Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Which Cats players do you have your eye on for starting in your team in Round 1 or picking up half way during the year?

For both Dreamteam or Supercoach.

You would expect cowan, vardy, Clark, menzel all to be Min priced. Even smedts could be good value. I'd take that list and then find a table that shows points per minute from the nab cup. Jj the peoples champ should also get a price drop to Min since not playing last year.
I'd also be looking hard at caddy, especially if he is a 400k fwd mid next year.

If Clark gets thru the preseason and is named round one you would lock him in as a forward line rookie.

The skipper is always a good pick. What you see is what you get.

Will not be picking SJ this year. I can't see him not getting suspended for stupid stuff each time we play Freo.

If Guthrie is released to play an attacking role, he will definitely be one to watch.

If Clark gets thru the preseason and is named round one you would lock him in as a forward line rookie.

The skipper is always a good pick. What you see is what you get.

Will not be picking SJ this year. I can't see him not getting suspended for stupid stuff each time we play Freo.

If Guthrie is released to play an attacking role, he will definitely be one to watch.
What price would you expect Clark to start at Adam?
Your SJ comment made me lol
I always pick Selwood (+ Ablett) first.
The obvious ones to me -
Bartel
Caddy
Duncan
Guthrie
Hawkins
Motlop

Would also choose -
Bews (hope he gets games in 2015)
Hartman (hope he gets games in 2015)
Rivers
Stokes

However, all of those players would overload my fantasy team with Geelong players.

What price would you expect Clark to start at Adam?
Your SJ comment made me lol
I always pick Selwood (+ Ablett) first.
The obvious ones to me -
Bartel
Caddy
Duncan
Guthrie
Hawkins
Motlop

Would also choose -
Bews (hope he gets games in 2015)
Hartman (hope he gets games in 2015)
Rivers
Stokes

However, all of those players would overload my fantasy team with Geelong players.

Clark SHOULD start at rookie price. But we shall see I guess.
I think all eyes will be on Ablett to see how this injury will limit him. It was quite significant by all reports.
Sel is always a lock. Stokes is a good pick too for point of difference.
Duncan would be my pick over Caddy, Motlop, Guthrie, but as I said if Guthrie can be released to attack I will take him in a heartbeat.
Jimmy has been a fantasy gun for years but I think you will see reduced scores from here on in.
Hawkins would be an ok pick if Clark is fit and firing.

• Banned
You would expect cowan, vardy, Clark, menzel all to be Min priced. Even smedts could be good value. I'd take that list and then find a table that shows points per minute from the nab cup. Jj the peoples champ should also get a price drop to Min since not playing last year.
I'd also be looking hard at caddy, especially if he is a 400k fwd mid next year.

In terms of rookies, I sure do like Clark in the Forward line probably as a F5 or F6 considering he was under $300,000 last year he should be close to, if not under, the $200,000 mark this year (In SC as that is what I play).

Mostly with the rookies & younger players you just got to wait to see how their pre-season goes & how they go and are used in NAB Challenge games.

Not including the more experienced ones (Selwood, Stevie J, Enright, etc), the Geelong prospects I'm most excited by (un-injured) are:

Kersten - Has good pre-season, plays in our FWD line as F3 during NAB Challenge, scores alright, will be cheap enough to get as a F5.
Motlop - After a few quiet weeks coming back he scored very well for a stretch there before tiring again. If he has full pre-season I a very excited about Motlop having much bigger fitness and running out games better in the midfield plus he kicks goals too!
Guthrie - If he doesn't tag, AT ALL, during the NAB Challenge then I will definitely jump on as he racks up good points when playing in the midfield and not tagging (E.g. Round 22 vs Hawks).
Caddy - Finished off the year on fire! Sadly his price will be higher next year because of the great finish this season. If he is still a DPP Mid/Fwd I will be buying as a Forward, otherwide Caddy might be able to squeeze into my midfield as a pure midfielder but we shall see.
Lang - Will still be super cheap after only a half of footy in 2014. If he plays all 3 NAB Challenge matches and scores well enough I will be getting him probably on midfield bench or M8.
Jansen - Well where do I start :p No AFL at all in 2014, was only $117,000 this year so should be even cheaper or around that price. Just like Lang if JJ plays the NAB Challenge and shows enough scoring potential will most likely be getting him on MID bench.
Duncan - Just gets better and better each year. Sadly I have never got him as there are higher scoring players around his price though Duncan has shown he is very consistent. See how he goes NAB Challenge before making a call.
Thurlow - Will definitely play more games in 2015, at least 15 I would think, and without being SUB in them like this year and playing across the Wing & half back he should rack up some points nicely & at his price it would be a good pick-up if he is DPP as a D4-5 or M6-7.

