2015 Flag Predictions

Who will win the 2015 flag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow such a discerning argument. Adelaide got to within a kick of us in the prelim 3 years ago. The following year we beat them by 10 goals. So so close yet....so far.

That's a really good argument there! :$ Because...you know...if it's happened once it's bound to happen again....Murphy's Law...right?!

Let's hope for your sake ageing stars like Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne aren't being sidelined due to injuries. Then we will see how good they will be really!

Yeah but the Cows are a hopeless bunch. Whereas Port are Brave and Fit, according to many Hawks on this forum.
You don't honestly think you'll knock off Port by 10 bananas do ya?

A lot of Hawks supporters genuinely thought Adelaide were a threat in 2013 based on the 2012 prelim. Hawks supporters are doing it again now which is fair enough.

FWIW I think Port will finish in the top 4 but I still rate us as a 4 goal better side.

That's a really good argument there! :$ Because...you know...if it's happened once it's bound to happen again....Murphy's Law...right?!

Let's hope for your sake ageing stars like Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne aren't being sidelined due to injuries. Then we will see how good they will be really!

Mitchell missed no time last year....oh wait there was that 8 week stint with a hammy.

We also had other spuds like Gibson and Lake miss 10+ weeks. We are very one dimensional and Port with their extreme fitness and lean cuisine diet will run all over us.

A lot of Hawks supporters genuinely thought Adelaide were a threat in 2013 based on the 2012 prelim. Hawks supporters are doing it again now which is fair enough.

FWIW I think Port will finish in the top 4 but I still rate us as a 4 goal better side.

What do you base this on? Your gut feeling probably...

Mitchell missed no time last year....oh wait there was that 8 week stint with a hammy.

We also had other spuds like Gibson and Lake miss 10+ weeks. We are very one dimensional and Port with their extreme fitness and lean cuisine diet will run all over us.

They all came up when it mattered for Hawks. Do you think you will see the same consistency from Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne. Or you pinning your hopes on O'Rourke, Schoenmakers, Whitecross to carry you over the line? Because without Mitchell, Hodge and Co, Hawks are good but not flag fancy.

4 goals or 4 points ?
Soon we'll get to find out which team has more upside for the next season...
#gopaddyryderprovidingyourallowedtoplayofcoursebutevenifyoucantthengopaddyanyway

What do you base this on? Your gut feeling probably...

They all came up when it mattered for Hawks. Do you think you will see the same consistency from Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne. Or you pinning your hopes on O'Rourke, Schoenmakers, Whitecross to carry you over the line? Because without Mitchell, Hodge and Co, Hawks are good but not flag fancy.

Where do you think Mitchell, Hodge and Bugoyne are going to go? Burgoyne was in the AA squad - showing no signs of slowing down yet. Mitchell had a nasty hamstring and but then was equal BOG in the GF. Hodge was BOG. If these guys are showing signs of stopping I cannot see it.

If Port are relying on these guys to stop haven't they already conceded?

Where do you think Mitchell, Hodge and Bugoyne are going to go? Burgoyne was in the AA squad - showing no signs of slowing down yet. Mitchell had a nasty hamstring and but then was equal BOG in the GF. Hodge was BOG. If these guys are showing signs of stopping I cannot see it.

There's been plenty of signs actually just not sure you're willing to see them. Hawks were fortunate they all came good around the finals but next time they might not be so lucky. That aside, Port have a bigger scope of improvement anyway whereas Hawthorn rely on the ageing stars not to drop off. You might think they will never drop off but reality says otherwise. Burgoyne, Hodge and Mitchell have missed heaps of games in the past 2 years so these are signs that it is all catching up to them.

My thoughts are, if Port were to win enough games and finish top 2 and we find ourselves playing the prelim at AO, I don't think anyone will beat us at our ground including Hawks.

Burgers played fantastic burst footy last year and I think he will again this year, it looks like he and the club have worked out how to manage his body very well

Mitch as I have said before I believe will play more games than last year and I think his style of play (ie not relying on leg speed) will see him playing well again in 15 and beyond if he so desires

Hodge I thought was cooked after 2012 and hoped I was wrong, last two seasons he looks to have gotten back on top and if he can stay fit could play for a few more years at a high level also

Now if they can just get Cyril's hammies right ;) then we could be in for a great year

Ah, this gem again. And we've seen how good they really are.

Are other supporters really hanging on the hope that our stars are injured? Or saying we aren't that good..........as long as half our best players are out (again mind you). What if we have a great run with injuries and Boak, Pav, Buddy, Selwood, Westhoff, Sandilands, Kennedy blah blah blah all get injured. Then we'll see how good you all are. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, we've proven we can win with a massive injury list. It's actually up to other clubs to show if they can. Swans 2013 version sure as hell couldn't - and didn't we hear about their poor plight.

That'd be correct. But they aren't.

The point he made was the about the upside for the next season. You've got several mature Hawks guns at the top of their game, those guns you mention are unlikely to have a growth spurt this year, they're already fine players for you.
And then you have Port's guns with what appears to be a greater upside for improvement, with few mature players.
Both clubs recruited relatively well in the meantime.
Lets face it, its hard to call. There's gonna be some good footy between these two clubs in 2015.
Other clubs can watch it live on Foxtel so there's something for everyone...

The point he made was the about the upside for the next season. You've got several mature Hawks guns at the top of their game, those guns you mention are unlikely to have a growth spurt this year, they're already fine players for you.
And then you have Port's guns with what appears to be a greater upside for improvement, with few mature players.
Lets face it, its hard to call. There's gonna be some good footy between these two clubs in 2015.

Much more reasoned post.

