List Mgmt. 2015 Draft Prospects (Poll Added 31/8/15)

Which player do you want at our first selection?

• Harry McKay

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Kieran Collins

Votes: 40 25.0%
  • Ryan Burton

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Darcy Tucker

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Callum Ah Chee

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Harley Balic

• Riley Bonner

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Other (Specify Below)

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Ben McKay

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Mitch Hibberd

• Daniel Rioli

• Jade Gresham

• Clayton Oliver

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but what I'm asking is, has Curnow really done enough in the midfield where a lot of people are banking on him playing? Bontempelli for example killed it in the last half of the season playing as an inside midfielder. From what I've seen and heard, Curnow has played well as an inside mid in patches, but hasn't really had that one stellar game yet nor played good consistent football.
The recruiters will look back at his previous seasons & will obviously have to assess whether his injuries have curtailed his performances or he just hasn't really improved since last year

Here are his numbers from last year
Charles Curnow
Geelong Falcons Forward 187cms

Curnow is a late developing with an athletics background and is brother of Carlton midfielder Ed. He started the 2014 season at full back and was a more than component performance, however with key position teammates Pat McCartin & Hugh Goddard also juggling school and state commitments, Curnow was also swung into the forward-line with occasional stints in the ruck. A good size and still growing,
his 11 performances across the season were more then credible, averaging 11 disposals, six contested possessions, seven hitouts and four marks per game.

Wiz, on Curnow, do you think he's done enough to go top 10 at this stage? I tend to think he's a bit like Laverde from last year, as in he's very highly rated on bigfooty, but it's not really reflective on where he will go on draft night. He's mostly just potential. His production level isn't that great so far.

I view Curnow more as a goal kicking forward who occasionally goes through the midfield in stints rather than a pure midfielder. It is his athletic traits and size that are hard to match up on whuch is the reason that he is seen as a top 10 pick this year by most draft media and on BF.

Laverde was pumped up too much on BF had issues with game that made me go off him towards the end of the year.

Maybe, but what I'm asking is, has Curnow really done enough in the midfield where a lot of people are banking on him playing? Bontempelli for example killed it in the last half of the season playing as an inside midfielder. From what I've seen and heard, Curnow has played well as an inside mid in patches, but hasn't really had that one stellar game yet nor played good consistent football.
I'd probably compare him more to a de goey type of pick where a club will see the good in him and the fact that what he does is good more often than not, and gamble that when he steps in to an elite environment he will blossom. Remember he has had a growth spurt recently so is still getting used to playing with the extra height. Injury hasn't helped. Once he is given a consistent role and a consistent run at it I feel like he will improve constantly and quickly. Hopefully we can see him test at the combine but it seems his mix of height, athleticism and size as well as his skill set will see him become an excellent AFL footballer.

Even though i've only seen limited amount of him - Ryan Burton still the one i want, could end up the best of the lot.

Also think Charles Curnow will be a special player as well, but he's very unlikely to fall to our first.
Adding another strong making forward who could push into the midfield when needed would be incredible. Our offence would be incredibly potent.

Without having any idea of the talent levels of these kids, I actually like the sound of this years first round more than the last few. Must be the lack of inside mids...

Adding another strong making forward who could push into the midfield when needed would be incredible. Our offence would be incredibly potent.

Without having any idea of the talent levels of these kids, I actually like the sound of this years first round more than the last few. Must be the lack of inside mids...
There are plenty of inside mids but they are all headed to GWS, Sydney or Brisbane. Draft crop does look quite strong however and our chances of getting another a grade talent in the first round are as good as ever.

I view Curnow more as a goal kicking forward who occasionally goes through the midfield in stints rather than a pure midfielder. It is his athletic traits and size that are hard to match up on whuch is the reason that he is seen as a top 10 pick this year by most draft media and on BF.

Laverde was pumped up too much on BF had issues with game that made me go off him towards the end of the year.

Fair enough. He would certainly be a tough match up, I won't disagree. It's just whenever I've seen him play, I always walk away thinking he could be doing so much more. He's certainly not as advanced as Stringer or Darling at this stage of their careers which is why I'm questioning whether he will go top 10.

Personally I think there's a decent chance he may be available depending on what pick we end up with and Curnow's finish to the season.

