Analysis 2015 Forward structure

Remove this Banner Ad

We could have Dunstall, Lockett and Coventry in our forward line and all would struggle to get a kick with out inside 50 delivery. I swear to God, our forward coaches only instruction must be "BOMB IT IN HIGH AND LONG!"

I should also add there was maybe one opportunity between the three big forwards where the ball was actually to their advantage... unfortunately Jones hasn't learnt to mark.

Watson got subbed off at half time with two hand balls :oops:

I would go with

1. Casboult
2. Jones

3. Watson

They all played terribly though.

They were pretty good handballs though...

He also created a few contests and knocked it to advantage. Just had no space.

Not sure Jones is the forward we're after. We'll see.

The coach subbed him off after two quarters and he was invisible for the majority of the first half :oops:

I'd like to see a convincing argument made for either one of them.

The coach subbed him off after two quarters and he was invisible for the majority of the first half :oops:

I'd like to see a convincing argument made for either one of them.
Two and a half. He was subbed off due to the three not having any fluency together. Casboult was just as bad to that point however is needed for the structure and Jones provides a different dimension due to his contrasting game style. It was the most sensible option to sub Watson off regardless of how bad they all were. You can't say the delivery was bad because there really wasn't any!

Two and a half. He was subbed off due to the three not having any fluency together. Casboult was just as bad to that point however is needed for the structure and Jones provides a different dimension due to his contrasting game style. It was the most sensible option to sub Watson off regardless of how bad they all were. You can't say the delivery was bad because there really wasn't any!

TBH I'm just messing around with you and your love for Watson :D

Most people would have thought of Jones as a hack at the bulldogs so apart from his Guernsey changing what difference can we expect this year really????

Most people would have thought of Jones as a hack at the bulldogs so apart from his Guernsey changing what difference can we expect this year really????
Be it jones or Watson I am simply hoping for good lead patterns that create space for other forwards to work into and when they get their match up that suits to kick their 3-4 goals. All we can really hope for is more consistency across the board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waite walked out on the club, so we needed an experienced senior player to fill that role. Nothing more, nothing less.

Liam is no Jarrad but he was the best candidate for the job available for a 3rd round draft pick.

Henderson will take the oppositions best defender leaving one of Jones/Casboult with the 3rd KPD to match up on who will most likely be undersized, so they should get their chances. Need 1 of our big forwards to kick 3 or 4 each week and probably 6 to 7 goals between the 3 of them to kick a winning score.

We've got a problem with a lack of good genuine tallish quick half forwards, to me this is why we keep bombing it, no one good enough to create space and break play up in this area, Walker could be the guy. The 50 goals was good but we did have to single him out and go to him a lot to get that, still think with his tools he should be a decent half forward.

Everitt, Walker, Menzel (plays tall), Cripps (at a pinch?).

Anyone else think Walker is a MUST up forward this season?

The bloke knows how to kick a goal (think he nailed over 50 in 2011) and think him and Menzel working together in the forward 50 could cause the opposition headaches.

Agree with Walker up forward - with Yarran / Docherty / Buckley / Tuohy and Sheehan all capable of providing good run and penetration out of the backline we can (and should) use Walker up forward:

FF: Jones Casboult Walker
HF: Menzel Henderson (Carrazzo / Ellard / Smith)

Good combination of height and mobility with the defensive forward spot to be taken by either Carrazzo, Ellard or Smith. Won't judge Jones too early in the piece; Watson still in the mix (battling it out with Jones most likely) even though he had a stinker against WCE.

Walker must play forward, one of very few capable of kicking multiple goals.

Last couple of years we have decimated our forward line, last year we kicked 20 goals in a game once, the same in 2013, 2012 we did it twice. Yet the year before Ratten had us notching it 5 times.

Gotta have those big games for percentage, and this year is pretty even team wise, 12 wins could have you anywhere from 6th to godknows.

Major concern for this club right now is lack of scoring, has to be addressed, and Walker is one piece to the puzzle.

Jones and Watto both had a pretty good work rate, but yeah Watto does need a reasonable feed of the ball to be a scoring threat, but what forward doesn't?

Work with him to get better at finding space and losing his opponent and he'll reward you with 80% scoring accuracy IMO.

Henderson should be the other tall option alongside them. Casboult didn't do himself any favours in the match despite showing he can still mark the ball.

Jones and Watto both had a pretty good work rate, but yeah Watto does need a reasonable feed of the ball to be a scoring threat, but what forward doesn't?

Work with him to get better at finding space and losing his opponent and he'll reward you with 80% scoring accuracy IMO.

Henderson should be the other tall option alongside them. Casboult didn't do himself any favours in the match despite showing he can still mark the ball.

Yeah, as much as I was disappointed with that "game" against WCE, it has to be said that with improved delivery (quantity and quality) into the forwards with Gibbs, Murphy, Judd, Thomas and Everitt running through the middle things will improve significantly on what we seen. I'm pretty sure we played more inexperienced players than any of the other sides - looked like WCE only had 3 or 4 best 22 not playing.

We've got a problem with a lack of good genuine tallish quick half forwards, to me this is why we keep bombing it, no one good enough to create space and break play up in this area, Walker could be the guy. The 50 goals was good but we did have to single him out and go to him a lot to get that, still think with his tools he should be a decent half forward.

Yeah Walker and Menzel look like a likely pair of quick, tallish half-forwards. Jones is certainly quick - but no point being quick if you don't run to the right spots (I'll give him time to fit in)! We're a long way off having a Houlihan / Fevola kick-mark-goal combo for now!

This is a job for Dr Frankenstein:

Casboult's marking, bulk and ability as a second-ruck
Jones' explosive power and ground-level agility
Watto's kicking
Henderson's all-round footy smarts

Very rare to find a complete package!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back