List Mgmt. 2015 Draft Thread - Pre-Season & Rookie Draft Friday 11:00am AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know why we have a list of 44. 10 of those have just had their careers cut after we signed Rioli

Stupid decision by the club to draft a kid with talent
Every kid accordindng to the drafters has talent as this is why they draft them,but its preparing them physically and mentally to play afl footy.
Nobody on here is doubting his talent.IF every player FJ drafted over 11 yrs with "talent" was a roaring success we'd have a fourpeat by now,but as we know it's not that simple

The problem with some posters is that they genuinely believe they know better than the recruitment team

You can never argue with someone who is certain they are smarter than you, the club and the internet
well spoken on behalf of yourself and thanks for your wonderful contribution.if you had been reading you would have followed the level of discussion and where the debate was at.if the rfc recruitment team were such as competent as you're saying then where are the flags?oh or even a simple finals win?

well spoken on behalf of yourself and thanks for your wonderful contribution.if you had been reading you would have followed the level of discussion and where the debate was at.if the rfc recruitment team were such as competent as you're saying then where are the flags?oh or even a simple finals win?
Hook, line and sinker

Knew you'd bite

Again I don't disagree that development physically, mentally and skillfully are important and if not managed correctly (as in the case of those you mentioned) will end up out of the AFL almost as quickly as they entered it. But I don't believe that development of a player to reach maximum potential and being able to cobtribute prior to talent maximisation are two mutually exclusive areas. Surely you can contribute onfield (regardless of whether a large contribution or small) and still be able to develop.
so this is where we have a difference in opinion.Agree if we manage him to play games against the developing teams like the Saints GWS etc it maybe a help.

Really excited by Rioli. People need to understand that this kid comes from the Tiwi islands and that he has done extremely well to adjust to life in Victoria little own get himself in a position to be drafted and in the end test the best at the combine. In fact he has done a lot better than Cyril who struggled a lot in Melbourne.

I choose to be excited by the fact that he has improved dramatically of late rather than worry about the fact that he doesn't have a glittering junior career like someone such as Mathieson - who clearly doesn't have Rioli's class or fitness.

I also choose to be excited by our list build strategy. We drafted the stars - Cotch, Lids, Riewoldt, Dusty when we were really bad. We drafted solid citizens throughout the GCS and GWS draft domination eras (which has paid off as we have been very close to top 4 consistently), and the last two drafts we have clearly targeted speed/endurance types that will hopefully provide us with the cream/point of difference. With Yarran, Menadue, Rioli, Drummond, Butler, Markov and Deledio we have some serious speed and depth of speed to the extent that we don't need all of them to pay off. A top 4 finish this year and a gun such as a Prestia or OMeara will come our way at seasons end, and when in need the next Maric and the next James Frawley. We have a side capable of sustained success and FAs have consistently chosen to go to such sides.

I'm pretty happy we didn't panic about our KPB stocks and settle for a key back that will struggle to keep up with the new breed of athletic tall forwards. Collins looks really solid but I think his pace will be exposed at the top level where he wont be allowed to just position himself in front and block the run of opposition full backs. There is obviously a reason he slid.

so this is where we have a difference in opinion.Agree if we manage him to play games against tdeveloping teams like the Saints GWS etc it maybe a help.

Yep. Im probably speaking out of tune in comparison to some of the other posts quoting yourself, but I will say that whilst I have a differing opinion, I respect yours and actually enjoyed the argument.

Time will tell obviously. As it will with Collins. Over to Choco and Dimma to develop him to make the team better.

That is why i hate jack reiwoldt. His skill, class and Coleman are the sole reason that Mcbean is not getting a game! Delist jack IMO

Um, your late to the party

A few years ago the brains trust here wanted reiwoldt sacked because he's only ever going to be a half forward flanker, and he's stopping post and goo achieve the greatness they can achieve

Same happened with Richo, apparently he was hogging the ball from Ray hall

Last edited:
It just seems to me that if the club hasn't achieved what you wanted them to achieve or drafted the kids you wanted them to draft then they have failed in your eyes and you s**t on them at every opportunity.
no this is not the case ,but i would love them to prove me wrong more often ;)
Don't blame me for their failures. i just comment on them:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more. You can include Lambert in that draft crop too.

Sorry it was C+ we got.. which was still EQUAL WORST (along with Carlton). Meanwhile apparently a better result was..

Fremantle
Unusually quiet during the trade period, Fremantle chose to focus on their midfield depth at the draft with four players capable of playing through the middle and front half of the ground. The two stand-outs were Lachie Weller and Connor Blakely – both outstanding talents who should become genuine players. Despite not addressing a perceived need by selecting a key-position player, the Dockers’ draft performance was quite positive so expect some good returns in the long-term.
2014 Trade/Draft Period Rating: B-

"Despite not addressing a perceived need by selecting a key-position player" and STILL better than Richmond's result..

spare me.

