List Mgmt. 2015 Draft. Rookie Draft on Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are starting to overrate/overstate Curnow's abilities. Comparing him to Stringer isn't really fair, since the only thing they have in common is their height.

Let's be real here:
- Curnow has never before showed an ability to play midfield (at least recently when it matters). All projections that he'd be able to play in the mids like Roughhead is pure speculation and based on no action physical evidence of him having done it before.
- Curnow has no decent engine. While he could have an engine under the puppy fat (of which there is a decent amount -- his skinnies would be off the charts, in a bad way), that's also speculation.
- Curnow has shown discipline issues in the past in terms of not really wanting it. I've read in a few places that there are question marks over his commitment to actually being an AFL player and wanting to put the work in.

Comparatively, Stringer had shown an ability to play midfield before he broke his leg. He had displayed actual evidence of being able to work in tight and not just as a forward. Stringer's appetite for work has never been questioned. He wants to be the best and his output reflects that. The same cannot be said for Curnow at the same age.

For mine, you aren't picking Curnow in the hopes he becomes Stringer. You're picking him because of his proven track record as an undersized KPF. If he can play midfield later on? Bonus. But with a pick that high (#3), you shouldn't be picking someone up hoping that they can develop and be something. You pick someone who is absolutely elite in their area with proven history demonstrating their ability to expand into another area.

I look at Curnow and all I can see is a Tim Membrey. An undersized forward who has little scope to play elsewhere.

Ohh ouch!

Next. Francis?

Ohh ouch!

Next. Francis?
I think Francis has shown more than Curnow, but again he has shown no ability to play in the midfield. Unlike Curnow, he's actually been deployed in the midfield this year and he's looked lost in congestion and the tight places. He's at his best when the ball is coming at him and he can zone off, much like KK.

Given the other options though, I think Francis is best at our selection. It's not a great draft. Weitering looks like an awesome get, but he's the only one to me who seems like he could be a franchise player. Last year you had Petracca, Heeney, Brayshaw, Cockatoo, Wright... all termed as future game changers in their own way. This year I can't see that in anyone in that same tier aside from Weitering. Just my opinion.

The other option at #3 is Parish, who is no doubt the quintessential Clayton type pick. Lean, no stand-out attributes but seems good at everything. He could find a place in our 22, but I hope the club has strategies in place to keep him happy in QLD. Maybe drafting his best friend in Mathieson. Similar to how we picked teammates Miller and Wright.

I think Francis has shown more than Curnow, but again he has shown no ability to play in the midfield. Unlike Curnow, he's actually been deployed in the midfield this year and he's looked lost in congestion and the tight places. He's at his best when the ball is coming at him and he can zone off, much like KK.

Given the other options though, I think Francis is best at our selection. It's not a great draft. Weitering looks like an awesome get, but he's the only one to me who seems like he could be a franchise player. Last year you had Petracca, Heeney, Brayshaw, Cockatoo, Wright... all termed as future game changers in their own way. This year I can't see that in anyone in that same tier aside from Weitering. Just my opinion.

The other option at #3 is Parish, who is no doubt the quintessential Clayton type pick. Lean, no stand-out attributes but seems good at everything. He could find a place in our 22, but I hope the club has strategies in place to keep him happy in QLD. Maybe drafting his best friend in Mathieson. Similar to how we picked teammates Miller and Wright.
i dont think wright and miller were mates, just played in the same team
touk and saady have taken a real like to each other.
arent they living together?

i dont think wright and miller were mates, just played in the same team
touk and saady have taken a real like to each other.
arent they living together?
Fair enough, but you get my point. Two guys that know each other pretty well and can help each other settle in.

For later picks, it wouldn't surprise me if we picked up players with pretty good leadership skills and reach for those, just to help us off field as well. Snelling for instance, another Captain of his squad like Miller was.

Fair enough, but you get my point. Two guys that know each other pretty well and can help each other settle in.

For later picks, it wouldn't surprise me if we picked up players with pretty good leadership skills and reach for those, just to help us off field as well. Snelling for instance, another Captain of his squad like Miller was.

Look out for Greg Clark from Subiaco was the state 18's captain and colts captain also played a bit of senior footy towards the end of the year and played well maybe a second to early third round he could be picked up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afl future stars.
Tomorrow afternoon.
Curnow on the show.

View attachment 177748
You're pretty keen on this Charlie, right..? :) Not long til we see what some of the top picks have in their bag of tricks.

Can't wait for the draft/trade period!

You're pretty keen on this Charlie, right..? :) Not long til we see what some of the top picks have in their bag of tricks.

Can't wait for the draft/trade period!

I have my moments.. We really lack a mid sized strong marking forward..
But Francis.. Could be anything.. Or could be nothing.. Too small for key back or forward and not suited enough as a mid
Parish could be the best of the lot IF he can put weight on.

Clayton knows what his doing :)

I have my moments.. We really lack a mid sized strong marking forward..
But Francis.. Could be anything.. Or could be nothing.. Too small for key back or forward and not suited enough as a mid
Parish could be the best of the lot IF he can put weight on.

Clayton knows what his doing :)
I didn't mention Parish here but - :p

My 1st impressions were.. Cats - Weitering, Collins, Mathieson. Suns - Schache, Francis, Keays.

What do you Suns fans think that the club should prioritise at the draft?
Insane talent with behaviour and drug problems so we can build they up and then lose them just as they are about to blossom, it's our model

Remove this Banner Ad

Back