2015 Giants Preseason News All In Here

Remove this Banner Ad

The western bulldogs page talk a lot about the giants and griffen I don't think they reckon they got a good deal the way they talk about us

Don't think it was even mentioned on here when Boyd got appendicitis. Funny how closely the giants are followed by doggies supporters. May as well buy a membership at this rate

Surprised AFL doesn't give out a GWS membership as part of every other club's pack: "Watch your club's stars of tomorrow, today!". Alternatively, GWS members could get a Dogs membership: "The breeding ground of our club's leaders!"

Jokes aside, I'm sure Griffen will be a major contributor this year and will be able to manage his back adequately as he did last year. He's a professional and should excel out of the limelight and out of a public leadership role. He's been a top midfielder for years and will be missed in the Dogs midfield, particularly by the younger players who are now in line for a harder tag.

It's a bit rich to pot Dogs supporters for taking an interest in how their former captain, who left in highly contentious circumstances, is going at his new club. Of course we're interested. I'm sure most GWS supporters were likewise blindsided and shocked when Boyd pulled the pin, which is why he went from future key forward lynchpin and leader to "no one associated with the club ever liked him and we wanted him gone anyway because he's a crap bloke" in an instant.

There's a good chance that there's more Dogs interest in Griffen than GWS interest in Boyd because our BigFooty forum is far more active and thus likely to generate more content. Given an equal number of supporters/posters, I'm sure Boyd-related content on the GWS BigFooty forum would equate with any Griffen content on the Dogs forum (which really isn't that much and usually only when there's a media story).

There is a lot of animosity on both sides as a result of what transpired. That animosity was actively encouraged by some of the media that came out of GWS. The Bulldogs had already lost Callan Ward, a future captain, to GWS; then our current captain leaves without warning to GWS and GWS produce a media release with #belessbulldog. That was pretty tasteless and intended solely to generate animosity and publicity, which it did temporarily.

As for whether we got a good deal, I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm ecstatic we got Tom Boyd and I think the price (Griffen & #6) was fair. I'm really excited about his potential and what he could become for the club, whilst at the same time conscious that we've invested heavily in him and you can't control the future.

There's now plenty of potential for a heated rivalry between our clubs, which is good for each of them and I'm sure pleasing to the AFL. I hope that when we play, both Griffen and Boyd are fit and firing the best team wins.

Surprised AFL doesn't give out a GWS membership as part of every other club's pack: "Watch your club's stars of tomorrow, today!". Alternatively, GWS members could get a Dogs membership: "The breeding ground of our club's leaders!"

Jokes aside, I'm sure Griffen will be a major contributor this year and will be able to manage his back adequately as he did last year. He's a professional and should excel out of the limelight and out of a public leadership role. He's been a top midfielder for years and will be missed in the Dogs midfield, particularly by the younger players who are now in line for a harder tag.

It's a bit rich to pot Dogs supporters for taking an interest in how their former captain, who left in highly contentious circumstances, is going at his new club. Of course we're interested. I'm sure most GWS supporters were likewise blindsided and shocked when Boyd pulled the pin, which is why he went from future key forward lynchpin and leader to "no one associated with the club ever liked him and we wanted him gone anyway because he's a crap bloke" in an instant.

There's a good chance that there's more Dogs interest in Griffen than GWS interest in Boyd because our BigFooty forum is far more active and thus likely to generate more content. Given an equal number of supporters/posters, I'm sure Boyd-related content on the GWS BigFooty forum would equate with any Griffen content on the Dogs forum (which really isn't that much and usually only when there's a media story).

There is a lot of animosity on both sides as a result of what transpired. That animosity was actively encouraged by some of the media that came out of GWS. The Bulldogs had already lost Callan Ward, a future captain, to GWS; then our current captain leaves without warning to GWS and GWS produce a media release with #belessbulldog. That was pretty tasteless and intended solely to generate animosity and publicity, which it did temporarily.

As for whether we got a good deal, I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm ecstatic we got Tom Boyd and I think the price (Griffen & #6) was fair. I'm really excited about his potential and what he could become for the club, whilst at the same time conscious that we've invested heavily in him and you can't control the future.

There's now plenty of potential for a heated rivalry between our clubs, which is good for each of them and I'm sure pleasing to the AFL. I hope that when we play, both Griffen and Boyd are fit and firing the best team wins.
One of the the more reasonable posts from a Dogs supporter on the matter. Naturally biased to your club's perspective of course, but mine would be the same for Giants. However, you have temper this Boyd versus Griff interest. Even with equal numbers of BF contributers, there would be far less interest from us on your board. The guy was five minutes with us and genuinely didn't want to stay. We were always going to move on far quicker with Boyd, than Dogs with Griff. The impact of #belessbulldog is not temporary. You have proved my point above.

In the end, a deal was done. Both sides are reasonably satisfied now the dust has settled. And commentators seemed split on 'who won'. You are right about a graowing rivalry. If we can both grow in power at the same rate and have some tough match day battles, then it will turn out to be some rivalry.

Dogs supporters should be grateful there's plenty of news about Griffen. I got a Giants membership purely for Joel Patfull and there's next to nothing said about him!

Shame that the Dogs aren't playing the Giants in Sydney this year, that would be one interesting game to get to!

(Kicking myself for getting a regular 3 game membership when my Dad now lives within walking distance of Manuka! Dumb dumb dumb!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's awesome, thanks heaps.

So are we going to discuss Will H and Steve Cog?
Cogs is an interesting one. Has been happy to make positive noises in the media, and seems happy with his lot at GWS. All of this doesn't amount to much until a contract is signed...for better or for worse. He would have to be looking at his role in the mid field, and whether he is a walk up start in the next few years. He should be, but doubts could see him directing his manager to look at options. Hope he stays.

He said Joel patful and Ryan griffin have been real good and Ryan griffins a freak and dylan shiel has been absoultely carving up in match simulation

Great to finally get some news about Joelly Patfull. I've already got him down for this years Club Champion - and I'm almost never wrong about Joel (last three times I predicted his winning he won two and came third. He's awesome). :)

That's awesome, thanks heaps.

So are we going to discuss Will H and Steve Cog?

Nope because otherwise we'll be getting the West Coast and Victorian posters on here like flies. :p

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...gs-to-gws-giants/story-fnia4199-1227219078054

IN the short history of the Giants Ryan Griffen is unique, he’s the first player to choose them rather than the Giants chose him.
At the peak of his footballing talents the former Western Bulldogs captain could have pretty much gone to any club he liked but he picked the team which has won just nine games from it’s first 66.

Can I please hit someone? I was under the impression that Joel Patfull chose the Giants over the Swans and that trade came before Griffen?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back