The returning from injury Geelong players I'm excited by are:

Menzel - Will play NAB Challenge, won't play AFL until Round 5 most likely, won't score heaps high as a forward either. Is definitely cheap enough to get on bench as a forward but there are better options, might still get him out of personal love :D
Vardy - Could be a unique option as a R3 or F4 option, won't score heaps high I wouldn't think but should be pretty cheap. We'll see how he goes NAB Challenge and how he fits into the structure.
Cowan - Haven't seen much of Cowan but the way people describe how he plays does sound like a point-accumulator! See how he goes NAB Challenge but will definitely be cheap enough to get as a midfield bench option. Expect him to play VFL for a few weeks start of the season but we shall see.
Clark - Very excited by this prospect. As long as he gets through pre-season fine and NAB Challenge, I will definitely be buying as a F5 most likely as he will be cheap enough!
Bates - Don't see him playing much AFL at all this year but just keep an eye on how he gets through pre-season and he could be a pretty good cheap option in 2016 if still on the list with his run out of the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Motlop is fit then he is a lock. Caddy and Clark would be the others. Duncans value will be too high.

Thoughts on whoever takes Bundy's spot (I guess we'll see in the NAB Challenge)? Whether it be Lang, Jansen or Hartman they are all cheap and will score well enough to go up in price quite a bit.

Lang has me very excited for 2015.

In the only half he played he got around 50 points I'm pretty sure. Now understandable he won't get as quite as easy possessions like he would against St. Kilda and he won't score goals every week. But the 3 main positives for Lang are the fact he is a contested kind of player following the ball wherever it goes, he has great intensity (6 tackles against St. Kilda in a half got him 24 points just from tackles), and he has excellent foot skills so will get more points with his disposal efficiency being high!

:D

Thoughts on whoever takes Bundy's spot (I guess we'll see in the NAB Challenge)? Whether it be Lang, Jansen or Hartman they are all cheap and will score well enough to go up in price quite a bit.
Very hard to tell at this point. Depends on how they apply themselves in the preseason. Hartman would have to be ahead at this stage given he is a bit older and has had the opportunity to show a bit more at the top level. But that could turn on its head by the start of round 1.

Walker- finished the season well, has survived the cull, will prove he is worth the wait.
Cowan-still on the list, if he plays, will be rock-bottom price, and may finally show us all what is so special about him.

Walker- finished the season well, has survived the cull, will prove he is worth the wait.
Cowan-still on the list, if he plays, will be rock-bottom price, and may finally show us all what is so special about him.

I like Josh, and really, really hope he makes it*.
But I can only sum up his prospects this season in 8 words:
McIntosh, Simpson, Hawkins, Clark, Stanley, Vardy, Kersten, Blicavs.

*If only because of his grandfather, who should have been in our Team of the Century.

I like Josh, and really, really hope he makes it*.
But I can only sum up his prospects this season in 8 words:
McIntosh, Simpson, Hawkins, Clark, Stanley, Vardy, Kersten, Blicavs.

*If only because of his grandfather, who should have been in our Team of the Century.
Agree.
Walker should be rated ahead of Kersten, Vardy, HMc and Simpson at CHF for starters, but he may surprise us all at CHB anyway.
Here I go again- this time last year , I was all over Brown and Simpson; ok, I give in, Walker is gone.

Agree.
Walker should be rated ahead of Kersten, Vardy, HMc and Simpson at CHF for starters, but he may surprise us all at CHB anyway.
Here I go again- this time last year , I was all over Brown and Simpson; ok, I give in, Walker is gone.

CHF should be Walker's spot to lose.
Clark isn't a walk up start in my eyes.

Agree.

I don't think he's gone, but he is definitely going to have his work cut out getting a regular game if all the others listed get and stay fit.

CHF should be Walker's spot to lose.
Clark isn't a walk up start in my eyes.

I think Clark is likely to be a walk-up for CHF in the MC's eyes, which are the only ones that count. ;)
I also think that Vardy would be next cab off the rank if he's fit and shows anything like the ability he did before his knee injury.

Why is that, Vdubs?
He has to regain fitness, confidence, form- of course he eventually will- I just don't see it in the near future with the others ahead of him, including Walker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back