2015 Fixture Leaks

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...way-games-at-mcg-in-2015-20141023-11at1h.html

Below was the split of MCG home games last year (amongst clubs that were scheduled to play home games at the MCG)

Collingwood - 14 games (9 home, 5 away)
Melbourne - 12 games (9 home, 3 away)
Richmond - 12 games (10 home, 2 away)
Hawthorn - 11 games (7 home, 4 away)
Carlton - 8 games (5 home, 3 away)
Essendon - 7 games (4 home, 3 away)
Geelong - 5 games (2 home, 3 away)

Now that Carlton have an extra home game at the MCG...

Richmond - 14 games (10 home, 4 away)
Melbourne - ??? (9 home, ??? away)
Hawthorn - ??? (7 home, ??? away)
Carlton - ??? (6 home, ??? away)
Essendon - ??? (4 home, ??? away)
Geelong - ??? (??? home, ??? away)

It wouldn't surprise me if Geelong's home game against Collingwood got bumped next year meaning that the Cats play 1 home game at the MCG, against the Hawks late in the season.

I hope Melbourne gets home games against Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton AND Richmond for a change as well....

Ok 3 of the 4 will have to do I guess.

At least your fans can actually attend games against these clubs...

Over the last 5 years the Demons have played 25 fixtures against these clubs (10 home, 15 away) and all have been at the MCG.

In that same time the Hawks have played 26 fixtures against these clubs (9 home, 17 away) with 6 of them placed at Ethiad Stadium (and all of them locking out). That's despite 13 of the 20 MCG fixtures exceeding the capacity of Ethiad.

In fact we haven't played a home game against Carlton since 2009 (a game that drew 69,814 at the MCG) since that time we played 4 successive away games against Carlton at Ethiad.

So we both are getting screwed ;)

I hope Melbourne gets home games against Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton AND Richmond for a change as well....

Ok 3 of the 4 will have to do I guess.

2015 will be Melbourne's 74th season in which teams aren't guaranteed to play a home game against every other side. It will be the 70th of those seasons in which you get a home game against Collingwood. That's a record other clubs might be envious of.

You remember what happened in 2003? We played a derby in the last round, and then both teams got smashed the next week in the finals.

If it's ok to schedule traditional rivals like Coll v Carl, Coll v Ess, Carl v Ess and Haw v Ess in the final round, not to mention Syd v Haw and Coll v Geel when those rivalries were at their peak (all of those matchups have happened at least once from 2003 onwards), then it's ok to play a derby.

At the very least SA and WA supporters should never complain about their teams having to travel in the last round given that it's seemingly too difficult to play against a rival.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...way-games-at-mcg-in-2015-20141023-11at1h.html

Below was the split of MCG home games last year (amongst clubs that were scheduled to play home games at the MCG)

Melbourne - 12 games (9 home, 3 away)
Richmond - 12 games (10 home, 2 away)
Hawthorn - 11 games (7 home, 4 away)
Carlton - 8 games (5 home, 3 away)
Essendon - 7 games (4 home, 3 away)
Geelong - 5 games (2 home, 3 away)

Now that Carlton have an extra home game at the MCG...

Richmond - 14 games (10 home, 4 away)
Melbourne - ??? (9 home, ??? away)
Hawthorn - ??? (7 home, ??? away)
Carlton - ??? (6 home, ??? away)
Essendon - ??? (4 home, ??? away)
Geelong - ??? (??? home, ??? away)

It wouldn't surprise me if Geelong's home game against Collingwood got bumped next year meaning that the Cats play 1 home game at the MCG, against the Hawks late in the season.

The allocation of MCG is bullshit.

MCG clubs should be Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda
Docklands clubs should be North Melbourne, Essendon, Footscray and Carlton

Melbourne & Hawthorn - All Melbourne-based home games at MCG (whilst Hawthorn sells games to Tasmania)
Richmond & Collingwood - 9 Melbourne-based Home games at MCG 2 at Docklands, sold games come out of MCG allocation
St Kilda - 6 Melbourne-based home games at MCG, 5 at Docklands, sold games come out of Docklands allocation
Essendon and Carlton - 5 Melbourne-based Home games at MCG, 6 at Docklands, sold games come out of Docklands allocation
North Melbourne & Footscray - 9 Melbourne-based Home games at Docklands, 2 at MCG, sold games even split from both allocations
Geelong - All Melbourne-based Home games at Docklands minimum 7-4 split between Geelong-based and Melbourne-based

Last edited:
The allocation of MCG is bullshit.

