News 2015 Fixture Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any danger of a Friday night game? Any.

Its not a bad fixture when comparing to previous seasons. But what im most disappointed with is the complete lack of equalisation still.....This is where we need it the most. not hand-outs

We play Saints, Dees and GWS in a 4 week period. Huge opportunity to go 3-1 in that span (Freo the other)

If we can win a couple more games prior to that we would be sitting nicely at 5-4 after round 9

Its not a bad fixture when comparing to previous seasons. But what im most disappointed with is the complete lack of equalisation still.....This is where we need it the most. not hand-outs
To be honest, apart from a lack of Friday night games, I think this fixture is definitely moving in the right direction regarding that. 5 Saturday night games, 13 in total on a Saturday, only 2 Sunday twilight, from this perspective I think the only thing else we could have asked is 1-2 Friday games.

I'm not saying its anywhere close to perfect, but it is much better than in the past where we've been stuck with 6 Sunday twilight matches and 14 odd Sunday games in total.

To be honest, apart from a lack of Friday night games, I think this fixture is definitely moving in the right direction regarding that. 5 Saturday night games, 13 in total on a Saturday, only 2 Sunday twilight, from this perspective I think the only thing else we could have asked is 1-2 Friday games.

I'm not saying its anywhere close to perfect, but it is much better than in the past where we've been stuck with 6 Sunday twilight matches and 14 odd Sunday games in total.
It is better but i'll say again that it is nowhere near what needs to be done. How can carlton get 6 friday night games when they finished only 1/2 a game in front of us???

Why do Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood get 13-15 FTA games vs our 8? This is where we need equalisation the most. The ability to market to the public and bring in supporters. If we continue to rely on the handouts from other clubs then thats all we will ever be - just a team making up the numbers for the big boys to make all the gains.

The only reason this fixture is significantly better for us than previous years is because the AFL is getting rid of Sunday twilight games altogether. The fact that we now have fewer games in that timeslot and more games in better timeslots (every other timeslot is better than Sunday twilight) is no gift or reward, and we shouldn't be praising the AFL for it even if it were. After all, low crowds and viewership is (almost) as bad for them as it is for us and this move is overdue if nothing else.

The only reason this fixture is significantly better for us than previous years is because the AFL is getting rid of Sunday twilight games altogether. The fact that we now have fewer games in that timeslot and more games in better timeslots (every other timeslot is better than Sunday twilight) is no gift or reward, and we shouldn't be praising the AFL for it even if it were. After all, low crowds and viewership is (almost) as bad for them as it is for us and this move is overdue if nothing else.
No the sunday twilight slot still exists. Its sunday and monday nights that have gone

I'm almost satisfied with no Friday night game on the back of five Saturday night games and only one Sunday twilight game.

No the sunday twilight slot still exists. Its sunday and monday nights that have gone
Well I guess that's egg on my face then (or should that be a mea culpa?). Okay everyone, forget that big rant, I'm just going to sit in the corner and mumble angrily to myself about Friday nights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually quite happy to only get 5 twilights down from like 14 and got them transferred to way more saturday arvo and nights as a result. :thumbsu:

Would of been perfect to get a friday night but it's as good as it's gonna get until we play well.

I actually like our line up for 2015
The afl have given us tons of saturday games to bring the fans in and now that sunday night games no longer exist, no more excuses for people not going to the games.

For someone who takes kids to the footy, the timeslots seem a lot better than previous years. Hopefully this flows through to increased attendances.

As someone mentioned earlier, the last three weeks look tough. If we fall away at the back of the season again it could be an ugly finish.

Not friendly for the those who play footy on Saturday afternoons but considering the amount of Saturday games it should bring in some reasonable crowds. Favourable draw though, have no problem with playing the lower teams twice.

Shouldn't we be playing Carlton & GWS twice? What happened to the AFL's 3 groups of 6 fixturing?

Happy with that - finally we aren't buried in the Sunday Twilight Zone.
Some Saturday games are a welcome change from the last 3 years - couple at the G as well makes my G Membership actually usable for once

It is better but i'll say again that it is nowhere near what needs to be done. How can carlton get 6 friday night games when they finished only 1/2 a game in front of us???

Why do Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood get 13-15 FTA games vs our 8? This is where we need equalisation the most. The ability to market to the public and bring in supporters. If we continue to rely on the handouts from other clubs then thats all we will ever be - just a team making up the numbers for the big boys to make all the gains.
Yep the free to air tv coverage is the big sting for me. 8 games is really low. I think we had 11 last year.

The answer is pretty simple really - Cause channel 7 pumped huge amounts of money into the rights deal to get the best teams on free to air to buy viewers. Putting us on Free to air more than the popular sides doesnt give them a return on the investment. Its not something I think we should be complaining about to be honest.

lets not forget the handouts from the massive TV rights deal is in all likelihood is what keeps 10 teams in Melbourne.
At some stage we have to accept our medicine.

Lats year was way tooo balanced in the way of TV - and Gil admitted as much in the presser today.
The balance has been swung back the way of the fan who goes to the game no doubt and that for one I am happy about.

Dont mind it.

Get to play on the G twice, plenty of Saturdays games at Etihad and Griffin gets to come back to Etihad! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back