BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/round-one-2015-revealed

PRIZED Brisbane Lions recruit Dayne Beams will enjoy an instant reunion with his former Collingwood teammates, with the Lions and the Magpies scheduled to meet at the Gabba in the opening round of next year.

The AFL has confirmed the opening round fixtures for 2015, with Carlton and Richmond once again kicking off the new season at the MCG on Easter Thursday, April 2.

This will give the MCG ground staff just four days to convert the ground back to its football alignment following the World Cup cricket final the previous Sunday.

With the AFL choosing not to stage a Good Friday game, it will be the match-up between Beams and the Magpies on the Saturday night at the Gabba that will attract plenty of interest, with the resurgent Lions granted their wish of an early home blockbuster against a big Victorian club.

Beams returned to his home state during last week's trade period after 118 games for the Magpies, including the 2010 premiership and the 2012 Copeland Trophy.

The marquee match of the round will be at Patersons Stadium on the opening Sunday with a replay of this year's first semi-final between Fremantle and Port Adelaide. The Power stormed home to knock the Dockers out of the finals by 22 points in a major upset.

2014 strugglers Melbourne and St Kilda will both open with winnable home games against Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, respectively.

Adelaide, under new coach Phil Walsh, will kick-start the Adelaide Oval season on the Sunday afternoon against North Melbourne.

James Hird's first game back as coach of Essendon will be at the SCG on the opening Saturday afternoon against the Sydney Swans. It remains to be seen how strong a side the Bombers will be able to field, depending on the outcome of the ASADA saga.

The Western Bulldogs and West Coast will play Etihad Stadium's first game for the season on the Saturday night.

Hawthorn is likely to unfurl its 2014 premiership flag with the now traditional Easter Monday clash against Geelong at the MCG in what will be the last game of the round.

The AFL will unveil the complete fixture for 2015 on Thursday October 30.

Thursday

Carlton v Richmond

Saturday
Melbourne v Gold Coast
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Brisbane Lions v Collingwood
Western Bulldogs v West Coast

Sunday
St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney
Adelaide v North Melbourne
Fremantle v Port Adelaide

Monday
Hawthorn v Geelong

Eh, at least it's at home. Get to showcase T.Boyd in front of what should be a big crowd early on.

Also, it may bring back sentimental memories. The game early in 2008 on a Saturday Night vs West Coast always sticks out in my mind - warm night, Bulldogs in great form, Cooney's hitout against Cox, etc, that game seems to have a place in my brain - hopefully round 1 can be just like that!

When does the fixture for the NAB Cup get released? Isn't it usually a couple of days before the full AFL one?

Would love there to be a pre-season game at the VUWO. They'd need to build three new breweries in the Western suburbs to make sure they didn't run out of cans!

I just said to my mate that I bet it's a Sunday against the Eagles, same day every year... Very happy it's Saturday at least this time. I'll be flying over lads! Hopefully we have Crameri available... Boyd on MacKenzie will be a tough start, can't wait!

Could be worse a Sunday twilight game. How come Igloo your not fond of Saturday night footy?
I'm very fond of Saturday night footy! My shock is in reference to it not being on a Sunday afternoon :p

Gee, it's been a while since we've played you guys in round one.
At least we don't have to wear the awful red uniform this time round
And this would be a perfect game for the yellow wings... but no....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we don't have to wear the awful red uniform this time round
And this would be a perfect game for the yellow wings... but no....
Just realised that means we have to wear our clash; Good lord. The return of the wings can't come soon enough.

Hopefully we have Crameri available... Boyd on MacKenzie will be a tough start, can't wait!

McKenzie would probably need to go to Crameri as he's a better match for mobility, but if not that's cool by me. Hope Grant is fit & firing as well, very tough to match up on those 3 at once!

Saturday night game? :eek:. What is this madness?

Enjoy it while you can, it will be the only one we will get all season :p

Ugh! West Coast in Round 1 again? Was almost as bad as getting I think it was Adelaide? Early a few years in a row.
Wonder if we will actually play Carlton twice for once? Has to be the one team we never seem to play twice for some reason

Stoked with a Saturday Night game, hope we get a few night games this year, will be great for the team and fans alike. Saturday nights are my favorite fixture

Why do we always get West Coast in round 1? Is it the battle for the right to have "West" in our name?

GWS doesn't count.

Saturday is usually a busy night for me so not sure how I feel about it.

Would prefer Friday or Sunday. But I know heaps of people will like the Saturday night spotlight.

So after our horrific first week of the trade period, we've landed Tom Boyd and been granted a Saturday night home fixture for Round 1.

Did somebody stick their hand in a toaster?

It'll be fantastic. We'll get to wear our proper home jumper, West Coast will have to wear that horrific white jumper (bring back the yellow peril you numpties), and Boyd will debut in front of an adoring home crowd.

With any luck, the Eagles will suck at the start of the season, for once.

Saturday is usually a busy night for me so not sure how I feel about it.

Would prefer Friday or Sunday. But I know heaps of people will like the Saturday night spotlight.

:O what could you possibly rather be doing than watching round 1 Doggies on a Saturday night! I'm flying from Perth for it I'm so excited haha

As much as I don't care for Saturday night games and the way they are a burden on ones social life, it wont be long before we see the scheduling of this game with nostalgia. Just wait for the rest of the fixture to be released where we'll see the inevitable 14 Sunday afternoon/twilight games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back