2015 Giants Preseason News All In Here

Remove this Banner Ad

New recruit Ryan Griffen has started his first day at the GIANTS with a bang, taking out a 3km time trial. Griffen stormed home to finish ahead of defender Nick Haynes and midfielder Dylan Shiel. Fellow recruit Joel Patfull and the rest of the GIANTS’ older players returned to the club today, a week and a half after the first-to-fourth year players commenced preparations for 2015. Griffen arrived in Sydney yesterday afternoon and is staying with co-captain and former Bulldogs teammate Callan Ward while he gets to know his new club. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-11-17/griffen-gets-to-work#sthash.oUFQO7AJ.dpuf

Haynes has me really hyped.....Griffen showing the way makes me even more pleased with trading whatshisname

Looked at the pre season photo's yesterday - gee Mohr is a big unit - huge biceps. Can't wait for him to get back.

Great to see the General getting involved.

Griffins always been a fitness freak
Not really. Never came close to winning our time trials. Boyd, Crameri, Cross, Wallis, even Picken beat him the last two years. Probably a more accurate reflection of where your running capacity needs to get to in comparison to other lists. Will improve over time i'm sure.

Not really. Never came close to winning our time trials. Boyd, Crameri, Cross, Wallis, even Picken beat him the last two years. Probably a more accurate reflection of where your running capacity needs to get to in comparison to other lists. Will improve over time i'm sure.

Pretty sure Griffen missed most of last years preseason due to his back issues, and the time trial he ran was not against the like of Tomlinson and Kelly or the majority of our list who started back a few weeks ago. But really who finished 1st or 2nd in these time trials means nothing its all about the times they do.

Pretty sure Griffen missed most of last years preseason due to his back issues, and the time trial he ran was not against the like of Tomlinson and Kelly or the majority of our list who started back a few weeks ago. But really who finished 1st or 2nd in these time trials means nothing its all about the times they do.
Missed some of it, but in years previous was a fair way off the mark. Boyd (Can do 3km in 9:10) and Cross (similar to Boyd) are in the upper echelon of players in the comp fitness wise, while Crameri and Wallis have absolutely elite endurance and are crazy trainers. Griffen was pretty consistent over the ears but never elite. His weapons aren't his fitness. He has an elite burst of speed and a raking left foot. His power is also what lets him break away from contests. Kicking is over rated, but effective and tended to bomb away a bit, but with Cameron in your forward line, he will learn to lower his eyes pretty quickly, I'd expect. Don't expect him to post fitness records though. Not his fortè at all.

Missed some of it, but in years previous was a fair way off the mark. Boyd (Can do 3km in 9:10) and Cross (similar to Boyd) are in the upper echelon of players in the comp fitness wise, while Crameri and Wallis have absolutely elite endurance and are crazy trainers. Griffen was pretty consistent over the ears but never elite. His weapons aren't his fitness. He has an elite burst of speed and a raking left foot. His power is also what lets him break away from contests. Kicking is over rated, but effective and tended to bomb away a bit, but with Cameron in your forward line, he will learn to lower his eyes pretty quickly, I'd expect. Don't expect him to post fitness records though. Not his fortè at all.
You know him so well :drunk:

The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS will return to the Sunshine Coast for a pre-Christmas training camp as they step up their campaign for 2015. The entire football department of about 70 players and staff will travel north from December 14-20 and will be based at the Noosa Tigers AFL Club in Noosaville. Head Coach Leon Cameron said: “The Sunshine Coast is an excellent location for our training camp as it gives our players an opportunity to train hard in warm, tropical conditions and build on their fitness as they prepare for the 2015 season. “We really enjoyed our time there last year and felt it gave us an excellent fitness base as we prepared for the season. I would like to thank the Noosa Tigers for the chance to again use their facilities as well as the Noosa Council and Tourism Noosa for welcoming us. “We are looking forward to getting up there and making the most of this opportunity to train hard and spend valuable time together before the Christmas break.” CEO of Tourism Noosa, Damien Massingham said: “We are delighted to once again welcome the GIANTS to Noosa. Noosa is fast becoming known as a great training destination for elite athletes and the GIANTS training camp is a great opportunity to showcase the diversity of great facilities on offer in Noosa for sporting groups.” - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-11-19/travelling-north#sthash.MqK6UKOm.dpuf

Awesome, I'll definitely be there to check it out, last time I was at the Noosa Tigers was 3 years ago watching the Lions.

Got my first piece of GWS merch for my birthday too - a bear figurine wearing GWS gear and a backpack. Hopefully I can snag an autograph or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's his second knee. Caution. Caution. Caution.

Good to see he's ahead of schedule. Happy for him. But FFS don't rush him back.

If you listen to our new High Performance Manager David Joyce talking acl's and long term injuries then you would have to think rushing any of our players back is no chance, its 27 minutes into the podcast http://www.sportsrehabexpert.com/public/954.cfm

Last edited:
It's his second knee. Caution. Caution. Caution.

Good to see he's ahead of schedule. Happy for him. But FFS don't rush him back.

I am sure the club will be cautious on Patton and Patton in that interview wasn't putting any timeframe on his return. Interesting to see the below though in Jay Clark's article.

Spearhead Jon Patton is on the comeback from a second knee reconstruction but according to football manager Graeme Allan was on track to return in Round 7 or 8.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ncern-for-giants/story-fnp04d70-1227133261658

I am sure the club will be cautious on Patton and Patton in that interview wasn't putting any timeframe on his return. Interesting to see the below though in Jay Clark's article.

Spearhead Jon Patton is on the comeback from a second knee reconstruction but according to football manager Graeme Allan was on track to return in Round 7 or 8.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ncern-for-giants/story-fnp04d70-1227133261658
return in round 7-8? wow thats amazing quick.... actually worryingly quick

return in round 7-8? wow thats amazing quick.... actually worryingly quick

I don't think you need to worry, they will be very conservative. I just think the great thing is that he is progressing without any hiccups which will allow him to get really fit and ready before he comes back. You hear so many stories of guys having setbacks in rehab and it is so great to hear he isn't having any this time.

We went past GCS this year{development list wise}.
Everybody make sure you get your memberships early and start wearing 2 pair if undies to games in 2015.
Got a feeling we will leave games with tent in pants,our list looks very very strong.
Its just been topped up for 3 years time and now has the amount of games needed to play a full season.
We also dont rely on 1 player to do all the heavy lifting.
Kelly-Whitfield to dominate midfield for the next 7 years

Everybody make sure you get your memberships early and start wearing 2 pair if undies to games in 2015.
Got a feeling we will leave games with tent in pants,our list looks very very strong.
Its just been topped up for 3 years time and now has the amount of games needed to play a full season.
I am definitely looking forward to next year, but I am keeping a lid on it to a degree. I would actually like to see steady and sustainable improvement. No point the young guys over reach in a late season desparate push for the eight (where there is not a realistic chance of making finals). Our young guns need keep hitting future preseasons with minimal delays due late season surgery etc.

To your first point, yep all paid up for 2015!

All paid up for wife and I.

Pumped. Counting down the days!

No reason why we couldnt make a go of it to get to finals. We dont just rely on one player, bought, traded and drafted great. Another year/off season in those superstar kids legs. Are we there yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back