Who was the campaigner that wrote that? Dont tell me Chris Pelican?

I also agree on the Lambert call, he got better as the year wore on. But no more sub 180cm inside mids please! I think we're at our limit of two there

Last edited:
Having thought about it, I am thinking the 'ho hum' feeling for me with the draft was there really wasn't any available options at our selection that I get the feeling are likely 150 game players. Some of course will be, and I hope Rioli is at the top of that group, but not the same depth of quality as other years.

In addition I think the club just has too much unfinished business that requires us to not only make the finals but to be playing in at least the 2nd, if not 3rd or 4th week and the players picked yesterday and Friday are not likely to be a part of that.

I am however looking on the above as glass half full though as for far too many years the draft was a highlight of my footy year. The optimism that came from picking up 2 or 3 players in the first couple of rounds and what they could add to the team next year. Very happy for the focus to have converted to finals footy.

Let Silvagni, Dodoro and whoever recruits for Melbourne enjoy the November limelight.

Bring on 2016

I really don't like people saying who 'won the draft' etc.

Nobody wins from the draft
a) it is way too early to tell, every single one of the players could be a failure/break legs and get injured etc hardly play

b) Every club is happy with their picks

c) The recruiters know what players they want.

d) At the end of the day, we're people commenting on a bigfooty forum and it's not like any of us (myself included) work for an AFL club and know every single nit picking thing about players.

a) it is way too early to tell, every single one of the players could be a failure/break legs and get injured etc hardly play

d) At the end of the day, we're people commenting on a bigfooty forum and it's not like any of us (myself included) work for an AFL club and know every single nit picking thing about players.

No, but you are allowed an opinion and I have heard its legal in this country.

Would be nice to talk about the players and draftees as opposed to kicking each other in the nuts

The worst sides get the lowest picks
Wow, Blues picked players that should turn out better than Hawthorn's... Knock me over

Reminds me of the 2013 draft, Markov is a good steal but would have been around for our 3rd rounder. Broad could have been a rookie or we pick someone else!

Not a great draft, considering I don't rate Rioli but time will tell.
I agree with your points on both Markov & Broad ( Im not a fan)

Cant believe we and other clubs passed on both Glass-McCasker & Parsons - Really hope we can grab GMcC as a rookie

who cares they were weeds and should never have played without the proper development,but as desperate as we were we were forced to.They still would have probably ended up rubbish ,but getting their bodies right early would have been more beneficial.
Rioli needs to be a work in progress if we are to utilize the maximum potential out of him.
who cares they were weeds and should never have played without the proper development,but as desperate as we were we were forced to.They still would have probably ended up rubbish ,but getting their bodies right early would have been more beneficial.
Rioli needs to be a work in progress if we are to utilize the maximum potential out of him.
ok so go and get a list now of all the players that are not drafted bc of size.we now have 4 examples for the short people.You will find that far more get rejected
not saying he won't make it,but common sense after basic observation tells you he's a massive work in progress.

this line is very funny
You also tend to skip the fact that having a pre season will condition Rioli

Liam McBean says hi.
so just bc we got Rioli it doesn't mean i should agree that he's the right man for the job.it's a bit like saying i should be happy for Moore over Treloar.
two candidates that can do the same role that are Miles :papart
Exactly about Collins so why challenge my point bc you're speculating over Rioli just as i was over KC:rolleyes:.A bit selfish of you imo:)
they still have a long way to go,but will most likely make it.still cannot see how he will be an instant impact running with his physique
could give you examples of the hundreds who don't make it. two to get the wind up you: JON and Fiora
so we now have Yarran added to Sheds plus all of last years picks. arent we over doing it a bit considering Chaplin has been a mess in our last 3 finals and costing us a fortune. Sorry to be blunt (not as bad as you),but think a bit more logical here bro.
BC HE

he has a physique like Aaron Fiora and is a massive work in progress.
yet you contradict yourself by saying Rioli is ready to play a role:)
explain please??

Have not seen so much sh!t come out of 1 person since claw was banned, They way this bloke is going Big Footy is going to lose 1000 richmond football club members

His name says it all Tiger Imposter

Rioli. Hell, he is larger and weighs more then his cousin and he played 23 games in his first year lollol I will return serve with hill and thomas from Norf, both slight of frame but have shown they can handle the pressure. You also tend to skip the fact that having a pre season will condition

Excuse me where did you dig these stats up from?
CYRIL WAS 177CM/74KG WITH POOR SKIN FOLDS according to a site
daniel 179/70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back