Analysis 2015 Forward structure

Remove this Banner Ad

MM seems to be keen to give games to players he woos to the club. eg: Docherty and Everitt last season.

I suspect there are 2 reasons for this:
1. He believes they cover a "hole" in our lineup.
2. He needs to be seen to give players who come to the club every opportunity to succeed if he is to successfully woo more players to the club in the future.

There have been lots of comments from Malthouse/club about:
Kreuzer's need to learn how to play forward
Henderson will not be a swingman - he will only play FWD.

I personally think the game has changed and that Kreuzer is simply not tall enough to be #1 ruck. In fact I think he is almost a dinosaur as he has no logical position. Too short for ruck, can't take enough contested marks to be a gorilla FWD and too slow to beat DEF's on the lead.
I suspect Malthouse may try to turn him into a clone of Jarryd Roughead. i.e. he will play some time FWD, some time in the ruck and some time as a big midfielder.

FWIW and taking all this into account I think our most likely FWD set up will be:

FWD - Kreuzer Jones Menzel
HF - Tutt Henderson Thomas

Wood will be starting Ruck.

Casboult and Warnock will have to wait for injuries or play their way into the team. Unfortunately with K's injury history the wait may not take too long - in which case Casboult would be first in.

For the reasons above I think our DEF's will start as
FB - Touhy Rowe Jaksche
HB - Docherty Jamison Simpson

Yarran/Walker/Everitt will play on wings/midfield.

Walker and Yarran are playmakers, so mid/hbf is ideal for those players. Playing them forward is a serious mistake. Yarran is a 20ish disposal rebounding def who excels at generating scores. Walker (also prolific) has elite kick efficiency and good speed/height.

I like Yaz been thrown forward at times, but only as a tactic/rotation, not his best position.

I think Judd should play as a medium tall (HFF), and be unleashed in the midfield if we make finals. A bit like Goodes for Syd in 2012. He's in his last year and we need his leadership in our forward line. Gibbs, Murphy, Thomas can run our midfield.

Menzel plays out of the other pocket, Tutt on the other. The last spot is for a resting mid. Bell is a good choice - he's got a good leg, with a good combination of power and speed.

We don't need to replace Garlett, but Smith or Ellard could fill that role if required. I'd rather we develop our 18-24 year old mids, play an extra to help power our midfield.

Jamo, Rowe and Jaksch take the 3 talls in defence.

Walker and Yarran are playmakers, so mid/hbf is ideal for those players. Playing them forward is a serious mistake. Yarran is a 20ish disposal rebounding def who excels at generating scores. Walker (also prolific) has elite kick efficiency and good speed/height.

I like Yaz been thrown forward at times, but only as a tactic/rotation, not his best position.

I think Judd should play as a medium tall (HFF), and be unleashed in the midfield if we make finals. A bit like Goodes for Syd in 2012. He's in his last year and we need his leadership in our forward line. Gibbs, Murphy, Thomas can run our midfield.

Menzel plays out of the other pocket, Tutt on the other. The last spot is for a resting mid. Bell is a good choice - he's got a good leg, with a good combination of power and speed.

We don't need to replace Garlett, but Smith or Ellard could fill that role if required. I'd rather we develop our 18-24 year old mids, play an extra to help power our midfield.

Jamo, Rowe and Jaksch take the 3 talls in defence.

Also keep in mind the stated "club needs" outlined by our recruiter.

From memory it was "speed and kicking skills" through the midfield.

Therefor it makes sense that Yarran, Walker and possibly Boekhorst will be given opportunities there early in season.

I love Bells' effort but his kicking has been a problem - Cripps/Whiley might be given first option ahead of him.

Hats off to BV's post, but the natives on this board aren't always that civilised, let alone opposition supporters...

I prefer the term indigenous Carltonian, thank you very much.

Jones and Tutt are walk-in starters? Last time I checked, they were shopped around as steak knives during the trade period.

Bulldogs wanted to keep both. Only shopped around once they made their intentions clear that they wanted to leave.

