2015 Giants Preseason News All In Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a shame this board is so dead, even an Intraclub game can't get any discussion going. Ah well.
You have to understand that our club is still in its infancy. By way of comparison, Carlton is a massive club, with a massive supporter base. Carltons BF board will be orders of magnitude more busy/interesting. Give us time to grow. I know you put an earlier post up on another thread saying you think of GWS as a second team, so put them into your profile under other teams. You may get some more response that way too.

I'm going through every player and who I thought was good
Stephen conligio- very good all day consistent effort needs to work on set shots 20 to 30 disposals best 22

Phil Davis good all day one on one has lots of time best 22 big year if he doesn't get injuries fingers crossed

Adam Kennedy run and carry very good out of the back line hard at it best 22

Tom bugg pretty average pop up early here and there best 22 not yet what I seen today

Curtly Hampton fantastic run and carry looking the goods with one and two combos kick a massive goal from 70m best 22 very impressive

Shane Mumford was good liked seeing him play up forward presented good kicked a goal and a couple of points going to big in the ruck hitting the ball to griff and trek oar and shiel

I've been at work... Who gets the votes?
Hard to call with so many guys out there. For mine:

Tomlinson
Treloar
Shiel
Smith
Davis

My favourite moment was last qtr: orange team get possesion from ball up on wing through Mummy to Treloar. Then something like: Treloar-Griffen-Treloar-Shiel-Treloar-Goal. All fluid, all running, and would have carved up any side. A glimplse of the future for some years to come I hope.

Adam treloar just a gun surberb through the midfield kicked two goals one from 50m gun best 22 30 to 40 disposals today

Jeremy Cameron kicked one goal I thought he used his body very good but correct did a pretty good job on him in the first half and then Davis pretty average tho best 22

Devon smith very good run and carry I think he will play that Robbie gray role gun kicked two goals hits targets best 22 easy big season ahead if he is not injuried.

Paul ahern kicked one goal thought he played a good game for a young fella getting Griffey holding the ball, kicking that goal from a clearance , and hitting that target in the first quarter with that penetrating kick would like to see him in the nab challenge one to watch.

Tom downie one goal presented well against Phillips in the ruck still think he is a fair bit of the best 22

Matt buntine very good game played well one on one and his run and ball use out of the back line was very good I think we will see him a lot more this year.

Aidan corr player alright good on jezza in the 1st half but still not that good a bit out of the best 22 but looking good.

Stephen conligo very good all day consistent effort needs to work on his set shots best 22 material would of got 20 to 30 disposals awesome.

Nick Haynes pop up here and there during the match like his run and carry but I thought bunting was better best 22 good to see him out there.

Nathan Wilson heaps good game today was hard at the contest very good by foot and hands and good run best 22

Joel patfull played average but had good combos with shaw his experience and cool head we will need best 22

Heath shaw good game nice runs out of the back line good one twos with patfull best 22

Andrew Phillips good in the ruck second best ruckman presented well

Jacob Townsend hard as nails player love the way he attacks the footy contested ball beast would be a good tagged this year hits hard best 22 possibly

Ryan Griffen was quiet early has the game progressed got better kicked one goal, he will be a very good asset in the best 22 loved his combo with shiel treloar and him and treloar a goal hope to see that more often

Jed lamb didn't see much early but was good late , finished witha goal always works hard just a bit out of the best 22 but pushing

Rory lobb presented well but nothing special didn't play that we'll

Jarred Pickett disappointing expected more thought he was one of the worst today

Jake Barrett I like the way this bloke goes about his footy reminds me a bit of brad Sewell not fast or flashy just gets on with it kicked 2 goals like to see more of him

Dylan Addison presented well up forward hitted the ball hard has good leader ship close to 22 but not yet kicked two goals and left at half time to look after his body.

Sam Schulz I didn't see him

Sam Reid he should still play afl his a gun backman

Dylan shiel probably best on ground 40 disposals plus easy just love his run and carry takes the game on every time in for a big 2015 if he doesn't get injuried it will be a dominant midfield with him Griffen and treloar.

Lachie Whitfield played good hard consistent game, just all class him and Kelly just going to destroy on the wing this year best 22.

Zac Williams awesome game probably one of the top performers today like to see how he goes in the nab cup hard at the ball knew when to run from the back line and set up play with his skill.

Pat McKenna expected a little bit more but was alright here and there.

Cam McCarthy presented well got in all the right spots kicked one good goal for the white team but dropped easy marks should of held them but it was humid. If he works on his marking he will have it all best 22.

Jack Steele probably him and Paul Ahern best draftees today, his just hard at has a real mature body reminds me of callan ward pushing for round 1 best 22.

Goals today q1
Palmer

Treloar
Palmer
Addison
Mumford
Cameron

Q2
Kelly
Smith
Addison

Q3
McCarthy
Jake Barrett
Paul Ahern
Curtly Hampton
Q4
Jake Barrett
Tomlinson
Ryan Griffen
Tomlinson
Treloar combo with shiel and Griffen
Jed lamb

I'd love to hear thoughts on how Steele Shaw and Hampton shaped up?
Steele seemed to be able to hold his own around the ball. Certainly a strong body on a young kid. He has a hunger for the contest, just needs to be cleaner and quicker. That will come as he adjusts to AFL level footy over the next couple of years.

