Status
Not open for further replies.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could be a good fit until Hogan/McCarthy come off contract and Apeness comes of age.
I still believe we are a chance for the flag next year, regardless what happens this year. We have salary space, and a midfield that has more upside.
We have also seen injuries to Johnson, Dawson, Silva, giving A Pearce games, and he looks like a rising star.
less injuries to the above, and the backline will still be very strong, leaving the focus on finding forwards.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
I still believe we are a chance for the flag next year, regardless what happens this year. We have salary space, and a midfield that has more upside.
We have also seen injuries to Johnson, Dawson, Silva, giving A Pearce games, and he looks like a rising star.
less injuries to the above, and the backline will still be very strong, leaving the focus on finding forwards.
Agreed. Pinching Port's big man won't help them either.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeah I get that but 12% time forward for 15 goals! Even if he spent 60% forward he could be a 50 goal plus forward easy.

What I'm saying is we have quality depth in our midfield but no KPF. He could be more then an serviceable forward and his replacement in the midfield could equally be more then serviceable.

The question is about balance of numbers. His numbers are outstanding but hypothetically even putting Weller into the midfield you would lose around 15 possessions a game in a direct swap. Obviously you'd hope and expect Mundy, Barlow etc pick up more disposals.

Now direct swap Fyfe for Taberner or even Fyfe for Pav and Freo could get their extra 2 goals a game right there.

It's worth considering. I think its a better option then everyone suggesting to trade our depth mids, which will hold little currency anyway.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's everyone's thoughts on Pav going around again should Freo secure another worthy partner up forward i.e. Dixon, Shulz... umm and whoever else is left?

Surely he can't go around again as the #1 forward with daylight between him and #2.

Having said that, if Freo win the flag I reckon that'll be him done anyway and deservedly so too.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's everyone's thoughts on Pav going around again should Freo secure another worthy partner up forward i.e. Dixon, Shulz... umm and whoever else is left?

Surely he can't go around again as the #1 forward with daylight between him and #2.

Having said that, if Freo win the flag I reckon that'll be him done anyway and deservedly so too.
Personally reckon he should call time at the end of this year regardless. He's been getting a few too many head knocks lately and I think he has given the club enough.
He could go around again no doubt but I'd like to see him pass the torch in good health and with no regrets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I would think football is more enjoyable for Pav than at any other time in his long career. As long he stays healthy and fit, why shouldn't he continue?

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he can only continue if he becomes our second or third option, like an Adam Goodes type role where the others can carry him a bit.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Pav will make a decision when he sees what we do in the off-season I believe. I don't think we can get better unless we get him genuine support and/or a double threat up forward.

Reasons I want Jay Schulz:

1) He's a proven KPF,
2) He's a straight kick on goal,
3) If he stinks I get to wear my monocle and shake my fist at him.

You know nothing, Jay Schulz.

Or am I mixing up my TV shows?
The very same.

Now if only we could recruit somebody named Gilligan...

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
GWS may also need to trade in order to increase its "currency" under the new bidding system in order to secure Hopper and Kennedy from their Academy (its ridiculous how compromised the draft still is!).

Under my understanding of the new bidding system, Sydney would of needed to have used all of their picks last year in order to meet the points allocated to Heeney after Melbourne bid for him with Pick 2 (Sydney´s pick 18 would only have satisfied half the points for Heeney so they would of needed to chuck in their other picks to meet the points). If GWS want to pick up both kids, who are rated highly and expected to be top 15 picks. They may need another pick in the first round.

Hopper and Kennedy though are mids. GWS have a tonne of them. As pointed out above, they do need a good ruckman desperately.

So either Zac Clarke plus our first for McCarthy? Maybe we need something else thrown back our way too.

Or: if GWS wants to bring in two GWS Academy boys (I am certain they will in order to solidify their links in the West etc), then our first pick plus Moller for Coniglio (they have too many mids as it is and Moller grew up in GWS)?

I would be happy with both outcomes.

As for McCarthy not being a Pav type forward. Not sure why some think that. He is taller than Pav and is quite an aggressive lad, very versatile and athletic and would offer greater around the ground/defensive pressure than Dixon. He also isn´t injury prone like Dixon.

This whole "pack marking" requirement is a bit of a furphy anyway. How many pack marks does Pav take? How many of Dixon´s 7 goals came from pack marks on the weekend? Cameron is not a pack busting forward, nor is Franklin. The best key forwards take only 1 to 2 contested marks per game (Franklin takes less than 1). Zac Clarke prior to being dropped was top 12 in the AFL for contested marks - didn´t make him a great forward though. What is more important is a forward who is a natural goal kicker and can manufacture goals from a variety of positions and sources. McCarthy has 29 this year. Pavlich has 24.

I would be happy with Dixon or McCarthy though.

Also think our midfield would look decidedly ordinary if Fyfe is taken out of it. Although if Option 2 above (Coniglio) transpires, we would probably all be more open to it.
So we get a forward that we desperately need, a midfielder that would be a depth player really, and we have no ruckman for the next 10 years? Not sure that's a great idea as desperately as I want McCarthy in Purple

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that Zac is clearly the no. 2 ruck for us at the moment but if he goes do I think we are ok for ruck's for the next few years. Umm Sandi, Griff, Hannath and Moller, yep we're good.
Would I trade ZC for McCarthy? yep though I am sure that there would be sweeteners needed (Established AFL player vs potential). Shultz as a FA, sweet. I would anticipate that we will also want to use picks in R1 and R2 for live picks but we also need to either upgrade or delist Moller. I assume upgrade.

Consequently we need to vacate 4 slots on the main list.
  • Sylvia = 1
  • Mora = I am unsure about, I kind of what him to recover and do well for us but I am not sure how realistic this is any more.
  • Short of retirements I don't have any others that spring to mind.
  • Would you trade some of the lesser know lights for pick up grades.
Still not sure that GWS would want to trade.

chinggis77

Club Legend
May 14, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
So we get a forward that we desperately need, a midfielder that would be a depth player really, and we have no ruckman for the next 10 years? Not sure that's a great idea as desperately as I want McCarthy in Purple

Thats not what I said. Clarke + Pick for McCarthy OR Pick plus Moller for Coniglio (boost midfield and swing Fyfe forward). Not both of them.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back