2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weller not quick enough for you?
Weller is quick.
I should have been clearer in what sort of player we should be looking for .
Simpson was not only fast but also evasive and damaging , he was also a very good kick . There is a difference between just a fast runner and someone that can accelerate into space and side step through traffic ,then deliver a lace out pass . That is what we saw Simpson do . Ah Chee and Petrevski have that ability IMHO.

Weller is quick.
Simpson was not only fast but also evasive and damaging , he was also a very good kick . There is a difference between just a fast runner and someone that can accelerate into space and side step through traffic ,then deliver a lace out pass . That is what we saw Simpson do . Ah Chee and Petrevski have that ability IMHO.
Again, Weller not good enough for you? His write-ups pre-draft noted his speed (2.92 20m), elite kicking ability, evasiveness through traffic and generally being a smooth mover while acknowledging he is more outside. In his debut you could see his preference to run and carry.

I think we took Weller *because* we lost Simpson, and we need a legitimate backup to our danger players in Hill/Pearce. If it wasn't for that, perhaps we may have taken a tall first pick last draft, or perhaps not. Who knows.

We've had a tendency to recruit scrawny players with high potential (Fyfe, Pitt, Crozier, Weller, Sheridan, Simpson, Moller) ahead of developed AFL-ready players. We probably aim for where we see them being at their peak, 5 years in - rather than ability for immediate impact at AFL level

Tom Lynch looking to move from Adelaide. I have always thought he would be perfect for Freo. He is a fast and nimble KPF who has excellent skills and kicks goals.

Melb speculated to be throwing 1.7m over 4 years at him though.

Weller is quick.
We have plenty of pace in the squad, its just that Lyon will not play them, do to our ladder position
this year. He has spoken before about developing players if we had dropped away.
It is a double edged sword, but if we do not make the GF, I would think that his loyalty, attitude will
change, and the only way to improve is to cut the list and enforce a mini rebuild.
Off the field a change of coaching staff would also benefit our style of football. A Lyon, Clarkson
hybrid game plan would be ideal.
First priority is to improve our forward line, this is our weakest link, there are plenty of key position
players linked in this thread, we just have to make it happen.

Tom Lynch looking to move from Adelaide. I have always thought he would be perfect for Freo. He is a fast and nimble KPF who has excellent skills and kicks goals.

Hopefully cos they know Hogan is coming home to us sooner rather than later... ;)

I'd go for Lynch. I think we can outbid Melbourne comfortably.

Melbourne are chasing him but I don't believe Lynch has stated he wants to leave Adelaide though.

Hopefully cos they know Hogan is coming home to us sooner rather than later... ;)

I'd go for Lynch. I think we can outbid Melbourne comfortably.
They must know that Howe is gone and they need that third tall behind Hogan and Dawes. They aren't losing Hogan anytime soon, I think the only chance is if the Demons are just as woeful next year and Hogan says that he has had enough and wants out.

They must know that Howe is gone and they need that third tall behind Hogan and Dawes. They aren't losing Hogan anytime soon, I think the only chance is if the Demons are just as woeful next year and Hogan says that he has had enough and wants out.
Agree - just chucking out the same line most around here use. Borne from extreme wishful thinking.

All of Melbourne's good first round draft picks have left (scully, frawley) since Nathan Jones. So I think the trend should continue. Hogan to Freo. Make it happen :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne are chasing him but I don't believe Lynch has stated he wants to leave Adelaide though.

Apparently he has knocked back offers from Adelaide, whether that's because they're not good enough or he wants to leave I dont know.

But seriously, who in their right mind would want to play for Melbourne?!

Apparently he has knocked back offers from Adelaide, whether that's because they're not good enough or he wants to leave I dont know.

But seriously, who in their right mind would want to play for Melbourne?!
It's the risk of bringing in Victorians via trade, they might decide that once their career has been rescued it is time to head back home.

Would consider trading Weller to Melbourne plus our first for Hogan. Or even a three way deal with StKilder.
The Lynch example would be if Hogan was a Melbourne boy, not a WA player coming home.

Lets wait and see what happens this off-season.

Great news. He might not be setting the world on fire right now but the guy has much potential. He'll get much better over time and will be a future leader of the club IMO.

It'll be great to keep him but geez how long do we have to wait for the potential? He's been in the system for long enough now to be showing more than he has. It's been a disappointing year for him after a strong finish to last year and a good pre-season.

Maybe the contract negotiations were putting him off his game? Let's hope so.

Was expecting Sheridan to sign way before Crozier. Very little made of Sheridan despite him being on track to play 20+ games in a side that is currently on top of the ladder. Almost seems like the media has just assumed he's going to re-sign. I'm hoping they both re-sign very soon. The longer it waits, the less likely it to happen.

It'll be great to keep him but geez how long do we have to wait for the potential? He's been in the system for long enough now to be showing more than he has. It's been a disappointing year for him after a strong finish to last year and a good pre-season.

Maybe the contract negotiations were putting him off his game? Let's hope so.

He's 21yrs old. Five years always from what everyone says is peak age.

Great news! Good on ya Croz - hopefully he'll now relax and play some really good footy. Off the HFF, using his pace and agilty to kick long bombs from the 50 that sail through the middle post high. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back