No Oppo Supporters 2016 General AFL Discussion Part 2 (Sydney Posters Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
The draft will become worthless when half of the players leave within 3 years of being drafted.

Always thought a 4 year draft contract might help...but then you have the AFLPA complaining that players' earning capacity is restricted. And clubs also get stuck with player for longer eating up precious cap space who might not work out.

Maybe they should institute a Cap Cash trade where the poaching team has to hand over some of it's cap space the next year to the club they're poaching from as a way to reimburse them for the lost of talent and development time.

This would only apply to clubs poaching players during their first 3 years, or when their first 3 year contract expires. They pay a penalty in their cap amounting to an average AFL wage for one season. And that cap space is handed over to the club losing its draft pick to use as they see fit the next year.

So in the Collingwood trade for Aish, they get Aish this year. But as the average AFL wage is set at $350k they then pay a $350k penalty in their cap for following season's draft (2016).

Brisbane, meanwhile, will have an extra $350k in their cap - which they can use to have a free shot at a FA or whatever next year.

Doesn't stop the go-home factor. But it makes it more painful for clubs to grab quality on the cheap, and it gives the 'losing' club a quick leg up to fill the hole. All this still means players get to the club they want.

Just a thought.

I agree in isolation he is definitely worth that to StKilda however the ASADA investigation worries me. He could still miss the next 2 years and if this happens he is probably only worth pick 16.

To complete the trade though pick 5 will need to be included. It will be interesting how it turns out.

Forgot about that, he is on the list too

But who would select a player that you know will leave you. He will probably still end up at Pies, Brisbane should swallow their pride and try and get something worthwhile.
This is what I feel as well, to me, just get rid of all this and impliment full free agency.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Lions playing hard ball with James Aish, while part of me admires them for trying to take a stand I suspect it will be in vain.

Honestly they are better off doing what we did under Roos - trade away their first round picks for experienced players (since they're going to lose them in a couple of years anyway), and try to pick up guys who can't get a gig at their current club and are hungry to play senior footy.

Someone on the Lions board hit the nail on the head with this post, which sums up why the academies are so important.

"I'm not sure fair deals are even possible when frontier clubs are losing their draftees. Any player is worth more in Vic/SA/WA than they are in Qld/NSW, which is why Aish is leaving. Worth more off-field, worth more to be in the thick of footy culture, worth more in most cases because they're closer to home/friends/family. And for all of those reasons they're worth less here because they're a flight risk.
Yes, there are exceptions but they only prove the rule. The exception whose home is a non-footy state. The exception who wants to get away from the spotlight. Maybe there might even be some exceptions who prefer off field opportunities like promoting the game in a frontier state too.
Do Collingwood have any players under 20 on their list who fit this description and have talent equivalent to James Aish or do we just have to settle for a pick to try and draft one again?"

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Lions playing hard ball with James Aish, while part of me admires them for trying to take a stand I suspect it will be in vain.

Honestly they are better off doing what we did under Roos - trade away their first round picks for experienced players (since they're going to lose them in a couple of years anyway), and try to pick up guys who can't get a gig at their current club and are hungry to play senior footy.

Someone on the Lions board hit the nail on the head with this post, which sums up why the academies are so important.

"I'm not sure fair deals are even possible when frontier clubs are losing their draftees. Any player is worth more in Vic/SA/WA than they are in Qld/NSW, which is why Aish is leaving. Worth more off-field, worth more to be in the thick of footy culture, worth more in most cases because they're closer to home/friends/family. And for all of those reasons they're worth less here because they're a flight risk.
Yes, there are exceptions but they only prove the rule. The exception whose home is a non-footy state. The exception who wants to get away from the spotlight. Maybe there might even be some exceptions who prefer off field opportunities like promoting the game in a frontier state too.
Do Collingwood have any players under 20 on their list who fit this description and have talent equivalent to James Aish or do we just have to settle for a pick to try and draft one again?"

Worried that we might end up the same way when we drop off, i didn't like hearing it and i hope Colless was being dramatic to make a point but on ABC Grandstand interview he said if the AFL remove COLA we would be wooden spooners within 5 years.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
The Loins look more like the exception than the norm. Underlying issues, hence lethal and Lambert landing back one would think.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Worried that we might end up the same way when we drop off, i didn't like hearing it and i hope Colless was being dramatic to make a point but on ABC Grandstand interview he said if the AFL remove COLA we would be wooden spooners within 5 years.

How long ago did he say that?

Personally I'm not too concerned about our future, Heeney and Mills are both top 10 picks, we can build our next premiership side around them and we will do it before Buddy retires. Remember we turned over just about our entire list between 2005 and 2012. Brisbane won all their flags with basically the same players, we won two flags with two different playing groups. We have enough talent to do it again, providing we trade well next year when our restrictions are removed.

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
The Loins look more like the exception than the norm. Underlying issues, hence lethal and Lambert landing back one would think.

Andrew Ireland was a big loss for them, god we are lucky we got him

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How long ago did he say that?

Personally I'm not too concerned about our future, Heeney and Mills are both top 10 picks, we can build our next premiership side around them and we will do it before Buddy retires. Remember we turned over just about our entire list between 2005 and 2012. Brisbane won all their flags with basically the same players, we won two flags with two different playing groups. We have enough talent to do it again, providing we trade well next year when our restrictions are removed.

Early 2014 or late 2013 when they were discussing the removing of COLA.

ABC grandstand interview you might be able to find it in the audio/video thread.

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Andrew Ireland was a big loss for them, god we are lucky we got him

Roger that.
As good a get as one T.Lockett RW, for Fu. The correlation in both teams trajectory since his swap cannot be coincidence only, one would think.

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
They have enough arrogant posters, might for a younger board, gold coast would be good, i like gazza

I knew it, you just want to make sure you'll be the big dog :p

Roger that.
As good a get as one T.Lockett RW, for Fu. The correlation in both teams trajectory since his swap cannot be coincidence only, one would think.

Andrew irelands nuts are on the line imo re buddy

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Yep. I just hope the club got it right about how much the cap will increase over the next few years. If they did I think we'll be OK - but we won't know until the time comes

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

Quite possibly, this is what he shall be marked on mostly. Not necessarily rightly.
Outside of Budster's current condition causing an earlier exit, I never felt that he would stay the 9.
How they work the rest out who knows. Pickering might parcel him off with some steak knives after five for Freo's turn in jumper sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back