This is how I see it:

HF: [Resting Mid] -- Henderson -- Menzel
FF: [Don't know] -- Jones or Watson -- [Resting Ruck]

Locks:

Henderson
at CHF. Has the experience, the skill and the tank to play as a big, athletic, roaming, agile half forward. Knows how to kick goals. Great leader.
Menzel at HFF/FP. We all know what he can be and with another pre-season under his belt this could be the year he takes the next step or three into the A-grade category.

Fighting for the one spot:

Jones and Watson at Full Forward. Both players have some marvelous skills and attributes, but both have some quite glaring flaws. Jones seems to have his nose in front at the moment, but if Watto commits himself and finds some self-belief and confidence, he could find himself as the incumbent FF by years end.

Rotations:

Casboult and Kreuzer as FF/3rd tall and rotating through the ruck. I imagine MK will ruck probably 60 - 70% of game time. Barring injury, I hope Wood and Warnock don't see much time in the 1sts this season.

Murphy, Judd, Walker, Gibbs, Yarran, Docherty and Everitt should all see time rotated through the front six during the year.

Don't know:

I legitimately have no idea who will make up the "small forward". Tutt seems likely, but there is also Clem Smith who could be given early game time if he shows something in the pre-season. Ellard seems to be a favourite of MM so I think we'll see him there at times. Certainly no one has this position locked at all. It'll be interesting to see who grabs this postion.

Any chance Dylan Buckley plays as a small forward this year. He can kick a goal he can set them up and his defensive pressure looks great. We have others who could play on the smaller forwards although I admit that SOJ seem like the best suited to the close checking smaller defender role.

Any chance Dylan Buckley plays as a small forward this year. He can kick a goal he can set them up and his defensive pressure looks great. We have others who could play on the smaller forwards although I admit that SOJ seem like the best suited to the close checking smaller defender role.
Even though I've only seen his highlights package, Boekhorst seems to have a good sense for the goals (awareness and a beautiful sidestep too).
If he has to improve his defensive efforts/fitness, I can see him playing in the forward line early on. Tutt should be front runner in the small forward role. Given that he took out 3rd on fridays 2km, I'm starting to back him to make it his.

Robbing Dean to pay Meldrum...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The potential dynamics in our new forward line is becoming very interesting. Reading reports from numerous sources I think there are a few conclusions and a few unknowns.

1 We will have three key forward setup. The three pillars policy.
2 Henderson is going to settle in the forward line. no more swinging! First pillar
3 Jones is a big part of our plan. He is another of our Key forwards. malthouse is very impressed. Second pillar
4 The resting Rucks will be expected to contribute (Kreuzer and Casboult) Third Pillar
5 Tutt will play half forward.

this leaves 2 spots to be filled

1 Small crumbing forward
2 Goal kicking half forward.

unknown/ speculation
Crumbing forward . The loss of betts and Garlett has hurt us. Clem Smith could be the replacement. Is he fit enough? He is certainly tough, can lay a tackle and is very creative. Other candidates?

Other half forward. Candidates- With the three pillars policy do we need another marking target ie Walker.
Walker has endurance and speed. He is flexible. He could play elsewhere, assist in our outside run in the midfield or play off half back.
Menzel. his endurance should be approaching where it needs to be after this years preseason to move into the midfield. His talent should be given a greater influence than just half forward.
Yarran. Is he too valuable setting up play off half back. His run and carry is elite. Would it be wasted off half forward?
Thomas?
Judd?

I reckon we'll see Davey Ellard in there somewhere playing the Eddie Betts role

Buckley spent some time forward in the VFL in 2013 & struggled to find the ball.

The move to defence was the best that happened to Buckley. It made sure he saw plenty of the ball & you could see the growth in his confidence as a result,

Buckley spent some time forward in the VFL in 2013 & struggled to find the ball.

The move to defence was the best that happened to Buckley. It made sure he saw plenty of the ball & you could see the growth in his confidence as a result,

I think in SOJ first game he was played forward looked good kicked a goal or two but looks even better in defense. I was just putting it out there as possable option as a small cruming type forward.

May be we could use that small forward role to help ease some younger players into the team.
In a similar way to how they brought Menz into the team over the last two years.

i'd like too see walker get more time forward this year.. in 2011 he scored 56 goals.. could stretch other teams defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back