2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm warming to the idea of Casboult. Cheaper in terms of picks and probably contract. Strong contested mark which favours our relatively imprecise forward 50 entries. Is that monster forward who could share a forward line with McCarthy when we get him in 2 years via PSD.

I'm warming to the idea of Casboult. Cheaper in terms of picks and probably contract. Strong contested mark which favours our relatively imprecise forward 50 entries. Is that monster forward who could share a forward line with McCarthy when we get him in 2 years via PSD.

Something is better than nothing, as long as that something doesn't have a chronic back or shoulder injury. For all the fuss about his kicking Casboult kicked 24.12 this year (factor in a few OOFs, but even then it's not execrable). It's clearly plan C or D, but hey, Casboult + Bennell would be a decent trade result, even if it would kick us back into the cycle of 'have to lure another KPF via FA or Trade next year'.

Same for me, I reckon Casboult would do really well in our team. Stay at home, big power forward who clunks marks and can chop out in the ruck. He even gives us the option to trade Clarke if we needed some extra currency.

Same for me, I reckon Casboult would do really well in our team. Stay at home, big power forward who clunks marks and can chop out in the ruck. He even gives us the option to trade Clarke if we needed some extra currency.

If GWS go full potato and keep McCarthy (I still think we will get him), then we should Rock the Casbah for a 2nd rounder (2016).

Obvz Dixon is pretty much no chance to come to us. But it's worth trying, stranger things have happened and we are trying to deal with GC with Bennell.

Are you happy to give up 2 first rounders for McCarthy but not Dixon?... And Bennell is worth Weller (if he wants out).

No he isn't.

Bennell has effectively been kicked out of the GCS, Weller is a wanted player at FFC.

Their value is not even remotely similar.

Putting aside hypothetical trade ideas, just the idea of Casboult when we've been speaking for the last couple of weeks about McCarthy is so underwhelming imo. We have been speaking about recruiting a player who could very well turn out to be a gun, with an exciting and bright future we can get legitimately excited about, and now we are talking about possibly getting a player who is widely regarded as a notorious spud.

The AFL still amazes me in that they take ex-players and use them as their negotiators. It is such a big business but they rely mostly on these guys who have competitiveness beaten into them from a young age...no wonder we get such embarrassing results across the board in the AFL. Take this genius for instance:
“We haven’t got a definitive value, but ideally we’d like something in the first round,” Ashcroft said.

Negotiation Rule 1: Don't say more than you have to. If the other person is talking, you are winning the information battle -- Ashcroft voluntarily weakened his position just to seem like a big shot.

Negotiation Rule 2: Don't use the word "ideally"...because that is a clear and known signal that is the best you are hoping for...so thanks! I now know your aspirational objective, which is the one you keep to yourself because if you get it you are laughing.

Negotiation Rule 3: Know your value proposition. Don't say "we haven't got a definitive value"...for instance.

Negotiation Rule 4: Don't pretend like the information that doesn't work for you doesn't exist (e.g. pretending you have not sacked a guy)...it makes you look weak and unintelligent. Instead - lean into it. Yes he has been sacked, but it is in Freo's best interest to get the deal done now...so use that.

Negotiation Rule 5: Focus on your gains, not your losses (i.e. prospect theory). If losses loom larger than gains then you will be overly risk-adverse and give up on opportunities. Good question to ask yourself....which would make you comparatively happier/sadder...finding $10 or losing $10? If you said losing $10 then you are feeling the way Ashcroft is feeling. Hard to negotiate effectively from that outlook.

I was going to post this in the Bennell thread, but that is an absolute cesspool of drivel now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL still amazes me in that they take ex-players and use them as their negotiators. It is such a big business but they rely mostly on these guys who have competitiveness beaten into them from a young age...no wonder we get such embarrassing results across the board in the AFL. Take this genius for instance:
“We haven’t got a definitive value, but ideally we’d like something in the first round,” Ashcroft said.

Negotiation Rule 1: Don't say more than you have to. If the other person is talking, you are winning the information battle -- Ashcroft voluntarily weakened his position just to seem like a big shot.

Negotiation Rule 2: Don't use the word "ideally"...because that is a clear and known signal that is the best you are hoping for...so thanks! I now know your aspirational objective, which is the one you keep to yourself because if you get it you are laughing.

Negotiation Rule 3: Know your value proposition. Don't say "we haven't got a definitive value"...for instance.

Negotiation Rule 4: Don't pretend like the information that doesn't work for you doesn't exist (e.g. pretending you have not sacked a guy)...it makes you look weak and unintelligent. Instead - lean into it. Yes he has been sacked, but it is in Freo's best interest to get the deal done now...so use that.

Negotiation Rule 5: Focus on your gains, not your losses (i.e. prospect theory). If losses loom larger than gains then you will be overly risk-adverse and give up on opportunities. Good question to ask yourself....which would make you comparatively happier/sadder...finding $10 or losing $10? If you said losing $10 then you are feeling the way Ashcroft is feeling. Hard to negotiate effectively from that outlook.

I was going to post this in the Bennell thread, but that is an absolute cesspool of drivel now.

You really have no idea about negotiation do you? :D

I reckon the GC board might appreciate that post :p

Putting aside hypothetical trade ideas, just the idea of Casboult when we've been speaking for the last couple of weeks about McCarthy is so underwhelming imo. We have been speaking about recruiting a player who could very well turn out to be a gun, with an exciting and bright future we can get legitimately excited about, and now we are talking about possibly getting a player who is widely regarded as a notorious spud.

It's like being promised a bottle of Glenfarclas 15yo and getting Johnny Walker Red Label!!!

this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back