2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It's a shame that Crozier hasn't quite filled that role for us as yet and Duffy is just too inconsistent.

I was looking at Skippos draft resource thread the other week and was thinking that Bonner, Burton and Dawson sound like what we need but of course I haven't seen them play live.

Agreed on the draft point. You only get those guys if you draft them.

Crozier is a different player though. Stringer/Darling are KPP bulk with KPP hands AND absolutely elite pace, only they happen to be ~2-3cm shorter than the stereotype and you get weird match up issues because you can play them in addition to your talls due to their pace and agility. Crozier you hope can become a poor or even middle-class man's Mark LeCras (who also took a couple of years to break out). Duffy will be de-listed I reckon.

Is it just me or does the 2015 draft class look pretty lean, especially outside of the top 20? Its not just the U18´s but also the mature age talent. The draft is still so ridiculously compromised with so many "zone" or "father-son" selections inside the top 50 this year. We are going to be fighting against AFL gifted superteams at Sydney and GWS in future.

Anyone know Conor Blakely´s current height? Freo have a history of drafting kids who still have some growth left and given Conor´s brother at Swan Districs is a 195cm ruckman, one may think he is a bit taller now. In fact I seem to recall someone saying they thought Conor seemed as tall as Fyfe or Pav or someone like that.

On another note, Geelong struck gold with Biclavs. Took some time but jeez he is a freak. Can play as a midfielder or tall, 198cm, Olympic level running ability (ran 8:30 for the 3km time trial, 50 secs faster than draft camp record). Bloke got 10 tackles in a half on the weekend, not bad for a ruckman sized player. So versatile. Didn´t even cost them a draft pick.

Rance was considering singing Kumbaya in the hills and Freo still offered him about 4 mil for 5 years and he turned it down for a club as poorly run and periennial shitful as Richmond. We have to draft well and especially draft West Australians. It's a bit like a bad nightclub, you'll never pull anyone if your past history keeps saying no

This draft might be the one to swap picks for players, and instantly have a plug in and play, depends on Elvis, Pavlich, worked for the eagles with Yeo, and is
finally working with Wellingham.
But it is something that needs to be contemplated, swapping picks, players, to instantly improve the list for next year. Unless we ruthlessly target free agency
something needs to be done.

Where are all the big men?

They seem to be disappearing. A look through the lower leagues shows that:
  • In the WAFL, the leading goalkicker is a small forward. Only Michael Lourey, 5th, with 19 goals, can be considered "big". Ricky Cary from Swans is the only other "key forward" in the top 10.
  • In the SANFL, the leading goalkicker is Lachlan McGregor, a small forward. Bryce Retzlaff or Eddy are probably the only "key forwards" in the top 5.
  • In the VFL, the leading goalkicker (non AFL aligned), is Hooper, a midget at just over 170cm.
Maybe the AFL expansion has run the talent pool dry.

Rance was considering singing Kumbaya in the hills and Freo still offered him about 4 mil for 5 years and he turned it down for a club as poorly run and periennial shitful as Richmond. We have to draft well and especially draft West Australians. It's a bit like a bad nightclub, you'll never pull anyone if your past history keeps saying no

:eek:

I'm sure Fyfe could be easily better than Darling or Stringer if he assumed that role.Hooefully Blakely and Weller come on quickly next year.

Did you get to see any of Angus Brayshaws game yesterday?
That kid is going to be a midfield star.
Brayshaw is terrific to watch. Oozes guts and determination.

Where are all the big men?

They seem to be disappearing. A look through the lower leagues shows that:
  • In the WAFL, the leading goalkicker is a small forward. Only Michael Lourey, 5th, with 19 goals, can be considered "big". Ricky Cary from Swans is the only other "key forward" in the top 10.
  • In the SANFL, the leading goalkicker is Lachlan McGregor, a small forward. Bryce Retzlaff or Eddy are probably the only "key forwards" in the top 5.
  • In the VFL, the leading goalkicker (non AFL aligned), is Hooper, a midget at just over 170cm.
Maybe the AFL expansion has run the talent pool dry.
Name a half decent KPF from the state leagues (drafted after the age of twenty) apart from Podsiadly or Crameri (who isn't really a KPP). I'll give you a tip they were never exactly common.

Name a half decent KPF from the state leagues (drafted after the age of twenty) apart from Podsiadly or Crameri (who isn't really a KPP). I'll give you a tip they were never exactly common.

Yes, but the WAFL, SANFL, VFL, has always had quite a few big men running around down forward. Just sayin, there is a real dearth of big men. Same goes for key defenders and ruckman. There is no leading ruckman over 200cm in the WAFL. One of the best performing ruckman, Blakey from Swans, is 195cm whilst Higgins is 191cm (Pavs height!).

