredible how stupid some guys are with social media. Growing up with a few guys of draft interest:

• One didn't shy away from the fact that he was an absolute party animal and often alluded to certain substances in his posts. Keen to share his fighting exploits at parties. This is despite being involved in the state system for about four or five years, being nominated for the 17 y.o. mini-draft and playing exceptionally well in the championships in his underage year. Had senior WAFL game time as a 17 year old as well. Dropped out of the state side midway through, with insinuations he was involved in the movement of said substances, then dropped out of his WAFL side. Convinced to come back for a couple of colts games, dominated them then walked out again. Still after all this two very well resourced sides came down to speak to him prior to the draft... apparently rocked up with no shoes, singlet and footy shorts which would have made for a very interesting conversation. Needless to say, wasn't drafted and from what I've heard has been some pretty sad stories since.
  • Another, this one who is still on an AFL list also liked to remind people how much of a mad dog or sick **** he was. Less blatant than the first player, but the stories around him were not good at all and was very well known to the police. All this was pretty common knowledge and wouldn't be hard to put the pieces together based on his facebook posts at the time, yet a club with enormous reach and recruiting resources was happy to select him despite being considered a fairly marginal prospect as a talent. Well, has justified their faith in him with his footy but they've also got burnt by him as he hasn't been willing to change his spots off field since being drafted.
  • This one is nowhere near as serious or bad but made me laugh nonetheless was a certain player now at a certain other Adelaide club prior to really coming onto the draft radar (but was at his WAFL club) put up a very helpful pictorial demonstration of 'how to piss with a boner'. Said photograph was a naked shot of him lying perpendicular (great word in this context...) on his toilet at home. Points for creativity I guess, but again would be an interesting conversation with recruiters.

So yeah in many instances clubs are willing to ignore the unashamed online meatheaded-ness. To be fair there's been a few other guys who've been drafted and have been pretty much perfect citizens.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Teammates should appreciate a young player whose honest. Plenty of flog players drafted, but considering half the population thinks Goodes is a w***er, making him toe the party (club) line is a nice bit of early group think.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFL draftee didn't like a player from the team he was drafted too. Normally not a problem, media run with it because Goodes.

If labor seriously recruit him, they dun goofed.

Not that I am an expert on politics, but if in the right electorate he's probably do well. He polarises, but his supporters are numerous and pretty vocal.

LK Metro

All Australian
Sep 5, 2013
Uptome...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Seahawks & MN Wild
It's incredible how stupid some guys are with social media. Growing up with a few guys of draft interest:

• One didn't shy away from the fact that he was an absolute party animal and often alluded to certain substances in his posts. Keen to share his fighting exploits at parties. This is despite being involved in the state system for about four or five years, being nominated for the 17 y.o. mini-draft and playing exceptionally well in the championships in his underage year. Had senior WAFL game time as a 17 year old as well. Dropped out of the state side midway through, with insinuations he was involved in the movement of said substances, then dropped out of his WAFL side. Convinced to come back for a couple of colts games, dominated them then walked out again. Still after all this two very well resourced sides came down to speak to him prior to the draft... apparently rocked up with no shoes, singlet and footy shorts which would have made for a very interesting conversation. Needless to say, wasn't drafted and from what I've heard has been some pretty sad stories since.
  • Another, this one who is still on an AFL list also liked to remind people how much of a mad dog or sick **** he was. Less blatant than the first player, but the stories around him were not good at all and was very well known to the police. All this was pretty common knowledge and wouldn't be hard to put the pieces together based on his facebook posts at the time, yet a club with enormous reach and recruiting resources was happy to select him despite being considered a fairly marginal prospect as a talent. Well, has justified their faith in him with his footy but they've also got burnt by him as he hasn't been willing to change his spots off field since being drafted.
  • This one is nowhere near as serious or bad but made me laugh nonetheless was a certain player now at a certain other Adelaide club prior to really coming onto the draft radar (but was at his WAFL club) put up a very helpful pictorial demonstration of 'how to piss with a boner'. Said photograph was a naked shot of him lying perpendicular (great word in this context...) on his toilet at home. Points for creativity I guess, but again would be an interesting conversation with recruiters.

So yeah in many instances clubs are willing to ignore the unashamed online meatheaded-ness. To be fair there's been a few other guys who've been drafted and have been pretty much perfect citizens.

Names would make this more interesting...
I mean if these blokes are prepared to share this stuff on social media, it shouldn't be a big issue to put a name to it, surely?

Pretty funny the pissing with a boner one.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
The description of the draft on the home page makes interesting reading. It contains such gems as this :

Somewhere in all of this carnage Adelaide drafted somebody with the surname Doedee as if to deliberately ensure that the swimming pool scene from Caddyshack would live forever.

Other highlights included Gil’s eyes doing the full 360 at one point as he stood on stage in silence trying to work out whether he was supposed to be speaking or not, and the vigilante activities of Luke Beveridge who came dressed like somebody you’d avoid on public transport then proceeded to storm the stage for an announcement that the Bulldogs had drafted Josh Dunkley before it had even been confirmed that he was officially theirs. The microphone cut out on him, so he exited stage left only for Gil to come on and say exactly the same thing he had been trying to a few seconds earlier.

We were eventually rewarded with a Richmond selecting a character called Oleg Markov who appears to be a cinema villain from 1913, and an improbably named fellow called Wylie Buzza who must have been recruited directly from the WWE

Read the whole article here.
http://www.bigfooty.com/news/2015/11/one-is-the-loneliest-number-supermercado-reviews-draft-night/

NOTE : The "caddyshack pool scene" link above takes you to a youtube which asks you to sign in as it may not be appropriate for all ages. Why, I don't know. Here is a link that can be used by anyone.

Last edited:
Back