I'd probably compare him more to a de goey type of pick where a club will see the good in him and the fact that what he does is good more often than not, and gamble that when he steps in to an elite environment he will blossom. Remember he has had a growth spurt recently so is still getting used to playing with the extra height. Injury hasn't helped. Once he is given a consistent role and a consistent run at it I feel like he will improve constantly and quickly. Hopefully we can see him test at the combine but it seems his mix of height, athleticism and size as well as his skill set will see him become an excellent AFL footballer.

Yeah not sure, I still think De Goey produced more. He had a pretty good consistent championships and he had one stand out TAC game that I can remember. I thought he would go top 10.

I love Curnow's attributes and potential, I just expect a top 10 pick to produce a little bit more.

Now that I say all this he will probably carve up in the finals making this discussion pointless.

Yeah not sure, I still think De Goey produced more. He had a pretty good consistent championships and he had one stand out TAC game that I can remember. I thought he would go top 10.

I love Curnow's attributes and potential, I just expect a top 10 pick to produce a little bit more.

Now that I say all this he will probably carve up in the finals making this discussion pointless.
Missing the champs through injury probably cost him that opportunity. Has been kicking goals since his return though so he is playing good footy.

The Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple is on the record as saying they're on the hunt for versatile ruck/forward. That player may arrive in the form of Carlton's Matthew Kreuzer as a restricted free agent. The key defensive stocks could also do with some reinforcement and the Dogs have been linked to Jake Carlisle, a player who would cost them at least their first draft pick. The Dogs look set to add a sixth father/son recruit with Northern Knights midfielder Darcy MacPherson likely to land at the Whitten Oval for a late pick. A young, developing ruckman wouldn't go astray either. - Ryan Davidson

First selection: Pick 11-19

Cal Twomey says: The Dogs have spoken about chasing a forward/ruckman, so 200cm Gippsland Power goalkicker Harry McKay would be a frontrunner if he is still on the board at the club's selection. If he's not, his identical twin brother Ben won't be selected too far behind and he kicked four goals on the weekend. None of the pure rucks are good enough to be first-round picks, so although that area of the list needs some depth they won't find it early at November's draft.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-02/your-clubs-draft-needs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many talls this year in the state and national combines. Not many rucks though.
I think it is more to do with lack of great midfielders that there are only talls left to pick from.

I think it is more to do with lack of great midfielders that there are only talls left to pick from.

There are a few good mids it kind of goes down hill quite a bit after they are gone. In saying that a few of these talls have really good traits that will attract attention from clubs. Wouldn't be surprised if we took a punt at developing a player like Trent McMullan or one or both of the Rouse twins as rookies because the reward is huge if we suceed at that.

There are a few good mids it kind of goes down hill quite a bit after they are gone. In saying that a few of these talls have really good traits that will attract attention from clubs. Wouldn't be surprised if we took a punt at developing a player like Trent McMullan or one or both of the Rouse twins as rookies because the reward is huge if we suceed at that.
4 rookie picks might be a good idea this year, as they are year to year contracts and I think if you upgrade a rookie they only need a 1 year deal, while draft picks are a minimum 2 year commitment.

Don't know much at all about the draft, but my mate mentioned Riley Bonner to me and I watched his highlights and had a look at him

What do we think of him? I'm a big fan - dual footed, supposedly elite and creative kicking, and a good size. Sorry if he's already been brought up but he sounds like a decent successor to Bob in a few years

Don't know much at all about the draft, but my mate mentioned Riley Bonner to me and I watched his highlights and had a look at him

What do we think of him? I'm a big fan - dual footed, supposedly elite and creative kicking, and a good size. Sorry if he's already been brought up but he sounds like a decent successor to Bob in a few years

I have him at no11 in my power rankings and he could be him higher if he continues his SANFL form as a midfielder. Really like him and he is a genuine top ten chance given his upside over others at that stage in the draft.

Welcome to the Bonner Bandwagon, I'll be your host.

Do you think Ben McKay has more upside than his brother as he's proven to be effective as a defender but has scope to be a forward/ruck too? Could be a brilliant utility alongside Boyd and Roughy through the key posts.

Do you think Ben McKay has more upside than his brother as he's proven to be effective as a defender but has scope to be a forward/ruck too? Could be a brilliant utility alongside Boyd and Roughy through the key posts.

Harry has played as many positions as Ben in the TAC to be honest both can swing between being forwards and defenders hell H has played on a wing too
In terms of draft hype, does Harry McKay play the role of Kade Kolodjashnij and Ben the role of Jake?

Wouldn't be surprised if both went in the top 20 odd picks to be honest given their height and athletic abilities. I rate them relatively evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back