You could also say there is a dearth of good ruckman in the U18´s also for the last few years.

Pretty glad we have the four decent ruckman that we have.

Yes, but the WAFL, SANFL, VFL, has always had quite a few big men running around down forward. Just sayin, there is a real dearth of big men. Same goes for key defenders and ruckman. There is no leading ruckman over 200cm in the WAFL. One of the best performing ruckman, Blakey from Swans, is 195cm whilst Higgins is 191cm (Pavs height!).

You could also say there is a dearth of good ruckman in the U18´s also for the last few years.

Pretty glad we have the four decent ruckman that we have.
I've thought that it would be very difficult for a reasonably athletic guy above 200cm not to find a place at an AFL club.

If I were an AFL fan, mid teens lad and knocking on 2m tall I would be getting myself as fit as possible and building some big guns. Big looking, tall and can run? You're in. No more questions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've thought that it would be very difficult for a reasonably athletic guy above 200cm not to find a place at an AFL club.

If I were an AFL fan, mid teens lad and knocking on 2m tall I would be getting myself as fit as possible and building some big guns. Big looking, tall and can run? You're in. No more questions.
You have to be seriously s**t to not get a look in at 196 plus. You don't even have to try that hard in juniors, the sport favours height at all levels and you'll always cruise through being so tall.

I just believe tall guys who have been tall for years are a bit suss. They never have to impose themselves, so they never learn how to be physically and mentally tough. Since Auskick they've won the battle as soon as they run onto the ground. All of a sudden, their opponents are of similar height, and the AFL isn't that easy.

Still, Freo should give thay Saunders bloke from Souths a gig.

I'd love for us to give Saunders a gig but he is a medium size forward at most and I can't see anywhere he would fit into the side. He should be on an AFL list somewhere though.
Even a rookie position would be smart insurance, same height as Mayne, but
10kg heavier. A big mark for his size and kicks goals, how much more improvement
would he have once he is fitter, lost a few pounds?

I'd love for us to give Saunders a gig but he is a medium size forward at most and I can't see anywhere he would fit into the side. He should be on an AFL list somewhere though.

Here's the thing though, we literally have one of those players on our list (tbh I would consider Crozier more a flanker in line with how he plays in WAFL). And for all he contributes, he hasn't really scored the last couple of years.

I have no ******* idea about Saunders, never looked for him. But I reckon one failure of recruitment that we've made so far is not drafting some guys guys who are natural forwards, irrespective of size.

You have to be seriously s**t to not get a look in at 196 plus. You don't even have to try that hard in juniors, the sport favours height at all levels and you'll always cruise through being so tall.

I just believe tall guys who have been tall for years are a bit suss. They never have to impose themselves, so they never learn how to be physically and mentally tough. Since Auskick they've won the battle as soon as they run onto the ground. All of a sudden, their opponents are of similar height, and the AFL isn't that easy.

Which is why it's always such a risk spending a high draft pick on a ruckman.

lol so much this. Blokes that have always been a foot taller than every other kid growing up are notorious for being soft.

Chris might be the best with this one. What does the young Curnow look like as a 'smaller' KPF. 191 and 95kg. That would be bigger than Stringer and around the Darling weight. Should be around our pick by the sounds this draft, Burton would be the other (not as heavy)

I wouldn´t mind if we experimented a bit more with a few talls on rookie lists.

There are a few huge Sudanese guys running around who took the game up late, for Queensland I think. Look like great athletes. Chuck them a low cost contract and take a patient approach with them. Maybe another tall Irish guy.

As mentioned above, the game is made for big guys, which is why guys like Pyke, Sentanta O´Halpin, Tippett, Brogan etc an make the jump. Most of those guys are ruckman, but its not a bad strategy to have a few young ruckman developing on your rookie list given the paucity of ruckman in the lower leagues. At the worst, they could become good trade bait down the track.

Prerequisite though in taking on one of these long shot tall guys, is that they must be committed and prepared to work as hard as guys like Pyke have.

I wouldn´t mind if we experimented a bit more with a few talls on rookie lists.

There are a few huge Sudanese guys running around who took the game up late, for Queensland I think. Look like great athletes. Chuck them a low cost contract and take a patient approach with them. Maybe another tall Irish guy.

As mentioned above, the game is made for big guys, which is why guys like Pyke, Sentanta O´Halpin, Tippett, Brogan etc an make the jump. Most of those guys are ruckman, but its not a bad strategy to have a few young ruckman developing on your rookie list given the paucity of ruckman in the lower leagues. At the worst, they could become good trade bait down the track.

Prerequisite though in taking on one of these long shot tall guys, is that they must be committed and prepared to work as hard as guys like Pyke have.

Hurley ,Moller and Smith all fit that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back