Shaw was solid and seemed to gel well with Patfull. Seemed to be captaining White. He really does love the leadership role.

Hampton had a good game. Great movement and read of the play. Cuple of WTF moments with his disposal, but with confidence he has shown he cn be pretty clean. He knows his disposal can be shakey. He screamed in frustration at sending an inside fifty kick just over the boundary. This after a great run and carry. Caught Pickett watching him in admiration a couple of times.

You have to understand that our club is still in its infancy. By way of comparison, Carlton is a massive club, with a massive supporter base. Carltons BF board will be orders of magnitude more busy/interesting. Give us time to grow. I know you put an earlier post up on another thread saying you think of GWS as a second team, so put them into your profile under other teams. You may get some more response that way too.

Not to mention The Age/Sydney Morning Herald will cover every single aspect of all things Carlton.

You can just imagine the news article headlines after the intra-club match

-Kreuzer motivated to get back after watching intra-club from sidelines
-Malthause job on the line after intra-club match rant.
-Boekhorst tipped as future captain after intra-club performance
-"They're still not good enough". Mick sets the bar higher.

Of course there will be one GWS article, which would be something along the lines of

-GWS players desperate to get to Carlton

Last edited:
Just watched the intra club replay.
Treloar is going to have a great year. Midfield is looking great offensively. Hopefully Leon has got their defensive run going just as well.
Greene is a ball magnet and needs to work within his limitations.
Backline will be solid especially if Davis stays fit. I thought Wilson looks really solid and consistent whereas Curtley continues to provide great highs and lows.
Forward line is looking good (Jezza looking good) but lacks a power forward. The guy who can provide the physical presence is Mummy until Patton returns. I will be very surprised if Phillips doesn't play games early as he provides a contest and can allow Mummy to spend more time forward. I am not convinced any non ruckman on the list can provide the assistance required yet (Stewart and McCarthy don' have the weight/strength in my opinion to ruck). I doubt that Patton will ever ruck again.
Greene is a ball magnet and needs to work within his limitations.
McCarthy had an almost good game. Got to good position a lot but his hands weren't at all clean. I have great hopes for him though.
I expect at some stage this year, even for just a quater, we will see it all click and the Giants will blow a team out of the water.

[QUOTE
McCarthy I have great hopes for him though.
[/QUOTE]

Has heaps of potential...could grow into a game style with real swagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from the intra-club game yesterday, I saw noticeable improvement in the following;
Aidan Corr, Andrew Phillips, Nathan Wilson,

and of the established players, I'd have to confirm whats been said already
Treloar keeps getting better

I haven't watched the replay yet, caught a bit of the second qtr and start of 3rd on a stream that dropped out around Westmead and then again around Lidcome and again around Redfern (my god what an innings from AB de Villiers:eek:) but what I did see I liked very much.

Jack Steele will play this year, I expect to see him in at least the vest for a few games. Very composed.

Tomlinson is a machine. There was one passage of play where he took a mark in the goal square, dished it off to Davis who kicked out wide. At the end of a chain of kicks and hand passes, Tomlinson takes the mark on the lead on the fifty coming out to meet it. No defender is going to handle that.

They are all looking just slicker and more composed than last year. In times past,you could see what they were trying to do, flick it out to a team mate, over the shoulder, or whatever. The intent was there but the execution often let them down. In the bits I saw, a lot more of those slick little moves were working. The ball was being promoted effectively.

I know it was a scratch match and often a little scratchy, but there were also some really good passages that has me very happy this morning.

Oh, and that Curtly goal from inside the centre square (and not right on the line either - I mean deep inside the centre square) just on 3/4 time - :eek::):eek:

Last edited:
[QUOTE
McCarthy I have great hopes for him though.

Has heaps of potential...could grow into a game style with real swagger.[/QUOTE]
Fumbles are fine... That's just confidence... Everyone drops marks... But seeing him in good positions? Well that's the exciting bit

Another great example of sensational reporting ... it starts with "Jeremy Cameron in no hurry to sign", yet when you read his quotes a more accurate reflection would be "Cameron happy at Giants, in no hurry to leave"

I'm thinking that there's a Hun requirement for a Giants player who is yet to re-sign to feature fortnightly. While really it's the only story that's "newsworthy" for Victorian readers it makes it very annoying when the majority of players who are looking to move have been the ones stuck in NEAFL who would get a better opportunity back home in Melbourne.

Whats up with Ward why hasnt he been mentioned, did he not play in the intraclub?
He played a great game, particularly in the first half. He looks in great knick too. Watching the replay of the intraclub the other day, I'd almost sneek him into my top five.

One thing about Ward is he is so dependable. He might have one relatively quiet game in 20. He is your old fashioned, fearless, contested footy beast, and I would go to war with him any day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back