There's been plenty of signs actually just not sure you're willing to see them. Hawks were fortunate they all came good around the finals but next time they might not be so lucky. That aside, Port have a bigger scope of improvement anyway whereas Hawthorn rely on the ageing stars not to drop off. You might think they will never drop off but reality says otherwise. Burgoyne, Hodge and Mitchell have missed heaps of games in the past 2 years so these are signs that it is all catching up to them.

My thoughts are, if Port were to win enough games and finish top 2 and we find ourselves playing the prelim at AO, I don't think anyone will beat us at our ground including Hawks.

wat :eek:

Burgoyne has gone 24, 23, 25 games in the last three years (more than I expected to be honest given deliberate resting)
Hodge has gone 10, 23, 22 - 2012 was not a good year, last 2 years have been great.
Mitchell has gone 24, 24, 16 - this years hamstring not a great result.

It is going to happen, none of them will go forever. But Burgoyne making the AA squad, Hodge dominating another September and Mitchell not far behind (BOG against Geelong - 36 touches, lucked out with only :rolleyes: 26 against your mob in the PF, then 33 :eek: in the GF) I think they are going fine - collectively they have missed 39 games out of a possible 225 over the last 3 years, over the last 2 years it looks even better.

As a side note, quite frankly Mitchell doesn't move fast enough to make stopping an issue.

Good post. The Hawks have genuine upside as well though. Langford is on a massive improvement curve, Rioli, Frawely added. There will absolutely be some good footy between the two clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. The Hawks have genuine upside as well though. Langford is on a massive improvement curve, Rioli, Frawely added. There will absolutely be some good footy between the two clubs.
Langford, mmm.
As I walked outta the MCG after the prelim, I was thinkin bout Langford and how good he was for yas, even caused our captain some grief. Saw his ol man on the replay, he'd be chuffed.
But now, for me its about which club has the biggest upside and I cant wait to find out.
Got my tickets, just counting the days now. Had enough of this off-season already. Bring it on.

Over the last two years I've seen enough from Duryea, Breust, Gunston, Hill, Litherland, Smith, Shiels, Suckling, Ceglar, Langford, Anderson with the added bonus of a fit CYRIL, Frawley and hopefully Stratton and Lake to suggest that the Hawks have more than just Hodge, old man Mitchell and almost cooked Burgoyne! To think that I haven't added Rough, Birchall, Mcevoy, Gibson and Jordi!! Clarko will have headaches IMO. Bring on 2015, can't hardly wait.

Wow such a discerning argument. Adelaide got to within a kick of us in the prelim 3 years ago. The following year we beat them by 10 goals. So so close yet....so far.

Pretty sure we weren't 6 goals up against the Crows pre junk time either

Probably more pertinently we had Fremantle fans telling us all pre season that they should have won the 2013 GF...and then round 3, 2014 happened

Last edited:

We'll forget they fell into a heap at the first hurdle once their relatively shallow depth was exposed mid season

Last edited:
We'll forget they fell into a heap at the first hurdle once their relatively shallow depth was exposed mid season
Why forget? We wont. We're back this time with more ammo in that area. Adding a 170 gamer to our spine wont hurt our chances.
#gopaddyryderprovidingyourallowedtoplayofcoursebutevenifyoucantthengopaddyanyway

Over the last two years I've seen enough from Duryea, Breust, Gunston, Hill, Litherland, Smith, Shiels, Suckling, Ceglar, Langford, Anderson with the added bonus of a fit CYRIL, Frawley and hopefully Stratton and Lake to suggest that the Hawks have more than just Hodge, old man Mitchell and almost cooked Burgoyne! To think that I haven't added Rough, Birchall, Mcevoy, Gibson and Jordi!! Clarko will have headaches IMO. Bring on 2015, can't hardly wait.
Yep, you got a good list.
...as well.

...as well.
Having said that I don't think we"ll win it this year though. Four GF's in a row would be almost impossible and there are some really skilled and hungry teams out there including your mob at the forefront! Anyway for the first time ever, i can truly say that I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the season unfold and if the Mighty Hawks fall short like im predicting, then let it be so..

Why forget? We wont. We're back this time with more ammo in that area. Adding a 170 gamer to our spine wont hurt our chances.

Agree we did that as well with the acquisition of Frawley (especially when were down Lake, Stratton and Gibson or any combination of those three...)

Port Adelaide has every right to be confident going into next year but when you look at the Hawks performances in PF's we just can't get an easy run into the GF (has any club ever had 4 successive PFs decided by less than a kick?)

...as well.

So do Port Adelaide. It's reasonable for most Hawk fans to see Port as our biggest threat in 2015. Huge upside left in them and only Kane Cornes and Jay Schulz would be considered past their best. If Port can knock the Hawks off along the way, they probably win the Premiership this year.

So do Port Adelaide. It's reasonable for most Hawk fans to see Port as our biggest threat in 2015. Huge upside left in them and only Kane Cornes and Jay Schulz would be considered past their best. If Port can knock the Hawks off along the way, they probably win the Premiership this year.
Just a slight correction, Kane and Jay remain at their peak, not past their best yet. Kane still setting the pace at training. Jay just needs another tall for support, which he has now. Similar stage in their careers as Hodge and Junior Burger. And I cant see Sydney rolling over either, they will want another crack, but they'll have an untried, new structure in their backline now.

Yeah its a 2 horse race. Why the **** the rest of the comp are bothering beats me.

Give us a spell Mr Pontificator.

Yeah its a 2 horse race. Why the **** the rest of the comp are bothering beats me.

Give us a spell Mr Pontificator.

Geez Swans fans hate it when they aren't having smoke blown out their arse.

If it makes you feel better, congrats AGAIN on 2012.

Back