2015 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

I've counted votes using Instagram and other social media avenues (for punting purposes) at least the last four years now with plenty of joy. From this it's very hard to see Kendrick Lamar and The Rubens not being 1 and 2 respectively. They were about 40% and 20% ahead of Lean On and the two main Tame Impala songs.

In saying that, while social media is usually a good indicator for most of the count there is the odd curve ball, I had 1998 (Chet Faker) an absolute certainty for 3rd last year and it was only about 8th.

If not for 1 and 2 being the wrong way around Instagram data had top 5 in exact order. Special thanks to William Hill, the a-hole of all bookmakers, for having Hoops at $17 for a lonnnnngggg time.

Hahaha this thread is a great read

Rather pleased with the countdown this year, would have liked Hotline Bling higher but was always projected 10-20th in the votes.

Also just glad Lean On didn't win, was happy with King Kunta or Hoops so when #3 was announced I was pleased!

Thanks as always to thewitness for his predictions!

Pond Zond
San Cisco Too Much Time Together
Alabama Shakes Don't Wanna Fight

Mini Mansions Vertigo
CHVRCHES Clearest Blue
Marcus Marr The Trouble with Us
Violent Soho Like Soda
Disclosure Magnets

Muse Reapers
Art vs Science Enter Sandman {triple j Like A Version}

6 of my 10 made it.
Sorta surprised that no Muse got in at all.

Of all the garbage that was played, you plebs call out Kendrick & Tame Impala?? :drunk:

DO you ride off the coat tails of things?

Impala is the same old s**t song after song, album after album.

Bored of it now.

Of all the garbage that was played, you plebs call out Kendrick & Tame Impala?? :drunk:
Tame Impala are a very good band. Kendrick Lamar stinks though - terrible flow, a lot of average bars, rubbish collaborations all for $$$. This new wave of commercial rappers (Drake, A$AP, Kendrick etc.) are just awful. Standards for rappers have significantly lowered post the year 2000 because the genre has been dead for some time now. 50 Cent was the beginning of the end. None of these rappers would've survived had they been around throughout the Tupac and Biggie era. You could make a case for Kendrick as he's probably the best of a bad bunch but if you put him against hip-hop legends he is just a midget. Kendrick fans are either too young to know better or they're content with accepting mediocrity. There is some decent rap going round but you're not going to find it in the Hottest 100.

Tame Impala are a very good band. Kendrick Lamar stinks though - terrible flow, a lot of average bars, rubbish collaborations all for $$$. This new wave of commercial rappers (Drake, A$AP, Kendrick etc.) are just awful. Standards for rappers have significantly lowered post the year 2000 because the genre has been dead for some time now. 50 Cent was the beginning of the end. None of these rappers would've survived had they been around throughout the Tupac and Biggie era. You could make a case for Kendrick as he's probably the best of a bad bunch but if you put him against hip-hop legends he is just a midget. Kendrick fans are either too young to know better or they're content with accepting mediocrity. There is some decent rap going round but you're not going to find it in the Hottest 100.

I've never liked any of the other Kendrick songs I've ever heard (terrible flow as you say) but King Kunta is a cracking tune imo.

One of only a handful of songs I really liked in the countdown (Puppet Theatre and Do You Remember the other standouts for me, though I missed 75-100 in the morning). Definitely would have liked it to take out the count ahead of that bland piece of meh that came #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone that is having a whinge that hoops won, what song do you think should have won? I would have been happy with any of the top 3 winning. I thought lean on had it in the bag but was still happy with Hoops.

very average countdown all up, lots of shite making it, lots of good tracks not

Hoops is a good song, but not sure if it's a number 1. then again, same could be said for King Kunta, Lean On, Let It Happen etc

overall another fun day of tunes, beers, bbq and not working

and that's 5 out of the last 6 years that an Aussie band/artist has won the countdown (Thrift Shop the exception) and coincidence? I think not at all, seems like it'll always be this way

SO HAPPY TAME IMPALA DIDN'T WIN.

Also love people who never ever contribute to this forum come in and act like they know everything.

The big thing this countdown told me was that guitar music is officially dead. I love post-punk; I was reared on the NME indie heap of 2005. But that countdown showed it was dead. No one likes it. I never want to say this about a medium you think is timeless, but somehow it seems like it no longer is. How many bands are really relevant anymore? Who even starts a guitar band anymore? Are we all going to end up digging people like MØ who team up and collaborate and release their own bangers every so often? I don't know, but I wouldn't hate that. I guess kids can love one person, but in some ways, I think the notion of looking up to four skinny boys from London or a city cooler than yours is special and it's bizarre that it's basically no more.

Anyway, to the countdown itself...

Couldn't believe Freazy didn't make it. I listen to JJJ at work, and they play it at least three times every shift.

Aaaaand... s**t number one but 17-year olds will always vote for some lame Aussie band they can see at GTM over a genuine zeitgeist piece like Kunta or Lean On – two influential, meaningful songs that have entered the psyche, record books, and Barack's iPhone. Hoops is bad, but at least it's not as bad as Chet ******* Fake-arse.

By the way, The Trouble With Us basically sounds like a Jamiroquai single. And JK is a total twat. He might have some funky songs but ripping off other bands is becoming some sort of Aussie thing now. Flume did it to Toro Y Moi and Washed Out and chillwave et al (Gorilla vs Bear would no doubt be entitled to half his royalties), but now even Rubens are ripping off bloody Chet Faker. A sad time.

Last edited:
You must have absolutely zero knowledge of Tame Impala, you're embarrassing yourself by saying that.

I know they're the most overrated act of the modern era

And I think Kevin Parker played guitar on Uptown Funk, but he didn't write any of it

Yeah they should definitely weight votes next year. Was great reading a lot of the dribble on here today. Cheers!!

Strong second post

SO HAPPY TAME IMPALA DIDN'T WIN.

Also love people who never ever contribute to this forum come in and act like they know everything.

The big thing this countdown told me was that guitar music is officially dead. I love post-punk; I was reared on the NME indie heap of 2005. But that countdown showed it was dead. No one likes it. I never want to say this about a medium you think is timeless, but somehow it seems like it no longer is. How many bands are really relevant anymore? Who even starts a guitar band anymore? Are we all going to end up digging people like MØ who team up and collaborate and release their own bangers every so often? I don't know, but I wouldn't hate that. I guess kids can love one person, but in some ways, I think the notion of looking up to four skinny boys from London or a city cooler than yours is special and it's bizarre that it's basically no more.

Anyway, to the countdown itself...

Couldn't believe Freazy didn't make it. I listen to JJJ at work, and they play it at least three times every shift.

Aaaaand... s**t number one but 17-year olds will always vote for some lame Aussie band they can see at GTM over a genuine zeitgeist piece like Kunta or Lean On – two influential, meaningful songs that have entered the psyche, record books, and Barack's iPhone. Hoops is bad, but at least it's not as bad as Chet ******* Fake-arse.

By the way, The Trouble With Us basically sounds like a Jamiroquai single. And JK is a total twat. He might have some funky songs but ripping off other bands is becoming some sort of Aussie thing now. Flume did it to Toro Y Moi and Washed Out and chillwave et al (Gorilla vs Bear would no doubt be entitled to half his royalties), but now even Rubens are ripping off bloody Chet Faker. A sad time.

Half the countdown was bland elctro-pop naff

Listening to it I was like

9T1kgIr.gif

s**t flow?? Kendrick????? Jesus, get your head out of your ass

Remove this Banner Ad

Back