Analysis 2015 Forward structure

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I had and still have faith in Watson, I think were all getting a bit too excited about his future becoming anywhere near the likes of fev! He's got 1 year imo to do something, although signs are good I reckon we need to chill and hope he becomes consistent!

Ummmm, sorry Moe B but nowhere in my post did I liken him to Fev. All I said was I think it is great we now have a nucleus of guys that can step up and play a role where needed.

I would say that is unlikely. I reckon Casboult is a lock for that role with Jones and Watson fighting out for the other forward spot.

Jones is 198cm, so he has the height to do the role.
And IIRC he did some ruck work at the doggies.

Talk of dropping Casboult for Watson is very premature imo.

Watson has excelled against clearly undersized opposition at his last two hit-outs. Obviously it's better that he's taken advantage of these mismatches than not but I'm still not sure he can worry genuine AFL quality KPDs.

To Watto's credit he's at least giving himself every chance to turn his career around up forward!

And yet the Jones theorum should be applied here. taking the third key defender gives him a much greater chance

I asked about that in the playing out of position thread. The response was a resounding no. :(

I reckon if we have 3 blokes 198cm or taller, plus a ruck then you've got the flexibility to switch Sam, Levi or Liam onto the ball should any of them be having a bad day.

Liam seems more athletic than the other two. Worth trialling against Naitanui.

Casboult is the weakest forward here you may argue as his kicking isn't reliable and he's less mobile

Ok we all know and agree about his kicking. But I really think your assessment of his mobility is a bit off. I expect this year that he will reaaly surprise with his increased fitness and ability to run out the game. There was a big leap in fitness last year and I believe that he has taken another step

Ummmm, sorry Moe B but nowhere in my post did I liken him to Fev. All I said was I think it is great we now have a nucleus of guys that can step up and play a role where needed.
Im not saying you likened him to fev but I was saying it generally... I hope you're right but early days yet, that's all im saying!

FF: Clem Smith -- Matthew Watson -- Liam Jones
HF: Troy Menzel -- Lachie Henderson -- [resting mid]

Until Kreuzer is back, why not play Casboult full time in the ruck? He should be fit enough by now. Rotate L. Jones and S. Rowe through the ruck to give the big fella a rest on the pine or down forward.

Be bloody great if we had a bunch of big lugs this year that can bash and crash in the ruck to give the main man a chop out! Bring on round 1!!

Emergence of Watson makes it a difficult task picking the forwards for the firsts team

Club must prefer a main ruck and a back up ruck either Cas or Kreuzer

But Watson isn't a ruck, nor are Hendo or Jones

So do they go just one ruck?

R1 talks fwd of centre could well be ...

Ruck : Warnock or Wood

Fwds : Hendo, Watto, and either Cas or Jones

I liked the look of Jones in intra club game so wouldn't want to leave him out but you need a second ruck

Tough call

I thought we might see Dlyan Buckley playing up forward this year.
He could have kick 3-4 in the intra club I think he kicked 0.3.
Could be like a mini swing man. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we might see Dlyan Buckley playing up forward this year.
He could have kick 3-4 in the intra club I think he kicked 0.3.
Could be like a mini swing man. :)
He was attempting to kick goal of the year hence the 0.3 score... Hendo gave him a massive spray when he didn't centre it, The vast majority of the crowd agreed, that's the only knock on bucks, We need team players, not heroics!

Is it worth developing Jayden Foster into a ruck? Remember seeing he did a bit of talk that he would go into ruck at Cannons and is a dead eye in front of goal. And at 194cm for a 19 year old looks like he could be a good size. Of course this is a long way away but may help our rucking departed with him resting forward and with the age of our current rucks.

I'm getting all hyped up about Matty "megahead" watson becoming the next brendan fevola. Here is why its going to happen:

Watson the forward:
pro's
He is a long distance cannon
He can kick 6 on some rookie draftee in a practice match
good mark when he gets his hands on the ball

con's
Has not yet shown an ability to out-leap and out-stretch AFL KPD
Does not have elite endurance
Is not overly quick

image you are james Hird* and you are coaching against Carlton.
first move would be to tell the fitness guys to go buy a truck load of 'roids and get the boys ready for the season, if this fails you might resort to opposition analysis...

you are worried about watson because if he marks the ball within 60, he will probably goal. So you either put your third tall on him and tell him to play tight and then try to run off if possible, or put your second kpd on him and shut him down.

Unless he improves his one on ones, most top eight sides have two defenders who can cut him out of the game. If he can command that second defender, thats a win! Often defenders will stay tight until the 50 and zone off a little as the leader runs further from goal. Can't do this with watson 'cause he will kick it from 60 so its likely the hole left behind his lead will be bigger for the next forward to lead into.

hendo's got the best defender
Casboult gets to crush the third defender in marking contests.

this is the same role we are looking for from Jones, great to have depths!

Did the following analysis in "Where will the Goals come from?"
My biggest concern was Jones and Casboult only average a goal or less a game.
Henderson at 1.6 goals a game needs to be locked in and perservered with especially when he gets the No. 1 Defender
Watson has only played on the 3rd defender so far but with that leg he only needs 6 kicks a game within 60m to have 3-4 goals a game - I think we should give him a crack - let him gain some confidence - tell him he is gonna get a go for quite a few weeks
I think Jones needs to be given a go (Mick seduced him, he will be given a chance - we need to seduce more) and Casboult sits in the magoos proving he can kick straight or if Jones or Watson averages under 1.5 goals a game after half a dozen games he gets his chance image.jpg
I don't think we could afford 4 in the forward line - someone at Northern Blues kicking a bag would be a nice issue to have
Forward line sorted - only issue is ruck - can Kreuzer, 206, or Cam ruck all day? can't really play forward so yes they have to, Rowe rucks deep in Backline, Everitt or Walker covers his man during the ruck contest.

Walker Henderson Thomas
Menzel Casboult Jones.

Still the best starting forward set up for mine.
Question on Walker being ready but you'd be doing well to have all these guys covered one on one.

I find myself preferring Daisy giving us run and carry dash from the HBF now that his ankle looks (almost) healed.

Andrejis Everitt is such a good kick at goal, that its almost tempting to plonk him up on the HFF but he is needed further up the ground.

Is it worth developing Jayden Foster into a ruck? Remember seeing he did a bit of talk that he would go into ruck at Cannons and is a dead eye in front of goal. And at 194cm for a 19 year old looks like he could be a good size. Of course this is a long way away but may help our rucking departed with him resting forward and with the age of our current rucks.

get him to drink cripps bathwater - could be anything

Mick seduced him, he will be given a chance - we need to seduce more)

Looks like mick has to go back to the zoro
guy-williams-zorro.jpg

Talk of dropping Casboult for Watson is very premature imo.

Watson has excelled against clearly undersized opposition at his last two hit-outs. Obviously it's better that he's taken advantage of these mismatches than not but I'm still not sure he can worry genuine AFL quality KPDs.

To Watto's credit he's at least giving himself every chance to turn his career around up forward!
Watson reminds me more of big lance, reads the play well not so much pace just lacking the size. I think he has a role to play and it will be good to see jones and watson fight for that spot in the side, genuine fight for spots up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back