2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My serious thoughts on trades this year are that if we trade Clarke out we will suffer for it even with someone as good as Luenberger potentially replacing him. However, if he wants to go, then there's not much to be done except bite the bullet. I think the best trade target for Fremantle using Clarke is Dixon. They are both in the same league ability/talent wise and Dixon would fill Clarke's (current, not future) position. Freo might need to offer a pick in this deal but I would hope it is a third rounder at the earliest.
The next best target with Clarke would be McCarthy IMO, where Freo would probably need to include a better pick to have any chance of getting it done. Given McCarthy doesn't ruck, it would mean acquiring Luenberger (or similar) becomes essential to the viability of this option. I am concerned that McCarthy won't have the same impact if he plays as the primary key forward, so acquiring Dixon would still be on the agenda in this scenario. Lastly, I would offer Neale and our first rounder for Hogan but I don't think it would be enough. Can't hurt to ask though lol. If they took it, I would then throw the kitchen sink at Dangerfield.

I am glad that some of the stuff I read on here that none of us are in the recruiting team , we be be bloody tall with not a lot of atheism. Lol :cool::D but still all good fun and the passion is sensational.:p

Yep, Leuenberger (FA signing), plus offer up Clarke + Draft pick for McCarthy. I would be surprised if we didn´t ask the question. Its a matter of weather, Zac, being uncontracted, instead demands a trade to a Vic club.

GWS desperately need another ruckman.

With Moller seemingly having had the light go on in his head as to what is required at this level and getting results, we appear to have a good up and coming replacement for Clarke. Leuey can also offer strong support for Sandi in the meantime. WA boy. Fits with Bondy´s strategy of targeting WA boys.

Not having a go at Clarke here, I love him and think he could be a star as the No 1 ruckman. But we need to offer something of value to get McCarthy who is under contract.

I know that there is a lot of desire for McCarthy and Hogan but the reality is that neither of them are on the cards for this off season unless there is some really creative trading. IMO trading to get either to break their existing contracts will be more than slightly expensive. Certainly in the place of Melb or GWS the kitchen sink would not be enough for a player with 2 years left on a contract.
When it comes to Dixon, well played to the list managers for GC. His contract is up and he is only a FA next year. So they have all the power. In their shoes I would be asking for plenty at the trade table and if he grumbles about it tell him the alternatives are a long contract for good money or very little for a year extension. Can't see GC loosing here particularly as there are not a lot of talls without contracts this year.

I know that there is a lot of desire for McCarthy and Hogan but the reality is that neither of them are on the cards for this off season unless there is some really creative trading. IMO trading to get either to break their existing contracts will be more than slightly expensive. Certainly in the place of Melb or GWS the kitchen sink would not be enough for a player with 2 years left on a contract.
When it comes to Dixon, well played to the list managers for GC. His contract is up and he is only a FA next year. So they have all the power. In their shoes I would be asking for plenty at the trade table and if he grumbles about it tell him the alternatives are a long contract for good money or very little for a year extension. Can't see GC loosing here particularly as there are not a lot of talls without contracts this year.

It depends if there is a need. Clearly GWS have a need for a ruckman also. Mumford is injury prone and starting to get on a bit. Then they have Downie. Serviceable, but Clarke is a massive upgrade on him and Lobb.

GWS has been significantly poorer without Mumford in there. Against North a few weeks ago they got absolutely smashed in the clearances. Goldstein had 80 hitouts to Lobbs paltry 10. North won the clearances 58 to 30!! Clearly their rucks are a massive worry.

Are GWS throwing away their future by trading away McCarthy? They also have Patton to come back and already have Cameron locked up. They may also want to trade now rather than wait until next year when he is OOC.

Yep, Leuenberger (FA signing), plus offer up Clarke + Draft pick for McCarthy. I would be surprised if we didn´t ask the question. Its a matter of weather, Zac, being uncontracted, instead demands a trade to a Vic club.

GWS desperately need another ruckman.

With Moller seemingly having had the light go on in his head as to what is required at this level and getting results, we appear to have a good up and coming replacement for Clarke. Leuey can also offer strong support for Sandi in the meantime. WA boy. Fits with Bondy´s strategy of targeting WA boys.

Not having a go at Clarke here, I love him and think he could be a star as the No 1 ruckman. But we need to offer something of value to get McCarthy who is under contract.

If Clarke went to gws for the a straight swap for McCarthy not certain need for Luenburger, you would have Sandi, Griiff, lurch, big Jack, plus ape if he does not work straight out as a forward. Get McCarthy and the next best KPF in the draft & we would be set up in all positions and have a very balanced list. I would also seriously look at keeping Tanner & Ballard think both got lot to offer.

