List Mgmt. 2015 Draft Prospects (Poll Added 31/8/15)

Which player do you want at our first selection?

• Harry McKay

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Kieran Collins

Votes: 40 25.0%
  • Ryan Burton

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Darcy Tucker

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Callum Ah Chee

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Harley Balic

• Riley Bonner

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Other (Specify Below)

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Ben McKay

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Mitch Hibberd

• Daniel Rioli

• Jade Gresham

• Clayton Oliver

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of Weideman but the others all fit our needs. It will be down to how much Bev thinks we need the dual sided skills. Burton is the risk / reward prospect in this draft. IF available, might be too good to pass up.
Someone on the D&T board a while ago was saying that Burton had grown from 191cm too. I'd be happy to take the risk. We've taken high risk high reward options at the last few drafts and it has paid off. Never going to challenge the GWS and Gold Coast lists by being conservative.

Any chance Harry falls to our second? And chance Bonner falls to our second? I want both!
Pretty sure we need to go and get one of them late in the first. Doing that will be either difficult, unpopular or impossible.

Pretty sure we need to go and get one of them late in the first. Doing that will be either difficult, unpopular or impossible.
OK, so just say we finish 8th, have pick 11, and then somehow get pick 18. Who do we pick first out of McKay/Bonner and who do we hope is still around at 18? I feel like we have a better chance of pulling off the double if we go for McKay first, but I want Bonner more. Not sure what I'd do.

OK, so just say we finish 8th, have pick 11, and then somehow get pick 18. Who do we pick first out of McKay/Bonner and who do we hope is still around at 18? I feel like we have a better chance of pulling off the double if we go for McKay first, but I want Bonner more. Not sure what I'd do.
McKay first. Bonner second is my preference. But Wiz would say opposite.

What makes you say that?
I think you like bonner more than McKay. I can see the need for both and as such I go for the forward. Unless the dogs have got someone lined up to come home from a plastic franchise or McStay.

I think you like bonner more than McKay. I can see the need for both and as such I go for the forward. Unless the dogs have got someone lined up to come home from a plastic franchise or McStay.

It depends on how both go towards the end if the year. McKay is a baby so if he continues to improve and show signs then he is going to be my pick it is a hell of a lot harder to find a very good CHF than a very good HBF beyond round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends on how both go towards the end if the year. McKay is a baby so if he continues to improve and show signs then he is going to be my pick it is a hell of a lot harder to find a very good CHF than a very good HBF beyond round 1.
To a degree. I'd argue that it's extremely difficult to find a key position height utility with a superb kick and bucket loads of class outside of the first round as well.

To a degree. I'd argue that it's extremely difficult to find a key position height utility with a superb kick and bucket loads of class outside of the first round as well.

He needs to show he can win his own ball to hold off the late season charge I'm expecting from McKay otherwise I feel our recruiters will look towards players in the second round like Mitchell Hibberd or Brayden Fiorini who have shown at times this year they are capable of winning their own footy and take McKay in the first.

Let's start whipping up a list of first round prospects.

Riley Bonner
+ elite kicking off both feet
+ great vision and decision-making
+ good speed and agility
+ great height
+ fills an important need
- needs to improve defensively
- not much of an inside game

Harry McKay
+ good KPF hard to find late
+ great agility for a tall
+ late birthday means scope for further improvement
+ good below his knees
+ fills an important need
- forward 50 game not amazing yet

This is all just going my what I've read, btw, I don't pretend to be the kind of guy who watches underage games and can pick all this out for myself.

Who else is in the frame? Kieran Collins (solid and dependable but not too exciting), Charlie Curnow (possibly now a proper KPF height by reports, I expect he'd be gone by our pick), Ryan Burton (great prospect but we've probably already got his type in Stringer, right down to the draft year broken leg), Harley Balic (don't know too much but rated around our pick).

I actually don't think an attacking defender is a big need for us. Behind the rotating small/medium-forward/mid, it is probably the position where we have the most depth going forward.

We currently have the best group of attacking defenders in the league. Boyd, Murphy and Wood are all in AA contention. Even after boyd and murphy retire (hopefully not anytime soon), we'll still have wood and jj long term. Then add webb, who looks like a star, and we would only really need one other to come good out of Roarke (who I really rate- in time, I think he'll be like jj, but with a better defensive game), Biggs, Prudden and Darley.

If Bonner is a much better prospect than anyone else, I'd very happily take him, as most of our attacking defenders can play in other positions anyway, but it's far from a need.

I actually don't think an attacking defender is a big need for us. Behind the rotating small/medium-forward/mid, it is probably the position where we have the most depth going forward.

We currently have the best group of attacking defenders in the league. Boyd, Murphy and Wood are all in AA contention. Even after boyd and murphy retire (hopefully not anytime soon), we'll still have wood and jj long term. Then add webb, who looks like a star, and we would only really need one other to come good out of Roarke (who I really rate- in time, I think he'll be like jj, but with a better defensive game), Biggs, Prudden and Darley.

If Bonner is a much better prospect than anyone else, I'd very happily take him, as most of our attacking defenders can play in other positions anyway, but it's far from a need.
I would imagine that Prudden and Darley won't be on the list next year. Perhaps rookie list for one of them but they're running second and third for delist options as it stands in my opinion. Biggs does everything relatively well but we're not yet sure he's AFL quality. Webb is no guarantee to make it as a defender - he played his junior football as a forward/mid and is still learning the role. The one game he played down back without Boyd in the side he was exposed badly on the defensive end. I'm very happy with his progress, but he's got a lot to learn.

Bonner combines height (191-193cm), speed, precision foot skills (particularly over distance) and versatility all wrapped up in a natural attacking defender. Still got a fair way to go, but his acquisition would make me extremely confident in our ability to transition to life without Murphy. As it stands right now, JJ and Webb look like being excellent pieces capable of breaking through forward pressure...but neither look like the consistent, game breaking playmaker that Murphy is.

Regardless of whether he's picked or not, I definitely still think an attacking defender - particularly one with great skills - is a need.

Just a general drafting question, but is it a trend that players who can't win their own ball are often rated lower by club recruiters than those on big footy? Second I recall with Macca that we were big on recruits being able to win their own ball more than most, is this still the case?

Could this mean that someone like Bonner could slip?

Just a general drafting question, but is it a trend that players who can't win their own ball are often rated lower by club recruiters than those on big footy? Second I recall with Macca that we were big on recruits being able to win their own ball more than most, is this still the case?

Not all teams are following that philosophy. Many rate height a huge aspect to the recruit.
Bonner (193cm) is likely late first round unless he develops an intercept rebounding game OR wins more of his own ball.

Just a general drafting question, but is it a trend that players who can't win their own ball often rated lower by club recruiters than those on big footy? Second I recall with Macca that we were big on recruits being able to win their own ball more than most, is this still the case?

Generally yes but Bonner has height and pure skill on his side. He needs to show he can win at least some of his own footy though otherwise we'll go tall.

If he continues to show what he is as a more balanced mid then definitely coming into round 2 contention.
Pretty sure one of the D&T regulars had him as a second rounder in a mock draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back