2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see how far the AFL will go appeasing the big Vic clubs. Caro in her article today has said that Collingwood was "heavily consulted" re the fixture. Seriously WTF? Sounds like the first 4 or 5 weeks will heavily concentrate of Victorian Wankbusters. With only Hawthorn being a serious challenge for the flag of the Victorian teams that matter, they'll try very hard to pump these games up early. They will dearly be hoping Richmond can start winning consistently.

Port and Adelaide will get their usual s**t fixturing tempered with a few more marquee games, Sydney will get looked after, reckon the WA teams might get largely forgotten and it will be interesting to see if Gold Coast continue to get more FTA continue than we do. On the whole, expect largely the same or even more pro big Victorian club fixturing, but for the first time in a long time, Port will get a better commercial, but probably harder fixture.

Makes sense with what I've just said. Assuming Showdown round 3, we play 3 non Vic teams in first 3 rounds. First month will be all be Vic team matchups in the prime time positions.
Two real contenders then possibly followed by the cows playing their grand final will/would be pretty darn challenging but wouldn't want it any other way.

20 years ago I was living in Plaistow. Drop into the Black Lion and have a pint of their warmest bitter for me.
1978 I travelled to England and spent a few days in Plaistow with a friend. Stayed in one of those ugly tower blocks and went to see West Ham play at Upton Park. Frank Lampard(snr.) and Trevor Brooking were playing for them at the time.

Last edited:
Freo then the Swans is a fair wake up to the season - Kochie let it slip this morning that we have the Swans 2nd up.

I'm fine with that, as long as the swans in round 2 isn't one of our Friday night games. If it is, and following a Sunday night game in Perth, then that'll be one massive balls up by the AFL.

Port and Adelaide will get their usual s**t fixturing
WTF? Gillon has given Adelaide great draws the last few years. And 2015 against the Roos is giving Adelaide their bunny first up. The Roos lower themselves below their 'normal level' as much every time they play them as they raise themselves above it when they play us.

WTF? Gillon has given Adelaide great draws the last few years. And 2015 against the Roos is giving Adelaide their bunny first up. The Roos lower themselves below their 'normal level' as much every time they play them as they raise themselves above it when they play us.

I'm talking more from a commercial point of view. Commercially we probably got the better draw last year, we got the first game/first showdown, that was massive and the likes of stupid are still whinging about it. I haven't ventured onto their board this morning but I dare say they'll be whinging about Easter Sunday. They'll get 1 Friday night and a couple of Thursdays at home I reckon, but they'll still get 4 or 5 fairly ordinary home time slots as well. The AFL know that they'll fill the ground most weeks any rate and this probably works a bit to their disadvantage. Same with the WA teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any time, anywhere. This time last year we were mortified about the Geelong/Hawthorn/Freo/Sydney stretch of games (think St Kilda game was amongst that), and yet it was a bunch of also-rans that ultimately derailed our season.

Getting a trip to perth out the way early doesn't bother me but i thought we'd be at AO first round 2015

I for one am a big fan of knocking out the perth trip in rd 1 of the season, allows us to hit it fresh and know we wont be making that trip in rd 23 again. Swans in rd 2 if thats the case im happy following the perth trip with the swans. Personally i think next year we should be able to beat the swans by 20+ pts, i think the loss of Malceski and the age of their list, makes me think we should run all over them, especially in adelaide. 2-0 start, bring it!

It's definitely an advantage getting two 2014 top 4 teams coming off shortened preseasons (like us) in the first 2 rounds.
One of the many advantages of having Darren Burgess is his knack of making up valuable ground due to the later start to preseason that's an unavoidable consequence of going deep into the finals.

Freo away first round is more thank okay by me. Get it out of the way early, plus no worry about when and where the game prior to the perth travel was last played the round before. Means we can't get Freo away in the last couple of rounds when a win could be very crucial.

If Swans in round 2 is the truth, again not worried at all. We get them at home which is a huge bonus. We could get the Swans only once through the year and it means we get them one our home deck guaranteed.

Also if people remember this year the Swans and Freo both started the year really slow. They lost easy games and looked sluggish. They hit their peak round 6 onwards. Where we started like a house on fire.

I'm fine with that, as long as the swans in round 2 isn't one of our Friday night games. If it is, and following a Sunday night game in Perth, then that'll be one massive balls up by the AFL.
They can't do that. AFL players association has a rule that players must have a minimum 6 day break. So there is no chance the Swans game will be on Friday night.

I don't mind playing the Swans in R2. It's highly likely they will have smashed a 2nd rate Dons side in R1 where as Freo will be ultimate prep. Perfect.

Given Hawthorn and Geelong have the Monday game and we're late on Sunday, it's pretty safe to assume we'll be hosting one of the two in round 2, on a Sunday. Tough start if so.
Agreed, fingers, toes, legs and everything else crossed that it is Geelong we will face. Freo then Hawks could be a disasterous start..... I suppose it could also be amazing, but it doesn't take a genius to realise we'd prefer Geelong.

Edit appears it will be Sydney which is a surprise. How we draw an 8 day break team, after a trip to perth is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back