2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the box thinking...

Matty Kreuzer is a free agent at years end. Signing him could allow use of Clarke as trade bait.

Howe and Tom Lynch are interesting prospects. Would love to see them here.

Kreuzer is an absolute gun when fully fit, unfortunately that's once in a blue moon. He's fit right now but unfortunately it's a matter of time until he breaks down again imo. Tom Lynch definitely interests me, have to say he's more appealing (footy wise) than some of the other names thrown up recently.

I like Howe as a winger or high half forward. Bit on the soft side and can get badly exposed defensively; not sure why Roos persists with him in the backline.

Does anyone want Tom Lee at the Saints? 194 cm Forward and From WA. Saints want Weller for him! We can get him with our 3rd rounder. Turns 25 on January.
I vaguely remember a few years ago when a few people on BF went ape s**t because we didn't draft local forward Tom Lee. When was the last time he even played a game?

I vaguely remember a few years ago when a few people on BF went ape s**t because we didn't draft local forward Tom Lee. When was the last time he even played a game?

Apparently he played against us a couple weeks back. Honestly can't remember seeing him so I'm a little doubtful. Wouldn't be much chop at Freo unless it was a preseason scratchie opposed to Dawson.

Out of the box thinking...

Matty Kreuzer is a free agent at years end. Signing him could allow use of Clarke as trade bait.

Howe and Tom Lynch are interesting prospects. Would love to see them here.

Matty Leunberger is more likely. WA boy and all. Free agent. Brisbane want him to go so they can get a compo pick.

Zac Clarke is probably worth less than that Sinclair at WC, who has been performing well. Lycett would attract more than Clarke now also.

I loved Lyon in the first year or two. He saved careers, players flourished under him. But we have had very few come on since then, not for a lack of talent in the list, but because of a lack of flexibility in Ross´s grand plan. The lack of exposure of our other players/young players and/or playing some out of position (Zac is a ruckman not a forward) means their trade value is negligible.

That said, 2015 is also a very good year for us injury wise. Which has also contributed to a lack of time for other players.

What would you say about the top 4 teams not being able to sign free agents for that off-season?

Too harsh? I'm not sure what can be done about the 'destination clubs' sistuation.
Yes it's a tough one. Maybe a quota of players over a rolling period will restrict the same club picking up the cream every year. Only being able to pick up X amount of free agents over 4 years perhaps.

Or something like free agency ranking where each free agent is ranked each offseason and this contributes towards a points system over a number of years. Clubs cannot exceed a set number of points over this rolling period. At least this will stop clubs like the Hawks cherry picking the best free agent every off season.

Not sure the AFLPA will be on board with that though as after all they are all about freedom of movement around the league.

Apparently he played against us a couple weeks back. Honestly can't remember seeing him so I'm a little doubtful. Wouldn't be much chop at Freo unless it was a preseason scratchie opposed to Dawson.
He's not listed in the stats from that game so no, he didn't play against us.

Geelong will have a nice little boost for next year! Add Dangerfield and Selwood and they jump up a few places while making their home ground advantage stronger.

Kreuzer is an absolute gun when fully fit, unfortunately that's once in a blue moon. He's fit right now but unfortunately it's a matter of time until he breaks down again imo. Tom Lynch definitely interests me, have to say he's more appealing (footy wise) than some of the other names thrown up recently.

I like Howe as a winger or high half forward. Bit on the soft side and can get badly exposed defensively; not sure why Roos persists with him in the backline.

Do you think we'd be able to bring those two in over the summer? I think they'd dramatically improve our squad.

Your idea has merit but under your ruling Fremante wouldn't qualify to recruit Hogan or anyone on free agency .
A better idea would be that if a top 4 team wanted to recruit free agency qualified player they would have to give the other team a player of similar quality ,in other words an example would be if Hawthorn wants Dangerfield then they would have to be willing to give Adelaide say Langford or Hartung or Shields .
For us to get Hogan we would have to offer Melbourne Hill ,Neale or Son Son . That would mean top 4 teams would have to seriously think about how much they would be willing to use the free agency and not keep stealing quality players from bottom teams . This IMHO would give bottom teams the ability to hold onto their best players or at least get some value if they loose their best player .
I think that's just called trading... To go along with your idea though who's to say what kind of player a dangerfield is worth? If its Adelaide's decision they'll ask for the very best player and the team trying to get dangerfield will say no. This just sounds like trade period every year.

Do you think we'd be able to bring those two in over the summer? I think they'd dramatically improve our squad.
Sounds coming out of Carlton suggest he's staying put. Just another media beat up.

If Luenburger and Kreuzer swapped clubs on $600,000 a year for four year deals the clubs would still have their ruckman and also get pick #2 and #4 for it.

Brisbane pick #1, #2, Carlton pick #3, #4

That would be one hell of a deal.

No, if you sign a free agent it does affect your free agency compensation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping we pull a Sydney and somehow sign Dangerfield. Could you imagine the Fyfe & Danger show. Froth...
I know, wishful thinking.

Interesting GC are struggling to sign all of Dixon, Thompson & Hall.
Really hope we can land Dixon. Reckon Pav would go again if we did.

I'm hoping we pull a Sydney and somehow sign Dangerfield. Could you imagine the Fyfe & Danger show. Froth...

Interesting GC are struggling to sign all of Dixon, Thompson & Hall.
Really hope we can land Dixon. Reckon Pav would go again if we did.

I'd rather get Shulz through FA and conserve our dollars so we can make Hogan the AFLs first $2,000,000.00 man.

I've been thinking of that a bit.
There's not much I wouldn't do to make that happen. There's extra salary cap coming on.
5 years on 1.2 mill? we could do that
Luke would definitely be gone...mid range players who I see no future in would be gone to create cap space and replaced with draftees.
He'd actually give us the freedom to be bold with drafting talls.

And Bradey's head would explode

Does anyone want Tom Lee at the Saints? 194 cm Forward and From WA. Saints want Weller for him! We can get him with our 3rd rounder. Turns 25 on January.
I would rather give Marcus Adams a chance, someone who can play forward or back, has upside and
is already built like a tank, and plays that way. Even Tabs has shown more than Lee.

I loved Lyon in the first year or two. He saved careers, players flourished under him. But we have had very few come on since then, not for a lack of talent in the list, but because of a lack of flexibility in Ross´s grand plan. The lack of exposure of our other players/young players and/or playing some out of position (Zac is a ruckman not a forward) means their trade value is negligible.
Every good coach in the AFL wants flexibility out of their players. Clarke doesn't have it unfortunately and he's playing behind a first-choice ruckman. This has nothing to do with Ross' lack of flexibility. Every team requires their second ruckman to be a forward first these days, if anything he was ahead of the curve.

Should of rookied Adams last draft. Well worth a spot. You watch, some other club will pick him up before us

Having watched him develop at West Perth over the last few years, I can definitely say that he is worth a shot. Incredibly powerful and strong, but pretty handy at ground level. He has also improved his endurance and can play forward or back. The West wrote an article a few weeks back saying he was a possible first round draft pick. I think that's a little unrealistic, but he would be well worth a punt if he is still available with our second pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back