Redgum

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo Footy Club
Can anyone remember what this was last year?. Got my renewal & and they want $45.00 ( which is not refundable ) for the grand final upgrade, I don't remember it being that high last year, I have a recollection of it being around $10.00 in the past. I think this charge is a bit rich, and seems purely a money grabbing scheme because of our success and the enormous interest from supporters to get to the MCG. By the way I have been paying this extra right back from its inception & certainly do not want to lose my position in the queue.

I think it was $35 last year, up from $30 the year before.

At one point I think Geelong were slugging their supporters more than $100 for their upgrades.

Wow, $45 is a fair bit of cash alright, especially considering memberships for the WA clubs are expensive and so too the flights, accomodation, and of course tickets for the Grand Final itself.

And especially since 2015 is by no means looking a likely premiership season

It's a bit sly, last year I thought they did well to only bump it by $5, but this year they've gone harder!

I'll still pay, just one less bottle of wild turkey for the year for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why shouldn't they charge more? It's a business. They could price it at $100 if they think they'd sell them all.

It is, but it's also a sporting club constituted by members that, ideally, would cater for as many people as possible while still being financially successful. So if your end is only to make as much money as one can, then yeah, J.S. Mill come on down - the value is as much as people are willing to pay and this maximises profit (and in theory productivity). But if your end is to have as much participation and sense of belonging and ownership as is reasonably possible, then being mindful of cost should be a factor.

Either way, political economic theorising aside, I think it's a bit steep myself but I wouldn't call it obscene at this stage of things. I always thought $30 was reasonable value a few years back.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, I was paying $10 or $15 a year when spending that cash on a lottery ticket would have been playing the odds. Now it's $45 but if I turn it down there is a line back to Freo of people wanting to sign up.

Always sucks to be paying more but it's hard to blame the club for meeting demand.

It's still capped isnt it? Those already in the scheme have first refusal? I thought it was 10k members only

I think it was $35 last year, up from $30 the year before.

At one point I think Geelong were slugging their supporters more than $100 for their upgrades.

This is correct and god were they whinging about it.
Lived in geelong for 3 years and its all i heard when membership renewals came around.

Why shouldn't they charge more? It's a business. They could price it at $100 if they think they'd sell them all.
Sort of but not really. It's also an entity that lives off its supporters and has no financial reason to ask them for help. It should do the right thing by the people who support, patronise a side, who have achieved precisely nothing. The club has facilities built by governments, is already well off, sits in the rare and privileged position where there's more demand than access for tickets... this is a club who give a few million a year to keep WA country and local footy on its feet and can still pay huge dollars to Ross Lyon and be in the top few clubs in terms of revenue.

What are they going to do with that extra 5,000 x $45 dollars? Is it really going to be the difference between a flag and a lost Grand Final?

It's not like this is North Melbourne or Western Bulldog and the club has a finite, small supporter base and essentially no cash. If you were a fan of those clubs, you'd probably pay it because you know the club needs it – and it could be the difference between being in debt and being clear financially, or having Danny Frawley your coach instead of Paul Roos.

It's a bit like how the club was apparently asking for "gold coin donations" for a scratchie last pre-season, despite not advertising or implying who this donation was benefitting. Everyone would give two dollars to walk in and see a run around if that two dollars was going to Starlight or any other decent charity (I'd imagine there'd be people who'd chuck in five or ten bucks, too). But for the club to probably pocket it? Pretty s**t. Especially under the guise of 'donation.' Again, you'd give the club a dollar if the club needed it. The club doesn't.

Shifty s**t like this is what gets your supporters off-side. Even $20 is enough for Freo to make a few dollars and for some people to have a seat at a Grand Final. Constantly chucking higher demands for no discernible reason is pretty s**t

Geez the ******* whinging.

Freo is a profit oriented business its not a charity. Its supply v demand. If you dont want to pay it - dont!.

The club is a not for profit entity. Pays no income tax for that reason.

But that's not really the point. Even businesses that can raise more money from a particular activity sometimes choose not to - for reasons as simple as generating goodwill. Sure, the club is going reasonably well now and the supporters are happy, but if you gouge them in the good times then come the bad times they'll remember. And they might not be as happy to cough up then. And when times are bad, that's when you might really need the money.

The foundation of a football club is the loyal fans. You don't treat them like s**t just because you can.

Geez the ******* whinging.

Freo is a profit oriented business its not a charity. Its supply v demand. If you dont want to pay it - dont!.

A profit oriented business?

I'd prefer to be on the bones of our arse if it meant gazing admirably at the premierships in our cabinet.

Now I acknowledge these things aren't mutually exclusive, but it's a bit of a piss-take when in 2014 we fared worse than 2013... Perhaps we do have a secret star signing yet to be announed...

Ok, not strictly a profit oriented business but its there to make money, i.e to pay for more player services and cockburn. Unfortunately its not the local footy club - its about money and being successful to improve the club.

I didnt say rip off but $30-$45 is still reasonable considering its a limited product and in demand. As Alfonz said there be a market @ $100, not mine but others would pay it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back