This has probably already been mentioned but regardless of acquiring another KPF we have the squad now to implement change.

McCarthy is the same height as Fyfe.

I understand he has been a brilliant midfielder and pinch hit forward but we have a few mids coming through the ranks.

Fyfe could be one of the greatest CHF of all time.

They said the acquisition of Sylvia was in order to possibly do this, well Neale's development plus some youngsters in Weller and Blakely looking the goods gives us this option.

The only reason it hasn't occurred is because Fyfe is tearing the competition a new one playing where he does, but perhaps this is the obvious change required.

I read a stat (could be wrong with exact details) but Fyfe has kicked 15 goals but spends 12% game time as a forward. Yowsers if he spends geater periods up there.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul but think we can cover Fyfe a bit better then trying to look for a Pav replacement.

This has probably already been mentioned but regardless of acquiring another KPF we have the squad now to implement change.

McCarthy is the same height as Fyfe.

I understand he has been a brilliant midfielder and pinch hit forward but we have a few mids coming through the ranks.

Fyfe could be one of the greatest CHF of all time.

They said the acquisition of Sylvia was in order to possibly do this, well Neale's development plus some youngsters in Weller and Blakely looking the goods gives us this option.

The only reason it hasn't occurred is because Fyfe is tearing the competition a new one playing where he does, but perhaps this is the obvious change required.

I read a stat (could be wrong with exact details) but Fyfe has kicked 15 goals but spends 12% game time as a forward. Yowsers if he spends geater periods up there.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul but think we can cover Fyfe a bit better then trying to look for a Pav replacement.

McCarthy is listed (footywire)as 193cm,Fyfe is listed as 190cm.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is a touch taller than that now.

I read a stat (could be wrong with exact details) but Fyfe has kicked 15 goals but spends 12% game time as a forward. Yowsers if he spends geater periods up there./QUOTE]

Doesn't get one of the best 2 or even possibly 3 defenders when he goes forward. If he played there more often he would get better defenders and his goal output would most likely drop.

My concern with Mcarthy is that he may be the type of player that isn't capable of being the prime KF target in a team. Is he looking good now because he is Cameron's offsider?
Don't get me wrong he is good but is he a true Pav replacement? Not an exact replacement but a prime target replacement.

Although with the way teams play theses days, having multiple forward options, he may not need to be the prime key target. Just don't want to pay or trade for a prime KF and only get a 2nd KF at best.

Agree with that would still like him in Purple but seems to get alot of his goals from turnovers and crumbs like dare I say it Walters. Dixon does seem more your pack splitting full forward type and good kick as well any chance of both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS may also need to trade in order to increase its "currency" under the new bidding system in order to secure Hopper and Kennedy from their Academy (its ridiculous how compromised the draft still is!).

Under my understanding of the new bidding system, Sydney would of needed to have used all of their picks last year in order to meet the points allocated to Heeney after Melbourne bid for him with Pick 2 (Sydney´s pick 18 would only have satisfied half the points for Heeney so they would of needed to chuck in their other picks to meet the points). If GWS want to pick up both kids, who are rated highly and expected to be top 15 picks. They may need another pick in the first round.

Hopper and Kennedy though are mids. GWS have a tonne of them. As pointed out above, they do need a good ruckman desperately.

So either Zac Clarke plus our first for McCarthy? Maybe we need something else thrown back our way too.

Or: if GWS wants to bring in two GWS Academy boys (I am certain they will in order to solidify their links in the West etc), then our first pick plus Moller for Coniglio (they have too many mids as it is and Moller grew up in GWS)?

I would be happy with both outcomes.

As for McCarthy not being a Pav type forward. Not sure why some think that. He is taller than Pav and is quite an aggressive lad, very versatile and athletic and would offer greater around the ground/defensive pressure than Dixon. He also isn´t injury prone like Dixon.

This whole "pack marking" requirement is a bit of a furphy anyway. How many pack marks does Pav take? How many of Dixon´s 7 goals came from pack marks on the weekend? Cameron is not a pack busting forward, nor is Franklin. The best key forwards take only 1 to 2 contested marks per game (Franklin takes less than 1). Zac Clarke prior to being dropped was top 12 in the AFL for contested marks - didn´t make him a great forward though. What is more important is a forward who is a natural goal kicker and can manufacture goals from a variety of positions and sources. McCarthy has 29 this year. Pavlich has 24.

I would be happy with Dixon or McCarthy though.

Also think our midfield would look decidedly ordinary if Fyfe is taken out of it. Although if Option 2 above (Coniglio) transpires, we would probably all be more open to it.

Freo obviously have a bit of a war chest, need to throw it all at anyone who would be beneficial. Even if it is overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back