MCG clubs should be Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda
Docklands clubs should be North Melbourne, Essendon, Footscray and Carlton

Melbourne & Hawthorn - All Melbourne-based home games at MCG (whilst Hawthorn sells games to Tasmania)
Richmond & Collingwood - 10 Melbourne-based Home games at MCG 2 at Docklands, sold games come out of MCG allocation
St Kilda - 6 Melbourne-based home games at MCG, 5 at Docklands, sold games come out of Docklands allocation
Essendon and Carlton - 5 Melbourne-based Home games at MCG, 6 at Docklands, sold games come out of Docklands allocation
North Melbourne & Footscray - 10 Melbourne-based Home games at Docklands, 2 at MCG sold games even split from both allocations
Geelong - All Melbourne-based Home games at Docklands minimum 7-4 split between Geelong-based and Melbourne-based

Sorry but I find it really hard to see how you could justify St Kilda getting more home games at the MCG than both Essendon and Carlton. And that is coming from a fellow Saints supporter who recognises the benefits of being at the G.

Sorry but I find it really hard to see how you could justify St Kilda getting more home games at the MCG than both Essendon and Carlton. And that is coming from a fellow Saints supporter who recognises the benefits of being at the G.
Because it is the way it always should have been. When it went to 2 stadiums eastern clubs should have been allotted priority at the MCG and western clubs Docklands.

Because it is the way it always should have been. When it went to 2 stadiums eastern clubs should have been allotted priority at the MCG and western clubs Docklands.

There is the capacity issue though, and it's not like the MCG is right out in the eastern suburbs like Waverley. I really don't think the location is enough of a reason to justify St Kilda playing there over Etihad, when Etihad is a suitable venue for most of our home games.

There should be no concept of 'home grounds' in Victoria, with the exception of Geelong.

All games should be played in the stadium which will provide the 'best fit' for the expected crowd. Just make the minimum 3 home games at the MCG each or something.

There is the capacity issue though, and it's not like the MCG is right out in the eastern suburbs like Waverley. I really don't think the location is enough of a reason to justify St Kilda playing there over Etihad, when Etihad is a suitable venue for most of our home games.
Screw the capacity issue. I'm not saying that Carlton have to play Essendon at the Docklands, they'll still have 5 home-games each at the MCG.

Also if you'll notice they're both getting roughly the same amount of MCG home games as they already get.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be no concept of 'home grounds' in Victoria, with the exception of Geelong.

All games should be played in the stadium which will provide the 'best fit' for the expected crowd. Just make the minimum 3 home games at the MCG each or something.

If you're going to offer sensible, fair solutions then I'm afraid you'll just have to leave.

The AFL website saying they plan to play 5 games on ANZAC day next year. Not sure what day it falls on though, but it seems like overkill to me.
Saturday.

So they normally play 5.

Apparently Melbourne haven't left Victoria for round 1 since 1998 with all games (save Carlton and St Kilda in '06 and '14) being scheduled for the MCG - mostly as home games.

Pretty amazing how that has just slipped under the radar!

During that period we had a couple of "set games" for a few years we played Richmond every year round 1 and also Hawthorn for a few years we played them every year round 1.

At least your fans can actually attend games against these clubs...

Over the last 5 years the Demons have played 25 fixtures against these clubs (10 home, 15 away) and all have been at the MCG.

In that same time the Hawks have played 26 fixtures against these clubs (9 home, 17 away) with 6 of them placed at Ethiad Stadium (and all of them locking out). That's despite 13 of the 20 MCG fixtures exceeding the capacity of Ethiad.

In fact we haven't played a home game against Carlton since 2009 (a game that drew 69,814 at the MCG) since that time we played 4 successive away games against Carlton at Ethiad.

So we both are getting screwed ;)

Yeah but the club sees minimal benefit when the majority are as away games.

One thing I think we can all agree on is the fixture is a joke.

2015 will be Melbourne's 74th season in which teams aren't guaranteed to play a home game against every other side. It will be the 70th of those seasons in which you get a home game against Collingwood. That's a record other clubs might be envious of.

So what? When we don't get a home game against Carlton, Essendon or Richmond it kind of offsets the benefit we get from hosting the Pies.

Not to mention some clubs get the benefit of the locked in fixtures every single year - how many of those 74 years have Collingwood had home games against Carlton? Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back